Biggest Brains in DC

McManus

Re: Biggest Brains in DC

You know I always considered the whole "third smartest man in the world" to be a PR thing and a reasonably shrewd one. After all, if he had called himself "the smartest man in the world" then he would be forever facing challengers who wanted to prove themselves smarter than him. As "third smartest" then most who would challenge the claim would just assume they were one of the two smarter than him.

I tried to assemble a similar list for Marvel, but I'm just too out of touch there. I can call up the classic names (Doom, "RICHARDS!," Stark, etc.) but there are a lot of new ones, apparently, that I've never heard of. Who is Amadeus Cho? Or any of the mega brains that the X-Men seem to conjure up every other month? I'm going to have to leave that alone.

I tried to assemble a similar list for Marvel' date=' but I'm just too out of touch there. I can call up the classic names (Doom, "RICHARDS!," Stark, etc.) but there are a lot of new ones, apparently, that I've never heard of. Who is Amadeus Cho? Or any of the mega brains that the X-Men seem to conjure up every other month? I'm going to have to leave that alone.[/quote']

Amadeus Cho is a really awsome (or really annoying) character that was created by Greg Pak as sort of a bizarre super genius Rick Jones replacement.

He's supposedly ONLY the 7th smartest person on the planet (per Reed Richards), but he does positively unreal things with his intellect. He really makes most of the other geniuses in the MU look like amateurs at times. To pull off some of the stuff he's done would probably also require superhuman timing and reflexes though... He sort of has a Divinci Code visual effect to his ability, in that he sees numbers and computations overlay on top of whatever problem he's trying to solve.

Anyhow, he was one of the only people that believed in and was trying to help the Hulk during the World War hulk story. In the process he befriended Hercules (and a few other heroes and SHIELD agents) and has been paling around with him ever since.

They haven't officially declared who the other 6 smartest people in the MU are, as far as I know. Richards and Doom are presumed to be up there though, along with the likes of the Mad Thinker, Banner, Stark, Pym, McCoy, Forge and the High Evolutionary.

That is excluding non humans though...

It's good to see Ted Kord getting some respect. Mind you, Guy's bias against Batman makes a lot of what he says suspect, but he did say Ted was smarter than Batman "although nobody ever noticed" :)

Ted was not as confident in his intellect as most human DC Geniuses, but I would have him in my top 10.

Not a lot of Girl-Geniuses there, are there? (Marvel as well by the by)

Though the smartest ladies I know of the DC Universe are:

Oracle

Rampage (when not berserk)

...Braniac 5's Mom?

Which is where the Corvus had her best line in our current campaign:

"Don't feel bad Dr. Richards, you are still the smartest man I've ever met . . ."

I love this topic.

I am of the firm belief that the smartest human being in the DCU is Lyle Norg, but he doesn't count since he's a thousand years in the future.

Ted Knight's work in physics is remembered in the 853rd Century. Ted Kord has an IQ of 180. but they're both dead now. (For the time being anyway)

Barry Allen - I honestly don't think Barry is one of the DCU's ultra-geniuses. He and Bart are both knowledgeable, thanks to being able to absorb information at superspeed, and Barry certainly had a science-filled background to begin with. I would consider him smart, but no in a top 10 or top 20.

Lex Luthor is clearly one of the smartest human beings on the planet.

Ray Palmer would definitely make a top 20 list for me.

Will Magnus and the Chief would also hit the top 20.

Dr. Sivana, Ira Quimby, T.O. Morrow would definitely be up there.

Batman... is a special case. I think Batman is a tactical genius, but the modern interpretation of him definitely downplays his inventor credentials - seems like he outsources most gadget building. He'd probably get in my top 20.

More later if I have time..