Distinctive Feature: Always Shows Up In Tarot Divinations as Individualized Card

Fabricati

Character always shows up as a single card, that is especially meant for them, in any Tarot divination that includes their involvement somewhere in the reading.

This odd twist of fate happens even if the deck involved does not normally include the card. It includes the card for that one reading, and it vanishes thereafter. It should be particularly telling if that individualized Arcana stays in the deck...

I know it's Not Concealable, and Noticed and Recognizable, but I'm not sure about the Group or Senses used.

Re: Distinctive Feature: Always Shows Up In Tarot Divinations as Individualized Card

So I'm clear on this -

Does this mean the card shows up every time the character consults a cartomancer?

Or that the card shows up even if someone else is consulting on some matter that the character is connected to?

Lucius Alexander

Designing a Palindromedary Trump

Re: Distinctive Feature: Always Shows Up In Tarot Divinations as Individualized Card

As Distinctive Features (and I don't know how else you could do it) that would be "Detectable by small group" and probably "causes major reaction" (if the card is unique it would severely startle any taromancer even if they don't recognize its significance.)

Lucius Alexander

[ATTACH]30786[/ATTACH]

Unless tarot takes some kind of significant role in the game, I'd probably put it at a 0-point Distinctive Feature. What kind of game is it? Is tarot EVER likely to come up? This strikes me as one that is going to be very setting/game dependent.

I know a good GM might MAKE it a part of the adventure if a PC includes something like this, but that's always a good thing to check on. If every player picked some random dealy like this and the GM tried to keep all of that in perspective, it might get a little messy. Straight out of left field and all that. Are you the GM? If not, have you consulted with the GM?

I haven't discussed it with the GM, no, but it was just something I thought of on the fly, and would be interesting in any setting that had cartomancy as a regular divination technique.

I just come up with stuff that I think would be fun to see played out. What it eventually comes to is for others to decide.

If it meant something to the person reading the card and they could have a negative reaction in some way then I'd call it a 10 point disad and ask the GM to run with it. It might be a nice way to bring in the occult and urban fantasy into a game.

Good idea. Repped.

Can't say it would come up in quick pickup game, but if the character was in a campaign, it would come up. I'd say five points since it would still be a limited group, but it's a good story hook to use and as a GM, I need as many hooks as possible.

Hmm...this is a cool effect. I like the idea.

My gut reaction is, this is actually pretty powerful and maybe should cost some points since it allows the character to do something. However it's not really under the characters control and it does reveal more info than the character might like to some adversarial tarot readers.

I suppose Distinctive Features at 0 or 5 points is fine. I might match it with a Reputation perk targeted against Tarot readers since they would tend to treat the character with some level of wariness or extra consideration.

I find it funny. Everyone seems to agree that it depends on how often tarot comes into play in the game. And I agree. But for most it seems like they don't see this happening often. And you are considering this a DF.

While in a game I am playing:

Cartomancy is very common (mental powers/mentalist are vry important aspects of society). There are two kinds of Cartomancy. The run of the meal, corny, "I'll put on a good show for your money", and then "REAL" Cartomance (real in the sense of the game setting, want to make that clear so that tarot buffs don't misunderstand). Real Cartomancy uses decks with blank cards and the answers (symbolicly) appear in the cards, and it is typical for others to appear in the cards, even as a form of communication.

My character actually got killed in the game (I had to take a break and didn't know if I would be back. But I can play again regularly and this has given me an idea for a set of powers.

Well enough of my rambling, cool idea, run with it. I would say 10 points max, but I can see 0 just as well.

Whether tarot is common or not, I imagine this coming up a lot. If, for instance Card Sharp (or whatever his name is) is my enemy, before I go on a job I get a perfectly ordinary deck of cards, lay them out in a divinatory pattern, and If the Prince of Cards appears, I can be pretty sure who to look out for.

Those who want to get him have an easy time tracking him - he shows up - in advance - in the cards (assuming they are looking in even vaguely the right place).

I would allow Not Concealable, Detected by commonly used senses. Technically the frequency of the distinctive features does not contribute to cost, but reaction does. Unless he is a particularly horrific character I would say 'noticed and recognisable' rather than a more extreme reaction.

That runs to 15 points.

OTOH if the Prince of Cards only shows up when a talented tarot reader/cartomancer uses the cards then it is worth less: probably 10 points if cartomancy is common, 5 otherwise.

That's a very interesting take, Sean. I might even be tempted to build it as a Physical Limitation or a specific Susceptibility to Clairsentience (or an interesting variant of Public ID even?!) if it is likely to be used that way in a game.

That's a very interesting take' date=' Sean. I might even be tempted to build it as a Physical Limitation or a specific Susceptibility to Clairsentience (or an interesting variant of Public ID even?!) if it is likely to be used that way in a game.[/quote']

I can be just a shade devious, occasionally :whistle:

Sus to Clairsentience is a nice thought though - it is all a matter of defining the question, I suppose...as usual :)

Guest steamteck

Character always shows up as a single card, that is especially meant for them, in any Tarot divination that includes their involvement somewhere in the reading.

This odd twist of fate happens even if the deck involved does not normally include the card. It includes the card for that one reading, and it vanishes thereafter. It should be particularly telling if that individualized Arcana stays in the deck...

I know it's Not Concealable, and Noticed and Recognizable, but I'm not sure about the Group or Senses used.

I really like this idea.

'Twas always a toss up between law and crime and you chose to become a dirty thieving scum lawyer!! :D

Har har, me harties, and over all that lovely cash :celebrate

I like to think of myself in a pirate paradigm* :)

*Simple things please simple minds