How to Simulate: Martial Arts Masters NND attacks?

KA.

We've all seen this in films of various genres.

A little old man (usually) who is a Master of some particular Martial Art can put a hurtin' on anybody.

I did not post this in the Champions forum, because it applies to many genres, but even in the Superhero Genre it seems to apply.

Now I am not talking about a little old guy being able to take out Superman with an single kick, but the idea that, based on his massive skills, ancient wisdom, and general cool factor, the little old guy can at least make Superman say "ouch". Now with Superman having tons of STUN, the little old guy would never be able to actually do any real damage, but he should be able to get some STUN through (based on the examples I have seen).

First, does anyone else have a good way of simulating this?

Second, I did think of one possible way to do it.

What about an NND attack, where the defense was knowledge of a particular Martial Art?

(With maybe something exotic like Desolidification as an alternative defense, just to make the defense options as a whole be a little more common)

That way, if Master Po applies the joint lock on you, you are going to take some STUN, no matter what your defenses are, unless you know the proper escape move. And the only way to know that is to have studied Kung Fu.

I didn't want to go with Martial Arts Masters having enough damage classes to make Superman say "ouch" because that would also have them able to punch a hole in a tank.

Anyway, that's the question, how would you handle this?

KA.

Re: How to Simulate: Martial Arts Masters NND attacks?

The only problem I see with that, is that if ALL of Master Po's attacks are NND (Kung Fu), he can't do anything against another practitioner of Kung Fu. Other than that, NND is one of the best ways to handle just the situation you find yourself in.

The only problem I see with that' date=' is that if ALL of Master Po's attacks are NND (Kung Fu), he can't do anything against another practitioner of Kung Fu. Other than that, NND is one of the best ways to handle just the situation you find yourself in.[/quote']

Sorry, should have been more specific.

I wasn't saying that all of a Martial Arts Master's attacks should be built with NND. I was thinking that if you wanted to build some attacks that affected those who did not know how to counter them, that NND would be the way to go.

Thanks for the reply,

KA.

My initial gut was "HA with double penetrating" and I think I'm going to stick with that, or just buy double penetrating on his strength. Even if you go up against someone with a hardened forcefield, you're going to ding them to the tune of rolled body damage.

Between Killing Strike' date=' Nerve Strike and Choke Hold, you have alll kinds of ways to get a little damage around most defenses. Martial Arts, even those maneuvers listed in FRED, seems adequate.[/quote']

Not sure I agree there. Choke Hold and Nerve Strike can both be stopped from causing any damage by "rigid PD armor" so they're both utterly useless against most Powered Armor types. And if that rigid PD armor is strong enough, and resistant, it'll stop a Killing Strike as well.

Not sure I agree there. Choke Hold and Nerve Strike can both be stopped from causing any damage by "rigid PD armor" so they're both utterly useless against most Powered Armor types. And if that rigid PD armor is strong enough' date=' and resistant, it'll stop a Killing Strike as well.[/quote']

And how is it justified, SFX-wise, for Master Po to be able to successfully kung-fu Iron Man despite his metal suit?

And how is it justified' date=' SFX-wise, for Master Po to be able to successfully kung-fu Iron Man despite his metal suit?[/quote']

That's for the player to suss out. Maybe Master Po can focus his Ch'i so well that it can bypass any physical armor. Maybe he knows certain methods that would twist up a person's joints, no matter how well they're armored. Maybe he sets up vibrations that can't be totally stopped, no matter what...

All I know is that the OP wanted his master to be able to "put a hurtin' on anybody"

I wouldn't worry about damage. Throw is NND.

Eh?

What I mean is that the little old man might not be able to make Superman go 'ouch', and nor should he, IMO, but he can flip him onto his back (unless Supes is anchored - and why should he be?), which should provide enough 'shock value' to earn a little respect, and if Superman is foolish enough to do a full speed charge, then he might go 'ouch' - you can use throws to change a target's direction and damage is based on relative velocity.

I wouldn't worry about damage. Throw is NND.

Eh?

What I mean is that the little old man might not be able to make Superman go 'ouch', and nor should he, IMO, but he can flip him onto his back (unless Supes is anchored - and why should he be?), which should provide enough 'shock value' to earn a little respect, and if Superman is foolish enough to do a full speed charge, then he might go 'ouch' - you can use throws to change a target's direction and damage is based on relative velocity.

Nice. And exactly the kind of idea I was looking for.

I'm not sure if I communicated it all that well, but I didn't want these types to be able to actually harm someone like Superman, but to be able to have some sort of effect on them just as a bit of flavor.

Thanks, Sean, and to everyone who posted.

KA.