Wonder Woman on 350 points

Hyper-Man

Hi everyone.

I am working on building Wonder Woman as a modern beginning Hero.

I am looking for suggestions on what everyone think her core abilites should consist of.

Should she:

1. be as strong as Superman or slightly less STR and Martial Arts instead?
  2. have flight naturally or via a focus (sandals or invisible plane)?
  3. have the ability to force absolute truth from anyone ensnared in her lasso?
  4. excepting her Golden Lasso and Bracelets, have unhindered access to the rest of her abilities (or should she have some abilites OIHID or "Not Usable when bound at the wrists by a male")?
  5. have any resistant defenses via Combat Luck and/or costume focus based (Act 11-)?

As always comments and suggestions are welcome.

Re: Wonder Woman on 350 points

I think Flight is a yes, while classicaly it was the invisible plane, it has been 20 years of her flying on her own.

Str shoulld probably be a bit less than supes (-20 or so maybe...), plus MA's

Lasso should have a detect truth power. As an interesting thing you could build it as a Detect Truth instead of a mental power, the F/X is the guy talking. IIRC someone can still refuse to talk while under the effect of the lasso, just can't lie...

On the whole man thing, again see what I said about flight, no

Yes on Combat Luck, no on costume. Also as long as we are talking about Defence, I found the best way to do her bracelets was as a semi huge DCV bonus...

Most versions of Wonder Woman have Superman as considerably stronger and tougher, but not all. The original Marsden Wonder Woman, in particular, was meant to be "As strong as (Golden Age) Superman" (Marsden's words). Still, the Silver and Bronze Age Wonder Woman almost always ranked a few steps down from Superman and other Kryptonians, but with the combat skills to make up for it. Superman has definitely been Worfed to Wonder Woman a few times in the "Modern" age, but then he's been Worfed by a fair range of characters. The animated JLU Wonder Woman did much better than Superman in many fights, but was specifically noted as not being able to stand toe to toe with his top tier foes.

From my own experience with Wonder Woman tributes (the Athenian from my old New Circle group, or Daya Clayton from the pulp threads), your best bet to fit everything is to use Foci or Only in Hero ID. Some versions are Foci dependent, some aren't.

I'd go for 45 or so STR plus Martial Arts, a very good Dex and CV, the Bracers as Armor with Restrainable rather than Missile Deflection, and most of her powers tied to one foci or another. The OIHID can replace the individual Foci limits if she can just change back and forth to call everything together again. I'd top off her DCs about 2-4 under Superman's, and similarly rank her defenses.

What do you think of the following?:

17 Bracers: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Adjacent Hex (+1/2), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; +1) (50 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Lockout (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2) 5

Notes: The Trigger allows the Missile Deflection to be used without the normal -2 per each extra attack penalty. The Lockout means that use of this ability still takes an attack action like a normal Block or Missile Deflection roll. If used against a large enough barrage of fire (ex: multiple mini-guns) the ability can still occasionaly fail. Roll once per Phase for normal attacks. Make additional rolls for each additional 10 shots per Phase.

Golden Lasso of Truth (list), all slots OAF (-1)

13 1) Stretching 8", Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (50 Active Points); Limited Power Only for Grabs and Throws (-1), Always Direct (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Limited Body Parts (-1/4) 4

13 2) Area Of Effect Accurate (up to One Hex; +1/2) for up to 60 Active Points of STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points); Limited Power Only for Grabs and Throws (-1), Linked (Stretching; -1/2)

14 3) Drain EGO 1d6 (standard effect: 3 points), Area Of Effect Accurate (One Hex; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Sticky (+1/2), Continuous (+1), No Normal Defense ([standard]; +1) (50 Active Points); Limited Power Only For Making Target Tell The Truth (-1), Linked (Stretching; -1/2)

Why not just build the last function of the lasso as levels in Interrogation through a focus? The special effect may be to rob the target of the ability to lie' date=' but isn't the game effect to glean knowledge by questioning?[/quote']

If I include the ability at all I want to emphasize it's relentless nature. The target's EGO shouldn't matter in the final outcome. A stronger willed character just might take longer to effect. She's used it on GODS before.

Hero System 5th Edition, Revised ■ Chapter One

page 37

EGO (EGO)

Ego represents a character’s mental strength and strength of will. EGO helps a character when he undergoes a test of willpower, becomes wounded, resists interrogation or Mental Powers, or tries to overcome his Psychological Limitations (see page 336). One point of EGO costs 2 Character Points.

EGO Rolls

Use EGO Rolls when a character must succeed in a test of willpower. This includes things like resisting temptation or attempts by others to intimidate him, overcoming the effects of a Psychological Limitation, or to keep going against the odds.

Negative Ego

At EGO 0 or below a character must succeed with an EGO Roll to act each Phase. The character follows all orders given to him from any source unless he succeeds with an EGO Roll. Characters who fail the EGO Roll may initiate no Actions of their own. Characters with an EGO of -30 (or minus their initial EGO value, whichever is better for the character) or less may take no Actions unless ordered to do so.

If a character makes the EGO Roll, not only can he reject an order given to him, but he’s free to do something of his own choice that Phase without making a second EGO Roll. In the absence of instructions, characters with a negative EGO tend to follow the dictates of any applicable Psychological Limitations they have. Treat such Psychological Limitations as if they were an order from someone. In the event the character receives multiple orders in the same Phase, if he fails an EGO Roll he attempts to carry out all orders. If the orders contradict in some fashion, the character does nothing.

What do you think of the following?:

17 Bracers: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Adjacent Hex (+1/2), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; +1) (50 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Lockout (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2) 5

Notes: The Trigger allows the Missile Deflection to be used without the normal -2 per each extra attack penalty. The Lockout means that use of this ability still takes an attack action like a normal Block or Missile Deflection roll. If used against a large enough barrage of fire (ex: multiple mini-guns) the ability can still occasionaly fail. Roll once per Phase for normal attacks. Make additional rolls for each additional 10 shots per Phase.

Golden Lasso of Truth (list), all slots OAF (-1)

13 1) Stretching 8", Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (50 Active Points); Limited Power Only for Grabs and Throws (-1), Always Direct (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Limited Body Parts (-1/4) 4

13 2) Area Of Effect Accurate (up to One Hex; +1/2) for up to 60 Active Points of STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points); Limited Power Only for Grabs and Throws (-1), Linked (Stretching; -1/2)

14 3) Drain EGO 1d6 (standard effect: 3 points), Area Of Effect Accurate (One Hex; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Sticky (+1/2), Continuous (+1), No Normal Defense ([standard]; +1) (50 Active Points); Limited Power Only For Making Target Tell The Truth (-1), Linked (Stretching; -1/2)

Bracers seem overly complex to me, I think either a simple armor or a insane DCV bonus is simpler and works just as well in practice, also ditch the following modifiers on the Drain, they are not needed: Accurate (They are already at reduced DCV do to being grabed). Persistent, & Sticky. This is not a fire and forget attack, she is activly holding them, keep continous however. However, good idea on the Drain

If I include the ability at all I want to emphasize it's relentless nature. The target's EGO shouldn't matter in the final outcome. A stronger willed character just might take longer to effect. She's used it on GODS before.

Hero System 5th Edition, Revised ■ Chapter One

page 37

Gods have also absolutly ignored it at times as well, it really is a what the plot needs power

I built Wonder Woman on 250 points. Here's how I wrote up her Bracelets and Magic Lasso

Armor +10 rPD +10 rED, DEX +5 [No Figured Characteristics (-1/2)], Nonpersistent (-1/4), Restrainable (-1/2), OIF: Bracelets (-1/2)

Cost 18 Points

The increased DEX not only reflects (pun intended) the bracelets avoiding damage but Wonder Woman's training in using them in combat. The cost is the same for CSL: DCV +2 but more flexible as she can now use them offensively. Since she can't use the bracelets when she's entangled, or when she's unconscious, the Bracelets are Nonpersistent.

EC (Magic Lasso)-25 Points, [1c/1 Minute Duration/Recoverable] (-1/2), OAF: Magic Lasso (-1)

1) Mind Control 10d6, Set Effect ["Tell The Truth"] (-1/2), No Range (-1/2)

2) Stretching 10", Always Direct (-1/4), No Noncombat (-1/4), Only to Grab (-1/2)

Cost 24 Points

The Recoverable Charge is useful as it doesn't cost END to use. The One Minute Duration was somewhat arbitrary on my part, but it allows continuous use, and in game terms a minute is an eternity.

I appreciate the simplicity of using a set defense like Armor to represent the bracelet based Missile Deflection but it doesn't fit my tastes.

My goal in creating any homage character is a balance of maximum accuracy and minimum game time complexity.

I believe that Wonder Woman is the poster child for HERO Missile Deflection (much in the same way that Spider-Man is the same for HERO Clinging). Her Bracelets are a type of Invulnerability. Either they work or they don't. It just happens to be a very rare thing for them not to work for her (I don't know of a case in the comics but JLU:Animated shows it happen vs. Amazo when he used Flash and Green Lanterns abilities together vs. her).

Regarding STR, I have Superman at 60, Martian Manhunter at 55, and Wonder Woman at 50.

Superman goes to STR 30 when exposed to Green Kryptonite or Red Solar Radiation. He's stronger then normal humans because Krypton was a world with heavier gravity. His true superhuman strength comes from Yellow Sun Energy and is built into an EC.

Martian Manhunter is normally STR 30, and can boost his STR to 55 through a multipower. Since he has so many powers (Telepathy, Invisibility, Desolid) I thought that a Multipower was the way to go. He loses the Multipower when Surrounded by Fire (I thougth just being exposed to a flame to rob him of his powers was silly).

Wonder Woman is normally STR 50. When her bracelets are chained together by a man it goes down to STR 25. This was written as a PhyL (Infrequently/Greatly). The television version would have had her STR come from her Magic Belt, an IAF.

I still need to work on disadvantages but here is what I have so far:

Wonder Woman

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

25/55 STR 15 14- / 20- Lift 800.0kg/51.2tons; 5d6/11d6 [2/5]

21/24 DEX 33 13- / 14- OCV: 7/8/DCV: 7/8

25 CON 30 14-

19 BODY 18 13-

18 INT 8 13- PER Roll 13-

10 EGO 0 11- ECV: 3

15 PRE 5 12- PRE Attack: 3d6

30 COM 10 15-

21/27 PD 10 Total: 21/27 PD (6 rPD)

21 ED 10 Total: 21 ED (6 rED)

4 SPD 9 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

10/16 REC 0

50 END 0

45/60 STUN 0

Total Characteristic Cost: 148

Movement:

Running: 6"/12"

Flight: 10"/20"

Leaping: 5"/10"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

Wisdom of Athena (list)

8 1) Mental Defense (10 points total)

7 2) Universal Translator 13- (20 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2)

11 Bracelets forged from the Aegis: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates, Misfire; +3/4) (35 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Lockout (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Required Hands One-And-A-Half-Handed (-1 OCV if used 1 Handed; -1/4) 3

Notes: The Trigger allows the Missile Deflection to be used without the normal -2 penalty per deflection attempt. Instead, just use a single roll vs. each common group of attacks (like a group of agents with the same type of gun). Lockout represents that use of this ability still takes an attack action like a normal Block or Missile Deflection roll (still requires an Abort). Misfire on Trigger reqpresents that if used against a large enough barrage of fire the chance of failure can increase (ex: Amazo copies Flash's superspeed and combines it with GL's ring blasts). Every extra 10 attacks per phase require an additional roll with the standard -2 penalty.

11 The Golden Lasso: Elemental Control, 50-point powers, (25 Active Points); all slots OAF (Lasso; -1), Gestures (-1/4)

7 1) Stretching 10" (50 Active Points); Limited Power Only for Grabs and Throws (-1), Always Direct (-1/4), Limited Body Parts (-1/4) 5

8 2) Area Of Effect (up to 2" radius; +3/4) for up to 55 Active Points of STR, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (51 Active Points); Limited Power Only for Grabs and Throws (-1) 2

19 The Fires of Hestia: Multipower, 56-point reserve, (56 Active Points); all slots OAF (Golden Lasso; -1), Conditional Power Only usable vs. target(s) grabbed using Golden Lasso (-1)

1u 1) Drain EGO 1 1/2d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1/4), Penetrating (+1/2), Area Of Effect (2" radius; +3/4), Continuous (+1) (56 Active Points); Limited Power Only to force truthful answers from anyone held within the Lasso. (-1) 2

1u 2) Healing 1d6+1 (standard effect: 4 points), any [special effect] power one at a time (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Area Of Effect (2" radius; +3/4), Decreased Re-use Duration (5 Minutes; +1), Continuous (+1) (55 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4) 2

1u 3) Major Transform 1d6, Improved Results Group (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Penetrating (+1/2), Area Of Effect (2" radius; +3/4), Continuous (+1) (56 Active Points); Limited Power Only to Heal other Transforms (-1), No Range (-1/2) 2

1u 4) Dispel 3d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Cumulative (+1/2), Penetrating (+1/2), Area Of Effect (2" radius; +3/4), Continuous (+1), all [special effect] powers simultaneously (+2) (54 Active Points); Limited Power Only to "break" other effects (-1), No Range (-1/2) 2

Golden Belt of Atlas, all slots IIF (-1/4)

24 1) +30 STR (30 Active Points) 3

Sandals of Hermes, all slots IIF (-1/4)

5 1) +3 DEX (9 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2)

24 Sandals of Hermes: Multipower, 30-point reserve, (30 Active Points); all slots IIF Unbreakable (-1/4)

2u 1) +3 Overall Levels (30 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) 3

2u 2) Flight 10", Variable Advantage (+1/4 Advantages; +1/2) (30 Active Points) 3

2u 3) Extra-Dimensional Movement - Travel to Paradise Island (Single Dimension), x4 Increased Weight (30 Active Points) 3

Themysciran Martial Arts

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

8 +2 HTH Damage Class(es)

4 Martial Block +2 +2 Block, Abort

4 Martial Escape +0 +0 50 STR / 80 STR vs. Grabs

3 Martial Grab -1 -1 Grab Two Limbs, 45 STR / 75 STR for holding on

4 Martial Strike +0 +2 9d6 / 15d6 Strike

3 Martial Throw +0 +1 7d6 / 13d6 +v/5, Target Falls

Perks

2 Reputation: It's the Amazon! (A large group) 11-, +1/+1d6

Talents

12 Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)

Skills

3 Breakfall 13- (14-)

2 CK: Themyscira 11-

3 Concealment 13-

1 Conversation 8-

3 Deduction 13-

1 High Society 8-

1 Hoist 8-

3 Linguist

1 1) Language: English (fluent conversation) (2 Active Points)

1 2) Language: Greek (Koine) (fluent conversation) (2 Active Points)

0 3) Language: Themysciran (imitate dialects) (5 Active Points)

1 Paramedics 8-

3 Stealth 13- (14-)

1 Survival 8-

1 Tracking 8-

3 +1 with Martial Maneuvers

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 202

Total Cost: 350

I've only read a few issues of the newest incarnation of her solo series as well as a smattering of JLA, Trinity and others. I am not up to speed on the most current evolution of her abilities. I'm not even trying for that. See the various 600-1000+ builds posted by board members for that. I am just trying to distill the essential character, taking into account the original origin plus various reboots, into a playable member of newly formed Justice League. Call it 75% Animated JLU and 25% modern comics* (mainly for the abilities of the Lasso).

*The George Perez reboot to be precise.

• 1 year later...

Wonder Woman

Val Char Cost

50 STR 40

23 DEX 39

25 CON 30

12 BODY 4

18 INT 8

18 EGO 16

20 PRE 10

24 COM 7

20 PD 10

14 ED 9

5 SPD 17

15 REC 0

50 END 0

50 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 190

Cost Skills

3 Acrobatics 14-

3 Breakfall 14-

6 Combat Luck

8 CSL: Combat +1

6 Contact: Justice League of America 11-

10 Defense Maneuver IV

5 Defensive Strike

4 Martial Block

3 Martial Grab

4 Martial Strike

3 Navigation [Air] 13-

3 Tactics 13-

2 WF: Common Melee Weapons

Total Skills Cost: 60 Points

Cost Powers

10 Armor +5 rPD +5 rED, OIF: Costume (+1/2)

2 Bump of Direction, IIF: Invisible Plane (-1/4)

30 Multipower (30 Points)

1 u) EB 6d6, OAF: Tiara (-1)

2 u) Flight 10", 1/2 END (+1/4)

1 u) Flight 5km, Megascale (+1/4), No END (+1/2), IIF: Invisible Plane (-1/4)

1 u) Healing: Regeneration 1 BODY/Turn

2 u) Mind Link: Any Willing Minds, No LOS Needed

1 u) Running +5", No END (+1/2)

1 u) Transform: Instant Change [Any]

5 LS: Immortal

25 Multipower (50 Points) OAF: Magic Lasso (-1)

1 u) Mind Control 10d6, Set Effect [Tell The Truth] (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Must Grab (-1/2)

2 u) Stretching 10", Always Direct (-1/4), No Noncombat (-1/4)

15 Missile Deflection: All Ranged Attacks +5, Restainable (-1/2), OIF: Bracelets (-1/2)

Total Powers Cost: 100 Points

Total Cost: 350 Points

200+ Disadvantages

5 DNPC: Artemis (Slightly Less Powerful) 8-

5 DNPC: Donna Troy (Slightly Less Powerful) 8-

10 DNPC: Etta Candy (Useful Normal) 8-

5 DNPC: Queen Hippolyte (Slightly Less Powerful) 8-

5 DNPC: Steve Trevor (Slightly Less Powerful) 8-

5 DNPC: Wonder Girl (Slightly Less Powerful) 8-

5 Enraged: When Bracelets are Removed (Uncommon) 8-, Recover 14-

15 Hunted: Area (As Powerful/NCI) 8-

10 Hunted: Justice League of America Enemies (As Powerful) 8-

10 Hunted: Wonder Woman Enemies (As Powerful) 8-

10 PhyL: STR 20 When Bracelets are Chained Together by a Man (Infrequenly/Greatly)

20 PsyL: Code Against Killing (Common/Total)

15 PsyL: Patriotic (Common/Strong)

15 PsyL: Protective of the Innocent (Common/Strong)

15 SocL: Secret Identity [Princess Diana of Themyscira/Diana Prince] (Frequently/Greatly)

Total Disadvantages Cost: 350 Points

Notes: This is my versions of the Amazon Princess. She covers both the comic book and TV versions.

I've thought this one over a few times. WW, like Captain America, is a pocket brick. She has brick powers, but just not at full brick levels.

In a 12DC campaign I'd give her a STR of 40, 1/2 end.

Then I'd give her 3-4 Combat Skill Levels with the limitation Only to Offset Hit Location Penalty. Then it's "Called shot to the head, called shot to the head" all night long.

I'd also give her 40 pips of STR at x2 End with the limitations Requires Ego Roll and Only for Feats of Strength. I might even toss in Requires Incantation "Hera Give Me Stregth!"

A PD/ED of 18, and then 6 points of Hardened Armor, OIF Bracers wit hthe limitation Requires PER roll. 'Cause if she can see it, she can block it.

No Flying. I'm Old School. WW doesn't fly.

And as for the soft core bondage stuff, maybe in a Golden Age campaign but not Silver or later.