Usable As Attack power question

Darkhope

I have a player that wants a power that simulates damaging himself and manifesting that damage or the attack, on other targets. Basically he wants a 2D6 KA that he uses on himself in a variable form, knife, gun, brick, whatever he has available, and the damage is applied to his true target. Since its his "power" he doesn't take much of the real damage. So I was going to give him 3/4 DMG RED Res PD (Only vs. that power -2). But how do I build the power that he uses "on himself," that his targets take the damage?

2D6 KA (Self Only -1/2, Usable as Attack +1, Ranged+1/2, Variable Special Effects +1/4)

What ya'll think? Does that work? I don't think so, thats why I'm asking for help.

Re: Usable As Attack power question

He wants to be able to injure himself in any way and have the damage go to the target. Thats alot of attacks to build lol. He's not an experienced player so i don't want to give him a pool to manipulte... But your idea is good. Gonna have to read up on the IPE, didn't think of that.

A) You can't actually attack yourself.

B) It's just an SFX for an attack.

Try something like this:

Sympathetic Pains: RKA 2d6 (vs. PD), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Indirect (Same origin, any direction; Character Harms Self, Severe Damage Is Inflicted On Target; +1/2) (52 Active Points); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Character Suffers 1 Point of BODY Damage; -1/2), Restrainable (Character Must Be Able To Inflict Damage Upon Themselves; -1/2); Real Cost: 26

Just sounds like an Indirect (bypasses intervening barriers, cannot be missile deflected, does not target from any particular direction) and no range penalty. Total of +1 in advantages. So a 2d6 RKA would be a 60 active point attack. it should also be a Does no KB (-1/4) for a real cost of 48.

A) You can't actually attack yourself.

B) It's just an SFX for an attack.

Try something like this:

Sympathetic Pains: RKA 2d6 (vs. PD), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Indirect (Same origin, any direction; Character Harms Self, Severe Damage Is Inflicted On Target; +1/2) (52 Active Points); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Character Suffers 1 Point of BODY Damage; -1/2), Restrainable (Character Must Be Able To Inflict Damage Upon Themselves; -1/2); Real Cost: 26

I like this build. Some variants:

If the intent is that the character harms himself with available weapons (eg. a fantasy character using a purchased dagger or axe), perhaps the build should be a Naked Advantage of Ranged and Indirect.

NND, Does BOD could be added if the intent is that, since the character takes the damage, his target does not get his own defenses. eg. the character slashes his arm, and a similar slash appears under his target's plate armor.

The Side Effect could be made more severe - eg. "character takes same damage as target".

Buy all of your attack as ranged attacks and then take missile deflection and reflection to reflect your attacks at others...:P

Check out this thread (http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71036) which has a (huge) build for the effect you want.

[edit] I'm not sure if this is legal but I once used a villain named Voodoo Doll who had a UAA Mind Link with the Feedback Limitation (STUN and BODY). The target was forced to use the Mind Link on Doll so that the target took whatever damage Voodoo Doll took.

I would build this like Killer Shrike, but I think I would include the Variable Special Effects advantage to represent that the original source of the damage could be anything. And if the character has to use weapons he finds lying around, you might also include OIF - weapon of convenience.

To take it a step further, make it a 4d6 RKA, but add the limitation "max damage limited by weapon (-½)" in case he ever finds some heavy artillery or if he manages to use this power to turn a villain's attack back at him. If you want to get really fancy, you might put it all in a multipower so you can have one slot for normal damage and one for killing damage.

I have yet to see Killer Shrike answer a build question that didn't leave me thinking, "Yeah, that makes total sense to me". So, I'd go with his approach.

Which makes me want to challenge him to write-up a power that gives someone the ability to do cool write-ups.

I have yet to see Killer Shrike answer a build question that didn't leave me thinking, "Yeah, that makes total sense to me". So, I'd go with his approach.

Which makes me want to challenge him to write-up a power that gives someone the ability to do cool write-ups.

Now if only he'd shell out some xp and make it UBO...;)

Yeah, I'd just call it SFX on top of whatever Advantages seem appropriate for the delivery unless A.) the character does actually damage him-/herself (Side Effects, no defences apply), or B.) the character makes it look like he also damages himself, well enough to fool other people (Images or maybe Shapeshift).