Powers for a Growth Brick

nexus

Re: Powers for a Growth Brick

Some easy one's are AoE for Strength and Stretching for reach. A lot of Brick Tricks could be moved over and just have the scale increased but with the higher point totals that shouldn't be a problem. A nice one for ambient destruction may be a HtH Killing Attack linked to Growth only for breaking through barriers or obstructions.

Another thing to consider is buying some Armor only versus Beam Weapons (Bullets and itty bitty baby lasers) that are too small for the Giant to really take notice. If the GM would allow it maybe even going the Desolid route immunizing the character from puny guns.

If they are truly massive in size you may look at things like No Range Entangles where the Character just puts the foe under their arm or under foot. (This may also work for a Continuous Naked Advantage for Strength. Stepping on the foe until they're good and crushed. "Once you get under foot...") Sillier things might be Darkness, blotting out sources of light their so big.

Just looking for some power suggestions (beyond the obvious) for a Growth based character in a high point game (750-1000 pts. Active points 100).

I have played a few Growth Bricks and here are a few tidbits I now consider standard. My apologies if these all already fell into your obvious category.

Big Fists/ Big Swing - While the books (5ER and UB) recommend levels with Sweep and then AE on STR after 12 levels of Growth, I find using two powers for what eventually equal the same thing (you hit single and multiple opponents more easily) to be clunky. If your campaign does not have CV caps, I would simply buy this effect as increased OCV, Linked to Growth and increased END (or a Reserve), Only for Sweeps. If your campaign does use CV caps, you can produce the same effect using Change Environment, -DCV, No Range and Self Only (please see the rules under CE in 5ER for this build) Linked to Growth. I usually buy the levels of of Sweep or CE equal to my DCV penalty from Growth.

Big Senses - I usually buy Enhanced Senses equal to the PER penalty from Growth to simulate that a bigger character has an easier time detecting things due to his higher vantage point.

Size Templates - The Size Templates in the back of 5ER pretty much follow the Growth chart with the addition of PRE and Running based on size. I usually buy PRE and Running Linked to Growth.

Big and Tough - In addition to increasing PD and ED while grown, I think Damage Reduction is essential. Your low DCV means you will be hit much more often and if your campaign allows placed shots, expect them to be used every time you grow.

I'll add more later.

[EDIT]

Collateral Damage - To account for such great size and weight, I sometimes buy my Casual STR (STR, Only for determing casual STR) upto the STR needed to lift my weight (or even upto my full strength). Entangles and Grabs from normal sized opponents should be easily shrugged off not mention the cool factor of knocking aside trees and buildings as easily as others would push open a door.

Other stuff - Don't waste points on Stentorian Voice if you own the UM, Growth already gives everyone a large bonus to perceive you. Also your weight also allows you to take advantage of the crushing rules on 5ER 422.

[EDIT II]

I hate the limitations of Growth, not being able to be full height in buildings, crashing through floors, ect. My last Growth character (briefly discussed in the brick thread, he was made for a friend but I played him a bit) Stratus was created to be able to use his full growth anywhere. He had the ability to transform into an enormous humanoid cloud and could pass through solid objects without destroying them. This was done with desolidification w/ does not protect against damage and strength w/ affects the physical world. If I was playing in a 1000 pt. game I might try him again so I could build him properly as all of his effects were cool but expensive. He had an "Avatar of the Sky" theme as his origin.

I have played a few Growth Bricks and here are a few tidbits I now consider standard. My apologies if these all already fell into your obvious category.

Sorry, I was being a bit tongue in cheek there; I meant no need to suggest Growth :)

Allot of good ideas in the thread, thanks everyone!

The growth brick has a few problems that make them nearly worthless in certain situations. Especially when equally stong bricks of normal size are possible. I know being godzilla-sized is fun, but it won't help when attacking Dr. Destroyer's underground base. One idea is a multipower with a growth and straight strength increase slots (plus maybe a density increase or other similar slot if desired.) You need to know what kind of game you're playing to ensure that a growing brick is worthwhile.

Well in that case...

Remember Damage reduction. You don't want a lucky shot on your negative dcv head from two miles away sending godzilla to the mat. Also, make sure that your monster can defend against normal big military guns. Artillery hurts!

Ranged weapons, like a breath attack, are a must! The PCs will likely be flying, so you need to have something to keep them from camping out unharmed.

Megascale Throw. He's so big, he throws you out of the city.

Could have some kind of Change Environment to reduce running and require DEX rolls, representing the fact that the ground shakes violently every time he takes a step. He steps so hard, it knocks everybody else down.

The growth brick has a few problems that make them nearly worthless in certain situations. Especially when equally stong bricks of normal size are possible. I know being godzilla-sized is fun' date=' but it won't help when attacking Dr. Destroyer's underground base. One idea is a multipower with a growth and straight strength increase slots (plus maybe a density increase or other similar slot if desired.) You need to know what kind of game you're playing to ensure that a growing brick is worthwhile.[/quote']

I have yet to try it in game but I always thought it was a neat effect to be able to increase the size of of just your arms or fists.

Skill levels in Move-Through.

And the necessary extra running to keep his running speed proportionate to his height. So if he has 8 levels of growth, which will make a 6' tall person around 38' tall, then he needs +32" of running.

His speed and STR at full height should be devastating.

Absorbtion to Stun, to simulate that the little tiny pinprick attacks help his lethargic giant circulation overcome gravity and distance.

Combined with Damage Reduction, and Armor proportional to size, might help against the 'lucky shot from a mile away', too.

Environmental Movement - Urban, has a special meaning for Growth Bricks.

Darkness from the dust kicked up by his movements, and at least some Change Environment, could be handy and is at least in concept.

Assuming this character gets really, really, really, really big, and/or comic physics are in effect, here's a few suggestions.

Whack them with a skyscraper : Stretching +20" No Velocity Damage, no non-combat stretching, OIF Skyscraper of Opportunity. (S)He picks up a skyscraper, smacks someone with it, then puts it back undamaged.

Big Handfuls : Tunneling 26" through 10 Def of material

Most brick tricks can work fine for huge characters, such as the stomping quake, thunder clap, superbreath, etc.