Hand to Hand Reflection

Psylint

Been thinking for a while how to build a character that can reflect back all attacks made against him, whether hand to hand or ranged. To handle the hand to hand part I've thought of this and thought I'd throw it up to Herodom for criticism and comment

Li Quan's Army of Me:

1. Duplication (creates 4 duplicates) Limited Power One body +0, Feedback all duplicates take damage when struck -1, Non persistent -1/4, Restrainable -1/2 (Duplicates automatically recombine if base character is entangled or grabbed).

2. Missile Deflection and Reflection

3. Martial Throw.

The idea being that the character will have the duplicates hold phase for the purposes of Martial Throwing any opponent that attempts a hand to hand attack or deflecting and reflecting a ranged attack.

I may have the rules totally futzed, but I think this might work.

Re: Hand to Hand Reflection

That is a very clever and original approach to this issue. :thumbup: Of course it also highlights the considerable acrobatics required under the official rules to create what should be a fairly straightforward effect.

My own approach is entirely different and completely unofficial, but in case it would be helpful: since all HERO characters essentially have "Hand-To-Hand Deflection" for free, i.e. the Block Combat Maneuver, I allow characters to buy the Reflection Adder from Missile Deflection as a Naked Adder for their Strength, to allow them to reflect a HTH attack back at the attacker, or at another target within HTH range if the Adder is broad enough.

I've used to methods to handle this question.

One is a Damage Shield. You can build limitations on it that refelct how much damage can be returned.

Method Two requires building Martial Maneuvers. Just add Counter to all abilities.

Or you could get silly and build an EDM power that sends the character to a world were the person that just attacked him is getting punched by him. Hahahha

Another way would be an HA with a trigger (no time to reset) - triggering on successful block, limited to the DC of the attack - call it counter-punching, riposte, whatever.

Conceptually, I don't necessarily buy reflecting an HtH attack, since the attack is typically still "attached" to the attacker... but to each his own...

50 Counter-Punch: Hand-To-Hand Attack +5d6, Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; On Successful Block Maneuver; +1); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

Combining Block maneuvers with a limited Damage Shield (only as many DCs as the incoming attack that is successfully blocked) seems the appropriate option for hand-to-hand reflection to me, since presumably you'd be reflecting the kinetic energy of the blow back on the attacker rather than making his hand or weapon do a 180º bend and hit him instead.

Depends on what what the special effect of the Reflection was. Some character might be making the attacker hit himself in some manner. And the Damage shield build would get complicated if you want to reflect exotic hand to hand attacks like energy swords, Adjustment powers ("How do YOU like the Dim MAK!") and stuff like that.