Pulp names and basics

quozaxx

I have a player who has been around since the pulp age. (it's a Champions campaign), but need help with hero names (and basics if possible).

You see, I did just bought Madmen and Masterminds for the Pulp genre, (which is an excellent source for villains), but I don't have many hero names to use for reference purposes.

So far I came up with the name "Lady Liberty". A heroine who uses a "torch" as a weapon - OK, now you can see why I need help.

Note: The character has been around since the 40s.

Thanks for any help you could give.

Re: Pulp names and basics

Many of the early superheros, and late Pulp heros, used names and images designed to inspire fear in their foes. "The Avenger", "The Spider", "Captain Midnight". "The Spectre" etc That approach might work. Otherwise you could try to get hold of one of the various comic "history" type books (Steranko's "History of Comics", Goulart's "All In Colour For A Dime" and "The Comic Book Book" ) and look at some of the "lesser" or "second banana" heros. I'm using an "Internet Cafe" at the moment because the computer at home needs to be repaired so i can't give you a list. If I remember i'll try to do some reaearch and come up with some ideas later in the week (names and power sets).

Another resaource to try is "Toonapedia" (or perhaps it is "Don Markstein's Toonapedia") on the net or even just try typing in "Golden Age Comic Heros" or something like that ! Try finding some of the "lesser known" characters and "borrowing" their names !

You could always go for the nickname approach, "Bulldog" Drummond for example. Or give them odd names based upon previous solved cases like Nick Charles a.k.a "The Thin Man" in later movies. Or play with thier names like Simon Templer.a.k.a "The Saint".

Of course you can't really take a Secret ID for those, but so what.

I have a player who has been around since the pulp age. (it's a Champions campaign)' date=' but need help with hero names (and basics if possible).[/quote']

You have a PLAYER who has been around that long? :eek:

You see, I did just bought Madmen and Masterminds for the Pulp genre, (which is an excellent source for villains), but I don't have many hero names to use for reference purposes.

So far I came up with the name "Lady Liberty". A heroine who uses a "torch" as a weapon - OK, now you can see why I need help.

Note: The character has been around since the 40s.

Thanks for any help you could give.

Are you only interested in "code names" (aka [super]hero names)? Or are you interested in "ordinary" names (John, Mary, Reginald, Yolanda, etc.)?

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/decades/names1920s.html has the 1000 most common first name of those born in the 1920's. http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/decades/names1910s.html covers the 1910's. The pull-down menu on the left lets you choose other decades.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out old time radio shows for characters like The Shadow, The Whistler, The Green Hornet, Johnny Dollar, Blue Beetle, The Green Llama, and others. As well as some great plot ideas.

By the way, Lady Liberty sounds cool to me. Reminds me of American Maid from The Tick cartoon.

P.S. You can listen to old radio shows for free at http://radiolovers.com/

Simple. "The ====== ++++++"

Replace "======" with a color name; one that's not often used, but not odd or weird. Synonyms for red are best, black is good, grey is OK; other colors aren't as good. Avoid pink, mauve, and so forth.

Replace "++++++" with an object that suggests mystery (mask, glove, etc.). Or, use a word on the lines of Avenger, Nemesis, and so forth; concept names do well too--Vengence and so forth.

Sometimes "++++++" can be replaced with something off-kilter, something that suggests the [N]PC is bizarre. Usually this is one of those [action]ER words; Watcher, Accepter, and so forth; however, not always.

This gives names like: The Crimson Mask, The Ashen Revenger, The Ebon Knower, The Green Cloak.

I hope you have fun with this method; I have used it with success heretofore.

Simple. "The ====== ++++++"

Replace "======" with a color name; one that's not often used, but not odd or weird. Synonyms for red are best, black is good, grey is OK; other colors aren't as good. Avoid pink, mauve, and so forth.

Replace "++++++" with an object that suggests mystery (mask, glove, etc.). Or, use a word on the lines of Avenger, Nemesis, and so forth; concept names do well too--Vengence and so forth.

Sometimes "++++++" can be replaced with something off-kilter, something that suggests the [N]PC is bizarre. Usually this is one of those [action]ER words; Watcher, Accepter, and so forth; however, not always.

This gives names like: The Crimson Mask, The Ashen Revenger, The Ebon Knower, The Green Cloak.

I hope you have fun with this method; I have used it with success heretofore.

++++++ can also sometimes be a creature so The Azure Dragon, The Ruby Scorpion so long as you avoid the silly The Ashen Flamingo, The Crimson Koala etc

++++++ can also sometimes be a creature so The Azure Dragon' date=' The Ruby Scorpion so long as you avoid the silly The Ashen Flamingo, The Crimson Koala etc[/quote']

Or, The Smiling Burrito, which is my other alias. Stay away from those and jtelson's method is the simplest and best for coming up with good pulp hero names. It also works well for the names of bars, gangs, etc.

++++++ can also sometimes be a creature so The Azure Dragon' date=' The Ruby Scorpion so long as you avoid the silly The Ashen Flamingo, The Crimson Koala etc[/quote']

I've used the Crimson Cockroach. ;)

In fact, using "bug" names is perfectly legitimate, even if the one I chose was silly: the Green Hornet, the Blue Beetle... lots of others in comics as well.

Scarlet Scarab.

Silver Scarab.

and many others.

That gives names more appropriate for super[(heroes)|(villains)].

Stay away from those and jtelson's method is the simplest and best for coming up with good pulp hero names.

Credit where credit is due, please.

That gives names more appropriate for super[(heroes)|(villains)].

Acceptable for pulp too, though, at least in small doses. If every PC had a name like this, it would be a problem, but a Shadow-like team leader could get away with it.

The Green Hornet was a pulp character.

Occasional villains with funky names are fine too.

Acceptable for pulp too, though, at least in small doses. If every PC had a name like this, it would be a problem, but a Shadow-like team leader could get away with it.

The Green Hornet was a pulp character.

Occasional villains with funky names are fine too.

I stand corrected.

Though I will point out such names work better for superheroes and supervillains. ;)

If Querysphinx can name the Blue Raja' date=' can I have 'The Shoveller'? :)[/quote']

Only if I can have Janeane Garofalo --- ooops. Excuse me, "The Bowler"

Don't forget the nicknames of low level thugs. Fingers, Rhino, Gidget, Bull, Twisty, Pinkeye, Twig and Flat Top... you can have oodles of fun with nicknames.

Good point. I used to have an enormous list of "thug names," but it (with much else) has been lost. I remember I started with body parts (Eyes, Knee-Cap, etc.), then went to appearance-based names (Slim, Fats, Ears, etc.).

One that seemed to have been well liked was "Parked Cars". As in "his face looks like he chased parked cars." Came for a nickname for a dog we had when I was a child. It received the nickname not for its appearance, but for its stupidity and habits.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey mate ! Don't you go dissing "The Crimson Koala". He's gunna come over and kick your donkey , as soon as he wakes up and we can get him down out of his gumtree !:P