Powerframe&Maximum Points

NeoZen104

Alright i posted this question under the boards for Steve Long but since it looks like he hasn't answered anything there for about a week i figured i'd pass time by asking all you guy.

Are the power frameworks such as multipower, elemental and VPP limited to the normal maximum points. For example, is the reserve cost for a multipower framework still restricted to 75 points for a 200 point character?

Re: Powerframe&Maximum Points

All such restrictions are defined by the GM. If you're going with a 75 Active Points max, then yes, the Powers in a framework are restricted to the maximum of 75 Active Points. Your costs, of course, should vary.

Some GMs may run this differently -- your MPow's total AP is 75 points, or the AP on your VPP is 75 Active Points. It's up to the GM, so ask him. Or her...

My "Still" was referring to the "Active Points" column on the "Character Ability Guidelines Table" on page 28 of the 5th edition revised book.

Those are guidelines, and guidelines only. If the GM is using them they normally apply them to Frameworks as well. But different GMs apply them in different ways.

First, Steve recently posted he's away for a bit on a family emergency.

Second, in my games (a phrase you will hear a lot around here), any AP limit would apply to the powers themselves. A framework is not a power. You could have a 150 point multipower pool, but the slots would have to cap at 75 AP. Of course, you could now use two slots at a time.

Caps are put in place by the GM -- by default there are none.

If the GM has placed a 75 AP cap on powers then you could still have an MP or VPP with more Reserve or Pool so as to have multiple powers running in the first case or to have more Real Cost footprint in the second. The individual powers in the MP or VPP would be held to the AP cap.

AP caps are meaningless in this context for EC's as they are just an accounting trick, representative of neither a Reserve or a Pool. I would expect all of the powers in an EC to be evaluated against an AP cap individually.

However, the GM is free to set whatever limits they choose.

The game I'm in limits attack powers to 60 AP to start, (but defines some advantages as not counting towards this limit). Frameworks are not limited other than normal GM review to make sure they have good concept, make sense, and are not just purely munching things to save points. Powers in frameworks are of course subject to the normal limits..

One of my characters is a mage and I've got most of my spells in a MP that's a little over 180 points.. So basically (since most of them are 'ultra' slots) I can run a max of three spells at once (of course that's limited by available actions so it's not like i fire them all off at the same time, more like put up a force wall one round, then maintain that and and start some kind of continuing illusion, then next round a fireball.. (end usage gets rather um agressive in that situation)

I think a lot is up to the char, and the concept, for a 'spellcraft' MP being able to do several things at once can make sense, and to do that you need a pretty big MP. OTOH for a MP representing something like a gun with multiple ammo types (think judge dread) it would make sense if the MP was sized so that only a single power could be used at once.