Overcome Psy Limits: Wisdom of Elders

TheDux

Friend is building his first character. It is a Samurai who possesses an ancient sword passed down through the family. The sword grants mystical powers using the spirit of his ancestors. Problem is that while his his family was very honorable, mindful, and self disciplined, this character is far from.

He is taking a serious Psychological Limitation to represent his arrogant, hot headed, self absorbed temperament.

His attitude does not please his ancestors, and they often try to intervene in some of his rash and destructive decisions.

I see the power as a chance for the GM to give the character a second/better chance to succeed a roll against the Psychological Limitation. The activation is dependent on the GM (NCC).

Example of when it would be used:

Admiral Justice has a plan to sneak inside the headquarters of D.E.T.H., the evil corporation trying to enslave America's youth, turning them into zombies. Ronny the Ronin, a member of Admiral Justice's team, wants to burst in through the front door and get through the mission the quickest way possible, but Admiral Justice quickly dismissed the plan with a curt "No". When the time comes, Ronny the Ronin feels the impulse to go through with his plan and disregard the agreed plan.

>GM CALLS FOR A PSY LIMIT ROLL. Ronny fails.

As Ronny the Ronin is about to charge for the door, his ancestors sigh and shake thier heads from the after world. They make an attempt to get through his thick skull that Admiral Justice's plan is the best course and to rethink his actions.

One idea that I was thinking of was: Mind Control - NCC - Self Only - Only to Overcome Psycological Limitations.

The other was to build a very weak follower to represent the ancestors with fairly strong persuasion skill knowledge skill, and telepathy.

Re: Overcome Psy Limits: Wisdom of Elders

Hm...the first construction that comes to my mind is

EGO X (Does not add to character's EGO)

Trigger: When failing an EGO roll to resist a Psychological Limitation

Limited Power: ONLY for making a second EGO roll

Focus (sword)

Another possibility is to just buy levels with EGO rolls, suitably limited.

If the ancestors have other abilities (generally good advice, occasional hints, etc) maybe buy them as a Contact too.

Lucius Alexander

Why not just lower the level of the Psych Lim? Regardless of why it is so, this character won't be as disadvantaged as he might be.

If you decide to go through with building something, try something like a naked Advantage on the character's EGO: Trigger (Whenever he fails an EGO Roll to overcome this particular Psych Lim, resets automatically)

Wisdom of the Elders: +10 EGO, OAF Sword (-1). This means that the Elders provide a measure of defense against Mental powers, and generally keep him focused. (20 Active, 10 Real)

Wisdom of the Elders II: Contact: Own Ancestors, Extremely Useful resources (firsthand experience of the remote past and various combat, professional and knowledge skills, knowledge of the afterlife, GM Option), Good Relationship, Organizational, 11- OAF Sword (-1). (21 Active, 10 Real)

total cost: 20 real

I love the idea of the sword being a conduit to real people who have passed on to the afterworld. Conversely, I don't see why the EGO granted should be limited to certain applications, since it could theoretically be applied to anything that you could apply normal EGO to.

I'd agree with Utech - lower the intensity of the Psych Lim, using ancestor intervention as a rationale. He has to find 5 more character points.

Other than that, well, take a look at psych lims: just because you are hot headed doesn;t mean that the psych lim controls your actions. Others present can talk you round (or even physically restrain you), and if the ancestors are 'real' NPCs (perhaps even DNPCs if you need the points) then they can be one voice of reason with no addiitonal mechanic.

Being hot headed doesn't mean you just ignore team plans. It means you argue for a more direct approach, but if you've agreed to stick to the plan you will, unless events intervene to give your psyche an excuse to do otherwise (I saw them about to shoot someone - I couldn't just watch it happen - we had not planned for that!).

Of course Admiral Justice is not helping much with the attitude, but that may be a facet of his personality. If I was playing Ronny the Ronin I would not just charge in - I'd continue to argue with the Admiral until he backed down or I made an EGO roll. It's all about role playing after all.

I was thinkin a bonus to his ego roll, so he can overcome it when he needs to...

Or Danger Sense; in and out of combat: own stupid actions only?

It seems to me, if he can overcome his psych lims, that what you need is less points given for that lim....uh what sean said...um...yeah....

But with an ability to "sense" his own foolishness, he can try a roll to Not be dumb....or play his character and mess up, he took points afterall...

I was thinkin a bonus to his ego roll, so he can overcome it when he needs to...

Or Danger Sense; in and out of combat: own stupid actions only?

It seems to me, if he can overcome his psych lims, that what you need is less points given for that lim....uh what sean said...um...yeah....

But with an ability to "sense" his own foolishness, he can try a roll to Not be dumb....or play his character and mess up, he took points afterall...

Just to expand oin my wild gibberings a little :)

I don't like Psych Lims already because the same points mean very different things for different characters. It seems very odd that you can overcome your own psych lims this way - a more 'powerful' mind has a more powerful imagination - you are fighting yourself, so it should work on a 8-/11-/14- progression, irrespective of EGO. If anything someone who is overconfident and has a high EGO should be harder to get to change their mind than someone with a low EGO.

Wisdom of the Elders: +10 EGO, OAF Sword (-1). This means that the Elders provide a measure of defense against Mental powers, and generally keep him focused. (20 Active, 10 Real)

Wisdom of the Elders II: Contact: Own Ancestors, Extremely Useful resources (firsthand experience of the remote past and various combat, professional and knowledge skills, knowledge of the afterlife, GM Option), Good Relationship, Organizational, 11- OAF Sword (-1). (21 Active, 10 Real)

total cost: 20 real

I love the idea of the sword being a conduit to real people who have passed on to the afterworld. Conversely, I don't see why the EGO granted should be limited to certain applications, since it could theoretically be applied to anything that you could apply normal EGO to.

I like it. May have to use this sometime!