On A Power Build

ghost-angel

So, like any good gamer I was brainstorming characters and such...

And came up with a pretty cool super-team, one of the characters has pretty much one power: The ability to manifest any weapon they've ever touched.

Assuming a "real world" without fancy CU blasters et al, and that they've been able to get their hands on a decent array of weapons from a billy club to a SWAT issue rifle... (In theory, big theory mind, if she ever got near an ICBM and were allowed to touch one... she could manifest it - practically outside the scope of your average game though.)

The build itself, well I have like 4. Just wondering what you guys - because I like your guys input when I get stumped - thought might be the more aesthetically pleasing (at least for your group):

A big old VPP (likely with the Cosmic to instantly manifest any weapon).

A few basic Attack Powers (in or out of a Multipower Pool) with a Variable SFX Advantage tacked on (to change RKA from .45 to .38, etc).

-Subset to the above: add on a few Naked Advantages to apply to weapons as appropriate

An actual Summon up to the AP of a decently large weapon.

Now, one of the twists is that once manifested the weapon can't be moved - it can be unsummoned/disappeared - unless someone grabs it, in which case anyone grabbing it can use it (or, er, shoot it down), even bad guys though the Character could simply unsummon it if needed.

I'm pretty sure I'd just model that as Physical Manifestation personally, unless somone has a better idea.

Assume, since this is an exercise for my fevered mind, that there is no real AP limit. Or, assume there is a pretty standard AP Limit of 60 if you'd like.

Anyways, any methods I missed (hey, it's possible!) or personal thoughts on which one might be dramatically cooler in a game (that they'll never get to be in. . .)?

Re: On A Power Build

From the description I think the VPP would work best as a sandbox method with a list of preferred weapons listed. That said I think there is something to having it listed as a multipower with an Energy Blast, Hand to Hand and Ranged Killing Attack all listed with a variable Special Effect. The character could buy modiferes such as Armor Peircing and No Normal Defense. This may limit the scope of her power but the ICBM is likely more of a GM Fiat anyway right?

Yeah, if I ever got a chance to create and then play a character like this an ICBM should be a plot point :P

The VPP sounds alluring (being able to modify builds based on the actual weapon in question). But an HA/EB/RKA/HKA set is elegantly simple in concept.

With the Multipower the one down side is taking on the Naked Modifiers for munitions types. The VVP you can pull out the fire type at will. If you're the point crunching type I may map out both versions in Hero Designer and see what's more efficient. One way you may limit the VPP as only being able to mimic weapons with the "Real Weapon" limitation.

VPP is the "best" but is also high maintanace (most effort to use)

I once built a character who carried a duffel bag full of weapons, I built it as a Multi-power at 60 points most any weapon fit just fine, including a RPG-7 ...RKA 4D6 several clips of one charge...

But a M-16 runs pretty high cost auto-fire etc...so it might be a little odd to leave out.

(I built my autofire as a UZI ...) it will be expensive, the duffel was a OIF, with a summon power there less chance to lower cost...

My thought? An Elemental Control' date=' one slot for each of the basic Attack Powers, each slot with Variable Special Effects and Physical Manifestation. Saves you from having to worry about distributing "pool points".[/quote']

There's an interesting angle. Close to the accuracy of the VPP with a series of Variable SFX on it, without the Pool Points for trying to summon multiple weapons at once.

Hmmm, I suppose that the only drawback to any Pool is that they couldn't summon two different weapons to Multiple Power Attack with. Not too big any issue, all things considered, really.

Hmmm, hadn't really thought about it.

I know that other people can move them, or grab them. And when they're manifested (even in mid air) the character can't remotely control them other than to unsummon them.

No, I think there's a sphere of influence they exist in, if taken to far from the characters they fade away.

Hmmm, hadn't really thought about it.

I know that other people can move them, or grab them. And when they're manifested (even in mid air) the character can't remotely control them other than to unsummon them.

No, I think there's a sphere of influence they exist in, if taken to far from the characters they fade away.

Would bullets from long ranged weapons vanish, or does the effect take enough time to fade that it wouldn't be relevant? What happens to the fallout of chemical or nuclear arms if their out of your sphere of influence (ie does every part of a bomb disapear after a exploding away from you)?

I did a character like this once. I don't remember the points I put into it but what I did was a VPP so I could summon the weapon I wanted but it had to be a real world weapon. Just find the cost of the most expensive weapon she'd realistically get her hands on and go from there. For limitations on the control cost I'd take "must have handled weapon" -1/2 and something like "as written in the book" -1. The -1 for that would cover that it has to be taken as is, with the same limitations.

Now to me it would be funny if the character manifests a gun to use that they touched but at the time it wasn't loaded so its a case of click click what no boom?

Sorry if this is rough... little sleep with pain pills and kidney stones does not lend itself well to building anything.

This is why I post things when a concept doesn't gel in my head immediately. You guys ask all kinds of questions I forgot to ask myself.

After some thought on posts here, I'm gotten a better picture of the concept.

Any weapon touched is imprinted on their mind - and as long as they understand the loading mechanism the weapon doesn't have to be loaded at the time for them to be able to fire bullets.

The weapons can manifest anywhere within their line of sight, and as long as that is maintained will exist indefinitely, giving about a 180 arc of fire in front of them. The after effects of any weapon (the explosion of a grenade for example) aren't subject to this rule, but the grenade would have to explode within their vision field initially (know tossing around corners) - though sight enhancement works (mirrors, telescopes, binoculars, etc) to get around this. They have to be real weapons, and weapons they've imprinted. Once a weapon is manifest they can rotate it, but not move it, though remanifesting a weapon in a different spot is a simple action, and someone else can grab a weapon and wield it as long as 1) it doesn't leave the field of vision, and 2) they don't unsummon it on the wielder.

Things like blinding the character will cause all manifested weapons to instantly disappear. The weapons don't use real bullets, per se, as they're also a manifestation of the characters mind - firing the weapons takes some personal effort, eventually a prolonged gunfight would tire them out. However, Ammo works the same way - they've touched a normal bullet so that's imprinted. But specialized rounds also have to imprinted for them to "load" their guns with them.

-Mechanically the above gave me a little more help to go on, I wasn't originally going to write the Power up in Hero Terms as the character was mostly an conceptual exercise for a short story. But, meh, I'm a gamer geek.

The whole plain EB/HA/RKA/HKA with a series of Naked Advantages actually becamse way to convoluted to work with when trying to piece parts together for many miscellaneous guns. It looked simple for a moment, then quickly became a morass of Powers pieced together.

an large VPP with some Advantages and Limitations seemed to work best. Cosmic, Indirect, Real Weapon, Limited To Imprinted Weapons, and Physical Manifestation all got put on the Pool in some fashion. Each weapon is then built whole inside the VPP.

This allowed one concept I had trouble with initially: using multiple guns at once. I kept coming at it from the POV that each gun was a separate Power. Forgetting of course, that I don't have to do that. Manifesting fourteen throwing knives and tossing them at fourteen targets (for example) isn't fourteen attacks - it's Area Of Effect; Selective.

The VPP allows for a wider array of options to be modeled on the idea, more easily.

I have to recharge my Rep Stick, I'll get around to everyone when I can.

And naturally - if I get around to creating the rest of the character - and the team I envisioned them being on - I'll post that.

Now, one of the twists is that once manifested the weapon can't be moved - it can be unsummoned/disappeared - unless someone grabs it, in which case anyone grabbing it can use it (or, er, shoot it down), even bad guys though the Character could simply unsummon it if needed.

Once a weapon is manifest they can rotate it' date=' but not move it, though remanifesting a weapon in a different spot is a simple action, and someone else can grab a weapon and wield it as long as 1) it doesn't leave the field of vision, and 2) they don't unsummon it on the wielder.[/quote']

I forgot to ask: can the "summoner" grab the weapon and move it? I.e., does the "Can't move it" only mean "...by use of this power"? Or is the summoner unable to move it by standard physical means?

I forgot to ask: can the "summoner" grab the weapon and move it? I.e.' date=' does the "Can't move it" only mean "...by use of this power"? Or is the summoner unable to move it by standard physical means?[/quote']

They can grab the weapon and move it with their hand, yes. Just not remotely, for example if they summon it fifteen feet in front of them it's stuck there until someone (anyone) goes up and grabs it, or it unsummons.

No' date=' it's a sort of mental construct if you want to call it anything. it's not actually summoning a real weapon from anywhere.[/quote']

So what happens if the PC touches a prop weapon?

The subtle point to this question is - mental constructs are internally defined, not externally defined. The PC doesn't necessarily need to know the workings of the weapon in question, but does need to know what sort of effect it has when wielded. So, if you let the PC touch a prop weapon of a sort that they have seen either on TV or movie (THAT THEY BELIEVE IS REAL) then in theory it ought to work...

Corollary, if you let the PC touch a visibly whole but broken weapon (like an AK-47 with the firing pin removed) then the PC ought to be able to manifest a functioning gun.

Alternately: If the PC is witness to a live fire demonstration of a prototype weapon and then handed a nonfunctioning prop, then they ought to be able to manifest a functioning version, faithful to the demonstration.

In theory.

So what happens if the PC touches a prop weapon?

. . .

I have no idea.

If the idea is they can (to just give a name to it) psychically manifest a weapon they've had the opportunity to touch (and thus get the imprint of that weapon, and it's purpose as a weapon) - then what I suppose they're getting is a capability of the weapon, and it's intent.

Since prop weapons, especially things like prop guns, aren't built with the intent to mimic, they probably wouldn't be able to manifest a real version later.

So, if they touch a ceremonial weapon (a marine corps saber for example) they get nothing? I suppose they're functional, but nobody ever expects one of them to be wielded in combat.

Or what about a target rifle? One made specifically for oh say, Olympic competition? Is the fact that it is never intended to be fired at anything other than a stationary target affect its designation as a weapon?