Nuclear Explosion Man

Legatus

Re: Nuclear Explosion Man

That was one of the Hero System Almanacs; I believe the second one. Ask Steve Long, he wrote it.

For a comic book styled nuclear blast, I think the 20d6 RKA you described should be sufficient. If you want to make it more deadly, add Penetrating.

Did you want a lower powered blast like the one you mentioned' date=' or more like the 12 phase blast written up in one of the 4th ed books(it escapes me atm)?[/quote']

Hero System Almanac 2, page 77. Written by our very own Steve Long back in '95. Total points as written 7,253 Active; 1,009 Real for a 1 megaton warhead. (happened to have just been looking at that book)

Legatus, I'm not sure I'd go with the Megascale myself. but if your not too worried about the point total you might want to think about Continuous and Uncontrolled

well, the thing is that modern nuclear weaponry contains only a little amount of radioactive material, So they actually have a comparatively low radioactive fallout compared to the ones dropped on Japan.

Do you want a standard modern Nuclear weapon? (Make it a 15d6 explosion, AVLD, megascaled (1" = 1km), 1/2d6 NND Does body for the radioactive exposure)

Or a Backyard dirty bomb? (10d6 concussive explosion, megascaled (1" = 100m), AVLD, with a further 3d6 lingering NND Does body attached.)

Nuclear weapons are all about clearing the area and destroying everything but not rendering it uninhabitable.

Dirty Bombs are designed for maximum spread of radioactive material.

Aside from that, You could just say that if your characters are too close...

Hero System Almanac 2, page 77. Written by our very own Steve Long back in '95. Total points as written 7,253 Active; 1,009 Real for a 1 megaton warhead. (happened to have just been looking at that book)

Legatus, I'm not sure I'd go with the Megascale myself. but if your not too worried about the point total you might want to think about Continuous and Uncontrolled

I don't have Almanac 2, just 1. Da..!

Continuous and Uncontrolled? Thanks for the input.

Guest steamteck

Its also in the 5th edition equipment guide page 131 for a 1 megaton blast. its over 6000 active points and over 900 real ones. The 20d6 killing megascale explosion is just the start!

I found this post by Oruncrest and will build my Nuclear Explosion Man from that (maybe not as complex).

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=561243&postcount=32

Thanks for adding the link. I might have to remember it for later. THough I do wonder what would happen to Superman (or any character) if facing the Oruncrest bomb. :eg:

Radiation sickness would be a hefty RKA NND or, probably better, something like the following:

5d6 Drain, All Physical Characteristics Simultaneously (+2), Explosion (+1/2), Mega area (1" = 1 km; +1/4), Invisible Power Effects (+1/2) (212 Active Points), Gradual Effect (One Month; - Whatever), Extra Time (One Week; - Whatever), Only Affects Living Beings (-1/2)

Never would 2 points on LS: Immune to High Radiation be better spent!

[Highlight to see rant]

OR

you could just not stat it up. Your the GM. You don't NEED to stat it up.

Unless your working inside a set amount of points (Which would be great to tell us what that is...)

What is it with this arbitary feeling that everything MUST be statted up? YOUR the GM, You have the power. The rules are optional for you. YOU have no points limit.

YOU can hand out damage as you like, and ya know what? Your players won't ask as long as its appropriate! I've never asked/had asked what the point total was unless it was something seemingly inappropriate!

Ignore the cost modifiers, just tack on what seems appropriate.

[Highlight to see rant]

I agree. I never really liked the feel of Handwavium.

Agreed. Plus, I was one of those math lovers in school. I cant NOT try to stat everything. (I think it might be my Psych Lim :P ) (Note: Plus it is the tenacious never say die in me, to not believe I have lost/died until I see the stats pushed into my face :o )

This wasn't really directed at anyone. Just something another player/GM said to me a little while ago must of just stuck in my craw...

Oh, I myself didnt take it personal. Just sometimes I seem to have more fun creating characters/powers than I do actually playing :o

Note: And I think some 80s cartoons might have a residual effect for my not liking handwavium. (As in when the villain's "Doomsday" device, just spontaneously breaks without explanation, which seemed to happen a lot in those 80s cartoons)

Guest steamteck

I agree. I never really liked the feel of Handwavium.

More than just a very little amount for some plot's sake just always seemed like cheating to me but then I'm pretty obsessive about consistency. I really don't want arbitrary abilities for the NPCs not available to the PCs on some level. The villains may have more experience than the starting heroes and thus more points but they use the same rules and balances ( told you I was obsessive) Makes everything more believable for all of use. I realize that's just our take though, Carry on.:D

I try not to let the stats get in the way of the story/game.

No need to explain. You just seem to be more story-oriented. I (an admitted math geek) am more numbers-oriented. No big deal. Personally, I do prefer some balance of the 2, by the way.

Note: like I mentioned here or somewhere else. In some respects, I enjoy character creation more than the game itself, at times.

2nd Note: If you make your players roll to see if they took a successful dump in the woods. You are too numbers-oriented. :doi:

More than just a very little amount for some plot's sake just always seemed like cheating to me but then I'm pretty obsessive about consistency. I really don't want arbitrary abilities for the NPCs not available to the PCs on some level. The villains may have more experience than the starting heroes and thus more points but they use the same rules and balances ( told you I was obsessive) Makes everything more believable for all of use. I realize that's just our take though' date=' Carry on.:D[/quote']

I feel much the same way. For one, building stuff is fun for me. It's one of the reasons I use Hero System. Technically, I (or anyone) could handwave everything. Nothing "needs" to be statted out, you don't even really need a system but I think it gives consistency which is something I value and frankly, it does feel a bit like cheating to have the players restricted to certain limits and rules but not my creations when I, as the GM, have so many other advantages (effectively unlimited points, knowledge of not only the PCs sheets but any plans or tactics they say outloud, etc).

I know RPGs are not (or at least generally shouldn't be) PC vs GM but I do feel the game part of Role playing Game should get some attention and having solid stats contributes to a superior story, IMO, IME. Which isn't to say I haven't fudged or handwaved in the past or won't do so in the future. I just like to keep it to a minimum or I start to feel like I'm narrating a story to my players instead of playing a game or creating interactive fiction.