OIHID or Multiform?

thereisnoart

I have recently converted from Heroes Unlimited to the HERO System (loving it, btw) and I was converting some characters from my Heroes campaign (sort of an updated, four-color campaign) when I ran across a question...

This one character is a human ex-cop who can transform into a being of lava (Alter Physical Structure: Lava, from HU). He retains all of his same skills and mind - it's not like he becomes something else (like the Human Torch). I know that there is no right or wrong way to translate this, but I was wondering if it would be better to just build all of his lava powers with "only in heroic identity" or if I should build a second form for his Lava Form. I guess I am just wondering what's the big difference between the two.

Thanks for any feedback!

Re: OIHID or Multiform?

I have recently converted from Heroes Unlimited to the HERO System (loving it, btw) and I was converting some characters from my Heroes campaign (sort of an updated, four-color campaign) when I ran across a question...

This one character is a human ex-cop who can transform into a being of lava (Alter Physical Structure: Lava, from HU). He retains all of his same skills and mind - it's not like he becomes something else (like the Human Torch). I know that there is no right or wrong way to translate this, but I was wondering if it would be better to just build all of his lava powers with "only in heroic identity" or if I should build a second form for his Lava Form. I guess I am just wondering what's the big difference between the two.

Thanks for any feedback!

Regarding Multiform vs OIHID, here's how I look at it:

Multiform indicates multiple superpowered forms, hence the word Multiform. Only In Hero ID (OIHID) indicates one other superpowered form. If your hero changes from the human form to lava form, it's 1 hero form so it's OIHID. If someone wants something more than one other heroic form (say 2+ extra forms other than the human form), then the use of Multiform may be appropriate.

Personally, I find Multiform to be too inexpensive.

There is also the option to go with neither. If the character is not particularly hindered by the need to "power up", than there is no need to apply the OIHID limitation on everything (or the GM might not allow it). Presumably, the Lava form would provide some defenses, so the visible SFX of those defenses could be the lava form. To get some point savings you could Link powers to those Defenses.

I tend to use multiform if there are differences in personality, knowledge OR disadvantages. (like say the lava form is vulnerable to or susceptable to cold but when normal human he treats cold normally.)

otherwise, if there are extra delays and/or a means to prevent transforming, i go with oihid.

if there aren't ways to stop the change, I dont usually do oihid and leave it as sfx.

As a GM however, there is a significant difference... the difference between a limitation and an ability.

OIHID guy has taken a lim and saved pts, maybe a lot. he is PAYING ME, telling me, practically begging me, to make this a problem for him. Its now my job to create situations where he is stuck needing to transform and having trouble.

MULTIFORM guy has instead paid cp to be able to be in different forms. There is no implicit need for me to drie the scenarios or script them to make his power a problem. On the contrary, my focus as gm is to make it seen as useful. So my focus is on scripting events so that his ability to be in different forms is a plus, a good thing, highlighted as an "oh wow glad you had..."

so in short, with OIHID i am TRYING as gm to orchestrate events so you are caught in the wrong form, whereas with multiform i am trying to script to show or spotlight you more in the right form for a given circumstance.

So what do you want the character's story to be more highlighting - how you get stuck in the wrong form at theewrong time and the wrong place OR how you seem to be in the right form at the right time in the right place?

Is "i have more than one form" for your character a bug or a feature?

Thanks for the insight! And also, thanks for moving my post, Steve. I didn't realize that I had posted in the wrong place until after I submitted it (*tries to hide noob shame*).

Whether I go with OIHID or not, I think I will avoid Multiform for this character. There's less to track (again, see "noob shame" ;)) and it seems to be truer to the character I had in mind. It seems like if I used Multiform, the human version could have 100+ points of powers before ever even changing into the other form. Outside of what he learned as a cop, I didn't want him to have any special powers (besides the change). One of the things I love about HERO is balance, so I am trying to keep this guy and his team on the same level power-wise. Multiform might be a bit too unbalanced for this campaign.

Now this other character, sort of a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde thing... Multiform is a pretty safe bet for him.

He could easily have 100 points in skills, contacts, perks, etc. to make a nice tasty 100 pointer. It might actually be better suited to play a SPD 3 with nothing but his training who has to take the time to transform (if you make it take any more time than what's built into the power).

Plus, in his other form, he could have different disads based on his form, something that you can't really replicate with OIHID. And there's nothing to track with Multiform. Just create the two different forms, pay the cost for the altered form in the base form, and you're done.

I've played many Duplicators as well as Multiform types and it really is straightforward.

Thanks for the insight! And also, thanks for moving my post, Steve. I didn't realize that I had posted in the wrong place until after I submitted it (*tries to hide noob shame*).

Whether I go with OIHID or not, I think I will avoid Multiform for this character. There's less to track (again, see "noob shame" ;)) and etc etc.

Don't apologize; everyone here has been there at one point or another. I still remember my noob idea about characteristics.... I missed the fact (so many years ago) that you actually start with 10 in your stats instead of zero. :eek::D

(10 Str, 10 Dex, 10 Con, etc.)

We're glad you ask questions and we're pleased to answer them.

Tesuji, excellent idea of how to look at OIHID and Multiform. Bravo. :thumbup:

Hm... well, upon further review, the ruling on the field has been over-turned. Gonna go with Multiform after all.

Thanks for all the speedy, helpful replies. I haven't really ever been active in a pen-and-paper gaming forum. Nice to see a community that offers meaningful insight on the topic for a change!

When I started playing I completely misunderstood damage application and assumed all Body damage required resistant defences to stop' date=' including that generated by normal attacks. Boy were those first few sessions dangerous...[/quote']

Now that's funny, we did exactly the opposite...thought that normal defenses fully applied to killing damage. One hero was shot 7 times in his first adventure and barely felt 'em, we thought the whole killing damage construct was horribly broken... :o