A snake tail instead of legs

A supervillain has the lower extremities of a snake. He can move along the ground with facility and speed, but the tail does not give him any particular combat advantage, such as a pair of extra arms or a Scorpion-style tail might. My first throught is that this is Extra Limbs (5) as well as a 10-point Physical Lim (since he is still ambulatory but cannot ride a motorcycle or drive a car).

Of course, in addition to Distinctive Features and whatever else.

What say you?

Re: A snake tail instead of legs

That looks about right.

Theoretically, he could drive a car as effectively as a person with 1 leg (no manual transmissions though). I might lower the Physical Limitation to 5 points in that case though.

Another option would be to disregard both the Extra Limb and Physical Lim. and call it a wash (mainly because otherwise you're essentially just decreasing the character's overall points by 5 in relation to others in the same campaign).

A snake tail is marginally, (if any) less useful for locomotion, but fictional character with snake tails often use the tail to grab with (other functions like 'tail sweeps' and tail slaps correspond closely enough to legsweeps and kicks to be a wash). I'd go with the first build (extra limbs) if I intened to use the tail to grab with, otherwise call it a wash and go with disads.

You might go for 'social limitation' too, I suppose.

Ultimately the question of any phys lim depends on how you want the character to run (so to speak) - if it is flavour only, don't take one.

You could even go for a psych lim: self conscious about appearance.

Small Phys Lim, large Distinctive Feature, and while a Social Lim would have made sense for this fellow, I left it off. Simply don't see it coming into play since he's just high-powered cannon fodder.

If he was to appear in a campaign analog to a limited series focusing on the villain team he is a part of, then I'd probably stat the Social Lim.

A snake tail is marginally' date=' (if any) less useful for locomotion, but fictional character with snake tails often use the tail to grab with (other functions like 'tail sweeps' and tail slaps correspond closely enough to legsweeps and kicks to be a wash). I'd go with the first build (extra limbs) if I intened to use the tail to grab with, otherwise call it a wash and go with disads.[/quote']

I would say even the grab is pretty close to using your legs to hold.

I would however buy some limited form of stretching to represent the extra bending ability of the tail (And maybe a bit of extra length)

I actually just built a hero like this the other day. I did not give him extra limbs, stretching or any other benefits, and in fact sold back some of his running and leaping. That, coupled with a phys lim and distinctive appearance, were enough for me.

I agree with the decreased leaping (flying snake is a major exception, not the rule, and glides, it doesn't leap vertically upwards), and perhaps a decreased run speed (although certainly not guaranteed; there are some very swift snakes). However, those saying grab should be unchanged have never been grabbed by a big snake. A human-sized snake tail replacing human-sized legs would be ENORMOUSLY strong in terms of grabbing. Snakes, even the small non-constrictors, have an awful lot of muscle power in their elongated bodies. If the lower body IS a constrictor? Forgetaboutit, their grabs should be insanely strong compared to a human.

Finally, your average snake tail should allow for an increased ability to climb, and also allow for one to, as has been suggested, allow for limited stretching (such as allowing the being in question to lift its upper body to a significantly higher height, as one example).

In the final analysis, every thought put forth here is a pretty good idea, and one should build this type of character however it best fits your vision of the character, as modified by what your GM will allow. ;)

BTW, I love the idea of the 'constrictor' tail. I may have to use that for a character some day...:D