Dumb Hero

RedneckJedi

Hi all. I am relatively new to Champions even though I played years ago I never got "good" at the game. I have an idea of a character but don't know the best way to build him. He is going to be dumb but pure good (think the Tick) but he isn't superpowered.

He is just a retarded guy wearing a silly white costume he made from visiting the local Salvation Army :o

Not SUPER strong but maybe a bit more than normal human max strength. Very quick and agile (for his size). Dumb and weak ego. Great wrestling and general comic book style fighting style. Lots of luck on his side.

I know generally how to build him but I need to know how to make him able to take on superpowered bad guys without getting killed :eek:

I was planning on giving him max physical characteristics, maybe a bit higher and average to low mental stats. I guess I am making a retarded Captain America of sorts.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Dumb Hero

Well, I'd suggest starting by taking a look at the talent Combat Luck. While it is primarily modeling something a little different from what you are going for exactly, it is a good example of seeing ways to use powers that may at first seem non-intuitive (using Armor to represent not getting hit).

How much do you want to play up the lucky aspect. An Energy Blast with a modified Invisible Power Effect, Indirect, and Variable Special Effect, could be used to model accidents happening to people he is fighting (add in Trigger and it becomes even harder to tell he is causing this stuff to happen). On the other hand, that may be too obvious on the Meta level for your tastes, and feel you want for the character.

Still with max stats, a bit of Combat Luck, and say a weapon (base ball bat) that he can use with MA and you could probably create an effective lower end super. Have you spoken with your GM about what you should be looking at in terms of Defenses and Damage Classes?

The GM is wanting us to create the characters without his assistance so we can 'surprise' him. My character is a very poor, stupid guy who makes up for lack of gadgets and superpowers by being lucky (dumb luck) aside from his fighting ability. Everyone else is a superpowered character but me. I wanted a normal, unlikely hero.

I am worried about his defences though. Maybe going with a Damage Reduction. Being destitute I can't imagine him having armor or hi tech defences.

Damage Reduction is expensive, but nice. You need to mix at least a little bit of Combat Luck with it though, just to keep the amount of body he loses under control.

Personally, I would take a look at the Inferior Five if I wanted to play a character along these lines. Either that or Radioactive Man and his supporting cast. The latter would be easier to get hold of, of course.

Here are Champions versions of the I5, although for an older edition.

The GM is wanting us to create the characters without his assistance so we can 'surprise' him. My character is a very poor, stupid guy who makes up for lack of gadgets and superpowers by being lucky (dumb luck) aside from his fighting ability. Everyone else is a superpowered character but me. I wanted a normal, unlikely hero.

I am worried about his defences though. Maybe going with a Damage Reduction. Being destitute I can't imagine him having armor or hi tech defences.

Combat Luck uses the power Armor, to represent the ability to get out of the way of damage. If your GM isn't giving you any guidelines about effectiveness it is going to be tough to know how much is enough.

Did your GM give you any guidelines regarding stop and yeild sign powers?

Did your GM give you any guidelines regarding stop and yeild sign powers?

Nope. He gave us complete freedom regarding our characters. I told him it could be dangerous and explained to him about how some powers can be downright sick if you know what you are doing. He assured us that he could handle it. He has been a GM since 3rd edition came out (infact that is the edition we are using until everyone gets a copy of 5th/6th edition rules). I know how to build a character but I'm not good at 'tricking out' a character.

Having a character that is fun is a good thing but having one who is useless in combat is not so good... I want him to be able to take on superpowered bad guys... so tricking may be the, well... umm... trick.:P

I will probably put him at a little over max normal human physical characteristics and load him up on combat and some skills. Figure out a sort of defence for him and I am all set! The advice given here is very helpful, thanks all...

Has anyone here ever played the Baldur's Gate PC game? Well, my character's personality will be a mix of the BG character Minsc and the Tick...

Look over the two Until Superpowers Database books for Luck Powers.

Give him a top-of-the-line Martial Art, with a heap of Extra Damage Classes.

Two or three or four levels of Combat Luck will keep him alive.

Maybe he picked up a mystical/alien-tech/whatever pole/stick/staff that he hits people with. It has extra HA/HKA, with a Trigger and it regulates itself as to how much extra "oomph" to add to Dumb Hero's thumping. If he has no idea it's anything special, and somebody (or more than one) is trying to find/get/take/analyze the thing, you've got an interesting background/enemy roster for him right there, as well as something to take on the supers with.

Hi all. I am relatively new to Champions even though I played years ago I never got "good" at the game. I have an idea of a character but don't know the best way to build him. He is going to be dumb but pure good (think the Tick) but he isn't superpowered.

He is just a retarded guy wearing a silly white costume he made from visiting the local Salvation Army :o

Not SUPER strong but maybe a bit more than normal human max strength. Very quick and agile (for his size). Dumb and weak ego. Great wrestling and general comic book style fighting style. Lots of luck on his side.

I know generally how to build him but I need to know how to make him able to take on superpowered bad guys without getting killed :eek:

I was planning on giving him max physical characteristics, maybe a bit higher and average to low mental stats. I guess I am making a retarded Captain America of sorts.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Combat Luck seems a natural, say 6D6 Luck and some "Lucky hit" powers ..or DC's and it sounds playable...

How about using Deolidification only to protect against damage and having the special effect be just dumb luck getting him out of the way or screwing with the bad guys aim. The resonably common special effect that affects could be "Dumb Luck"....i.e., when the bad guy rolls a natural 5 or lower to hit him.