Tesseract Storage Device: Cheesy?

Just fishing for opinions here.

The idea is based off how Ratchet (of & Clank fame) seems to work; he seems to pull his weapons out of nowhere (aka subspace pocket), and can instantly put them back and pull out another one. He never gets disarmed (though this is obviously simply because that option was never programmed into the games).

This is the way I was thinking it would be built:

Tesseract Storage Gauntlet: XXpt Multipower, Restrainable, OIF Gauntlet

(slot)

(slot)

etc.

The powers are OIF because they can't be easily disarmed, but they still must be swung (Omniwrench, Plasma Whip) or aimed/fired normally (all the handguns/rifles), hence the Restrainable. The thing is ... this is the same limitation value as OAF, but seems somewhat 'less restrictive' than OAF. Should I go with a 'custom' -3/4, or go with what the rulebook says?

Re: Tesseract Storage Device: Cheesy?

Just fishing for opinions here.

The idea is based off how Ratchet (of & Clank fame) seems to work; he seems to pull his weapons out of nowhere (aka subspace pocket), and can instantly put them back and pull out another one. He never gets disarmed (though this is obviously simply because that option was never programmed into the games).

This is the way I was thinking it would be built:

Tesseract Storage Gauntlet: XXpt Multipower, Restrainable, OIF Gauntlet

(slot)

(slot)

etc.

The powers are OIF because they can't be easily disarmed, but they still must be swung (Omniwrench, Plasma Whip) or aimed/fired normally (all the handguns/rifles), hence the Restrainable. The thing is ... this is the same limitation value as OAF, but seems somewhat 'less restrictive' than OAF. Should I go with a 'custom' -3/4, or go with what the rulebook says?

I question putting both OIF and Restrainable on the same power...are you sure this shouldn't be one or the other?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks -3/4 would work

I question putting both OIF and Restrainable on the same power...are you sure this shouldn't be one or the other?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks -3/4 would work

Captain America's Shield is a perfect example of both an OIF (it's strapped to one of his arms) and Restrainable (If he is grabbed he can't use the Shield effectively).

Captain America's Shield is a perfect example of both an OIF (it's strapped to one of his arms) and Restrainable (If he is grabbed he can't use the Shield effectively).

Exactly. If he can't swing/shoot the weapon, it's nullified (Restrainable), and if he's not actively resisting, it can be unstrapped/unlocked and removed with a little effort (OIF). There's no rule about not combining the two.

I think Restrainable is over-... uhm, can't say 'overcosted', but isn't quite worth a -1/2, since OIF + Restrainable is less of a drawback than a straight OAF for the same value.

I've an archer with flatspace bracers (from Ultraviolet) out of which come his arrows, bows, etc. I put the power together as OIF on the MPow pool (bracers can't be taken away in combat), but OAF on the slots, because any particular slot can be disarmed during combat. The current combat is a good example -- he's wearing his bracers, but the combat staff just got knocked out of his hands. (Well, okay, he got knocked clear across the room and reduced to 0 STUN, hence the staff is no longer in his grip, but that's beside the point.) He can, when his turn comes around, 'call out' a new weapon, even a new staff (because he's got several stored in there), but he's going to have to get the weapon extracted first.

I've an archer with flatspace bracers (from Ultraviolet) out of which come his arrows' date=' bows, etc. I put the power together as O[b']I[/b]F on the MPow pool (bracers can't be taken away in combat), but OAF on the slots, because any particular slot can be disarmed during combat. The current combat is a good example -- he's wearing his bracers, but the combat staff just got knocked out of his hands. (Well, okay, he got knocked clear across the room and reduced to 0 STUN, hence the staff is no longer in his grip, but that's beside the point.) He can, when his turn comes around, 'call out' a new weapon, even a new staff (because he's got several stored in there), but he's going to have to get the weapon extracted first.

Kinda nifty. With the thing I was building, I was figuring that the weapons were configured to automatically return to the storage tesseract if he lost contact with them.

But then, the difference between Restrainable + OIF to OAF is pretty slim. You can take both away. If you get grabbed or entangled, you cannot use either (although OAF makes exceptions here, see the rules). You can only disarm the OAF, but you can "weaponlock" against both.

Personally I'd like to see a little more structure introduced. Restrainable can apply to a focus, but does not necessarily do so. I would be inclined to remove the 'restrainable' element of focuses entirely, so that you can add it in when building a power.

IIF would probably be gotten rid of entirely, as would OIF: if a focus in inaccessable then it is more appropriately built with OIHID: if you have not got it then you can not access the powers, but it is difficult to prevent you using it once the powers are activated.

An OAF or IAF would be worth -1/4 and -1/2 respectively, to which you could add 'restrainable' at the -1/4 or -1/2 levels.

IIF would probably be gotten rid of entirely' date=' as would OIF: if a focus in inaccessable then it is more appropriately built with OIHID: [/quote']

Would there then be a 'breakable' limitation? the other aspect of Foci besides removal (that often gets overlooked) is damage/destruction. An OIHID 'battlesuit' would be unremovable *and* unbreakable.

Would there then be a 'breakable' limitation? the other aspect of Foci besides removal (that often gets overlooked) is damage/destruction. An OIHID 'battlesuit' would be unremovable *and* unbreakable.

Good point. I'd think there would: if you can turn one or more powers off by hitting them then that has to be worth something.

You could have it at multiple levels even: -1/4 for breakable in combat by exceeding Points/5 or DEF, whichever is higher. -1/2 for fragile: Points/10 or DEF/2.

NB something can be effectively indestructible in combat without actually being indestructible - if you are wearing Body Armour and a shot gets through it doesn;t all crumble to dust.

I also think you ought to be allowed to buy Body for Focii at 1 point per point (you don't get the focus limitation on that).