"As Long as I Have Will to Fight..."

Fabricati

Here's a somewhat vague power to try and model. The character in question has the ability, as long as a weapon is in hand and she has the will to fight, the weapon in said hand will not break.

This is something that I'm finding it a little difficult to model, since it's not a Power Advantage per se... Help?

Re: "As Long as I Have Will to Fight..."

Well, offhand...

One expensive way to do it is with Killing Attack with Variable Advantage, IAF "weapon of opportunity" and define the Focus as "Unbreakable." This also gets around the weapon familiarity rules.

Another option is to take the highest Active Point cost a weapon is likely to have, calculate what the Focus and Real Weapon limitations save off that, and buy that amount of points as a Custom Power defined as "buying off" that limitation. It means a weapon in your hands is no longer a "Focus" at all. Or just buy off the Real Weapon limit plus the "breakability" part of the Focus limit (which effectively costs 0 pts to buy off) and the weapon remains a focus that can be taken away but not broken. Well, not until it's taken away first. It's also unlikely to jam or misfire etc. if it would be subject to such.

Finally, try Transform: Breakable Focus into Unbreakable Focus.

Lucius Alexander

Transform palindromedary into backandforthtrian

Indestructible Focus, with the one way to break it being to break the character's fighting spirit? Assuming it's a singular weapon.

Alternately: Buying off the OAF limitation for weaponry, with the limitation 'only while (name) has fighting spirit', though then you're gonna have to define that somehow, for any weapon he grabs.

Indestructible Focus, with the one way to break it being to break the character's fighting spirit? Assuming it's a singular weapon.

Alternately: Buying off the OAF limitation for weaponry, with the limitation 'only while (name) has fighting spirit', though then you're gonna have to define that somehow, for any weapon he grabs.

Bleh. The latter- any weapon in his hands is Unbreakable, as long as he's still truly willing to fight someone (which means this ablity is useless if, for instance, he's facing off against someone he must fight, but is old friends with...). Unfortunately, it is as clunky as I feared it was, at least in that form.

I'd handwave it, except I'm almost certain it'll come up at some point, especially as the other characters are also just as Mythical, as is the tone.

Bleh. The latter- any weapon in his hands is Unbreakable' date=' as long as he's still truly willing to fight someone (which means this ablity is useless if, for instance, he's facing off against someone he [i']must[/i] fight, but is old friends with...). Unfortunately, it is as clunky as I feared it was, at least in that form.

I'd handwave it, except I'm almost certain it'll come up at some point, especially as the other characters are also just as Mythical, as is the tone.

I confess, I was trying to figure out what the heck this power was supposed to be ...

Here's a thought, it is, however, still pretty clunky. Variable Power Pool that can only change when he picks up a weapon. The Control Cost takes no Focus limitation, and the powers have to mimic the appropriate stats for whatever weapon he picked up. Extra Dimensional Movement (Collie ducks flying produce) that basically just tucks away the 'real' weapon so it can't be targetted.

In mechanics terms, let's say there's a 2d6 HKA greatsword he grabs. His pool switches to a 2d6 HKA, and simultaneously, the original object poofs into the XD space where it can't be damaged. He has all the damage of the sword, but since he's not actually holding a focus, it can't be attacked or damaged, it's just special effects. When he deactivates the pool, the original weapon pops out of the XD pocket and he sets it down (or it swaps with the 'power' weapon when he stops having fighting spirit).

Yeah, really, really clunky, but that's what tends to happen with weird power effects.

Hmm. Desolidification, only to protect held weaponry ... ?

This might be way out there' date=' but maybe it's an Aid (Succor?) to DEF, BODY or both, only applies to weapons carried by the character, only if he has the will to fight?[/quote']

That still leaves things like Body-doing NNDs and Penetrating Killing Attacks as problems, though. I suppose you could buy every conceivable defensive power usable by the weapons ...

After ALOT of thought (probably more than this ability is worth)

The problem is you want to turn a focus from a breakable to an unbreakable, which is a 0 point option (In otherwords if you are buying a focus you get to choose one or the other, but you want to change it)

So after ALOT of thought, I have decided there are 3 ways to build it depending on what type of game you are in

"realistic": In a realistic game you have rules for breaking weapons, in this type of game you would need desolid, and Affect physical worlds as a naked advantage, desol would be limited to weapons, be persistant, etc...

"cinematic": Does not normaly use breaking rules unless the weapon is targeted, equipment is usualy free however. In this type of game I would it as a 1 point talent. built as buing off the 0 point option with another 0 point option, then the minimum cost rule comes into effect

"Super heroic" I would not charge at all as most weapons should be built as powers, if you are "borrowing" a weapon it is a temporary thing and should be covered under the F/X rules that you have for your weapons you normaly cary...

It's really an SFX of things; Buying off a Focus, or considering a Focus to be an Unbreakable Focus.

The latter is really the best option.

Call it a 10 Point Perk or Talent: Any Universal Focus Weapon is Unbreakable As Long As It's Held.

Final thought:

+30 DEF +30 BODY; UBO:Any Weapon/Focus.

It's really an SFX of things; Buying off a Focus, or considering a Focus to be an Unbreakable Focus.

The latter is really the best option.

Call it a 10 Point Perk or Talent: Any Universal Focus Weapon is Unbreakable As Long As It's Held.

Final thought:

+30 DEF +30 BODY; UBO:Any Weapon/Focus.

In a game that does not normaly use weapon breaking rules do you really feel that it is a 10 point ability however?

or 5.. I picked a number completely at random. Could be 1.

Thing is - Hero does have rules for Breaking Things and Breaking Focii, so we do have them by default, we just really never use them unless someone specifically targets said Thing or Focus.

The value of the ability will, at the very least, vary by Campaign.

or 5.. I picked a number completely at random. Could be 1.

Thing is - Hero does have rules for Breaking Things and Breaking Focii, so we do have them by default, we just really never use them unless someone specifically targets said Thing or Focus.

The value of the ability will, at the very least, vary by Campaign.

OK, I can fullheartedly agree with this then, I had thought the number 10 was for a specific reason, if it is one out of the hat then I see what you are getting at and agree. As I said above I can see it being a monster of a ability (Probably costing 100 points or more, I did not cost it out) in a game where the breaking rules is a big deal, to 0 in something like a supers game...

Kind of a large range there huh :)

It could be as little as 0 pts - if it's unlikely to come up often, it can be the "Special Effects" of being whatever mythical character you are.

It could be 1 pt, for the privilege of changing a 0 pt option to another 0 pt option.

But if the "Real Weapon" limitation is used in the game at all, I might say you need to be able to buy that off if you want to turn anything you use as a weapon into something unbreakable.

Lucius Alexander

Real Palindromedary Limitation