6 REC 0

26 END 0

25 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 57

Movement:

Running: 5"/10"

Leaping: 2"/4"

Swimming: 3"/6"

Cost Powers END

4 Youre a heartbreaker Dream maker, love taker Don't you mess around with me! : Skill Levels +3 to EGO Rolls (6 Active Points); Limited Power Only to resist Interaction Skills (-1/2)

7 Sanctuary, give me some protection : Armor (5 PD/5 ED) (15 Active Points); Only When Serving Love's Purposes (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) 1

7 Whatcha' tryin' a do to my head? : Mental Defense (10 points total)

5 What are ya tryin' a do to my head? : Mental Awareness

10 Whatcha' tryin' a do to my soul? : Power Defense (10 points)

3 You got every advantage when they put out the lights : Nightvision (5 Active Points); Only When Serving Love's Purposes (-1/2)

2 It's not so pretty when it fades away Cause it's just an illusion in this passion play : Detect A Class Of Things: Illusions and Images 13- (Unusual Group) (5 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2), Only When Serving Love's Purposes (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 1

26 One day every eye will see truth before the light. Let it be done right now : Dispel 12d6, any illusion or image type power one at a time (+1/4) (45 Active Points); Only When Serving Love's Purposes (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4) 4

20 Love is the light, shining over every mountain top : Dispel Darkness 12d6 (36 Active Points); Only When Serving Love's Purposes (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4) 4

5 Firewalkers feel no pain from the coals : (Total: 13 Active Cost, 5 Real Cost) Fireproof I Armor (0 PD/4 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (7 Active Points); Only When Serving Love's Purposes (-1/2), Only Works Against Fire or Heat (-1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 3) plus Fireproof II +4 ED (4 Active Points); Linked (Fireproof I; -1/2), Only When Serving Love's Purposes (-1/2), Only Works Against Fire or Heat (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 1) plus Fireproof III Life Support (Safe in Intense Heat) (2 Active Points); Only When Serving Love's Purposes (-1/2), Linked (Fireproof I; -1/2) (Real Cost: 1) 1

9 He'd speak in unknown languages She'd translate every word : Universal Translator 14- (21 Active Points); Only When Serving Love's Purposes (-1/2), Limited Power Conversations only, not reading and writing. (-1/2), Conditional Power Modified by "The Love Factor" - i.e. friendly speech is easily communicated, angry speech would be gibberish. (-1/4)

12 He could not make things possible But, she could make them holy, holy... : Change Environment - Sanctify to Love 8" radius, -1 OCV, Long-Lasting 1 Hour, Conforming (+1/2) (45 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -3/4), Only when serving Love's purposes (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Requires A Paladin Skill Roll (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 4

Talents

4 Hit me with your best shot!: Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED) (6 Active Points); Limited Power Does not stack with armor or other resistant defenses (-1/2)

10 Stand with me here together In the light of love now And forever : Divine Favor

14 I know that you're afraid You know that Im afraid, too But you gotta have faith; you gotta listen To what your heart is telling you : Fearless

12 You Better Run! You Better Hide! You better leave from my sight! : Turn Undead

3 As he traveled on a road of hope : Bump Of Direction

Skills

3 Knock me down, it's all in vain, I get right back on my feet again: Breakfall 12-

2 This hard road traveled on Will lead us home, forever : Navigation (Land) 13-

3 You can see all the lights of the diamond field The treasure buried in plain sight : Concealment 13-

3 Tightrope walkin', in the web of light : Acrobatics 12-

3 I'm gonna follow you, `cause this here's my town : Shadowing 13-

3 You don't know these streets the way that I do : Streetwise 13-

6 Hear the lion's song, voices cryin' like a desert wind : Survival (Temperate/Subtropical, Desert, Mountain) 13-

3 Oh will you heal me, will you take away my pain : Paramedics 13-

3 What are we waiting for ? We can't afford to be innocent. Stand up and face the enemy. : Oratory 13-

3 I'm gonna follow you, `till I know your timing : Teamwork 12-

3 We are strong, no one can tell us we're wrong Searchin' our hearts for so long, both of us knowing Love Is A Battlefield: Tactics 13-

3 Just tryin' to keep the handle on the blade WF: Common Melee Weapons, Whips

3 So you think you got it all figured out You're an expert in the field, without a doubt But I know your methods inside and out - Jack of All Trades

2 1) I'm gonna dance for you! : PS: Dancing (3 Active Points) 12-

2 2) Once there was a man, and his words became a song of love And his song became the golden dream : PS: Singing (3 Active Points) 13-

2 3) We belong to the light, we belong to the thunder: PS: Paladin (3 Active Points) 13-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 200

Total Cost: 257

75+ Disadvantages

10 You're the right kind of sinner, to release my inner fantasy - Psychological Limitation: Sucker for love - must make EGO roll to resist Seduction or attempted manipulation based on friendship, passion, or compassion (Common, Moderate)

5 The wounded are much wiser -Distinctive Features: Battle Scars (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

5 Because hell, Hell is for children - Enraged: A child is harmed, endangered, abused, or neglected (Uncommon), go 8-, recover 14-

10 Once again, I'll walk the coals Tiptoe through the minefields of your soul I've come to take you home - Dependent NPC: Various people who need help 8- (Normal)

15 Just like every cross you ever carried, every badge you ever wore Every vow you ever taken, every oath you ever swore - Psychological Limitation: Once committed, never backs down or changes course. (Common, Strong)

15 Hunted: Cause somewhere, somebody keeps a list Of the evils that men do 14- (Mo Pow, Watching)

5 In love and war we stand alone Trustin' nothin' but our own, red vision : Fated always to be alone; lovers, friends, and companions always turn out to be temporary Custom Limitation, Destiny

10 Somethin' brings us together, keeps tearin' us apart - Unluck: 3d6: Only with personal relationships (-1/2)

110 Totally Awesome Bonus

Total Disadvantage Points: 257

Quote:

So fear no evil

The God i know is Love, Love

Is a battlefield

We are young, heartache to heartache we stand

No promises, no demands

Love Is A Battlefield

-----------------------------------------------------------

I really should look up all those lyrics and credit the writers....

I took the lyrics from probably a dozen different Pat Benetar songs.

I wrote the haiku in the "Quotes" section, but I basically cobbled it out of pieces - Love is a Battlefield is a Benetar song, Fear no evil is from a psalm, and God is Love is from the gospels.

Edit: I'm thinking of adding martial arts, with the quote "Put up your dukes, let's get down to it!"

And maybe I can sneak Stealth in after all...

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary suggests figuring out how to load that HD file....[ATTACH]31080[/ATTACH]

Re: Paladin Benetar

...¨In love and war¨ is the most powerful, most depressing Disadvantage I´ve ever seen.

And although I don´t know who Pat Benatar is, based on these lyrics, I want to give this person a listen... once I have access to speakers again.

Edit: Well, I know ¨Heartbreaker, dreammaker.¨ That´s a good one. So I think I´d like... her?....work.

Also- I might not let a player take those last two Disads, just because it might depress me too much as a GM to use them. Depends on the tone of the game, I suppose. I could handle a funny interpretation of it... anything more than that.... I´d feel like a cad.

...¨In love and war¨ is the most powerful, most depressing Disadvantage I´ve ever seen.

And although I don´t know who Pat Benatar is, based on these lyrics, I want to give this person a listen... once I have access to speakers again.

Edit: Well, I know ¨Heartbreaker, dreammaker.¨ That´s a good one. So I think I´d like... her?....work.

Also- I might not let a player take those last two Disads, just because it might depress me too much as a GM to use them. Depends on the tone of the game, I suppose. I could handle a funny interpretation of it... anything more than that.... I´d feel like a cad.

The legacy of this exercise may be to inspire me to work up in detail the idea of "Destiny" as a Disad and to post it.

Later I do plan to post the "vision" I have for the character.

I'm seeing her mainly as an NPC by the way, although there are probably campaigns where she could be adapted as a PC. Probably need a lot of changes..

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that there are great lines we never used.

Before I put another notch on my lipstick case

You better make sure you put me in my place

Hit me with your best shot

Very cool. I only know Pat Benatar's work a bit (e.g. Love Is A Battlefield & Hit Me With Your Best Shot.)

I didn't know she'd covered Harry Chapin's "Shooting Star"...which I think is a great song by a great story-singer.

9 He'd speak in unknown languages She'd translate every word : Universal Translator 14- (21 Active Points); Only When Serving Love's Purposes (-1/2), Limited Power Conversations only, not reading and writing. (-1/2), Conditional Power Modified by "The Love Factor" - i.e. friendly speech is easily communicated, angry speech would be gibberish. (-1/4)

12 He could not make things possible But, she could make them holy, holy... : Change Environment - Sanctify to Love 8" radius, -1 OCV, Long-Lasting 1 Hour, Conforming (+1/2) (45 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -3/4), Only when serving Love's purposes (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Requires A Paladin Skill Roll (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 4

Very cool. I only know Pat Benatar's work a bit (e.g. Love Is A Battlefield & Hit Me With Your Best Shot.)

I didn't know she'd covered Harry Chapin's "Shooting Star"...which I think is a great song by a great story-singer.

I think she did a whole album as a Chapin tribute.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wonders what she'd make of the character.

Later I do plan to post the "vision" I have for the character.

Then again, with five people reputizing it so far, perhaps the character speaks for herself....

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that there are great lines we never used.

Before I put another notch on my lipstick case

You better make sure you put me in my place

Hit me with your best shot

What's weird? Every time I see a "God of Love" in fiction I think of that C. S. Lewis book, The Four Loves. He made out that Eros (he used the name of the god as a term for romantic love, to avoid confusion and save space) was actually a dangerous thing. "Love becomes a demon the moment it becomes a god". One of my favorite passages:

Even when it becomes clear beyond all evasion that marriage with the Beloved cannot possibly lead to happiness - when it cannot even profess to offer any other life than that of tending an incurable invalid, of hopeless poverty, of exile, or of disgrace - Eros never hesitates to say, "Better this than parting. Better to be miserable with her than happy without her. Let our hearts break provided they break together." If the voice within us does not say this, then it is not the voice of Eros.
In short, he makes out that when romantic love becomes a god, it becomes cruel, demanding all you can offer and more. When you think you'll finally get what he promised, he'll send you chasing something else. Nothing will ever satisfy him.

What's weird? Every time I see a "God of Love" in fiction I think of that C. S. Lewis book' date=' [i']The Four Loves[/i]. He made out that Eros (he used the name of the god as a term for romantic love, to avoid confusion and save space) was actually a dangerous thing. "Love becomes a demon the moment it becomes a god". ....

In short, he makes out that when romantic love becomes a god, it becomes cruel, demanding all you can offer and more. When you think you'll finally get what he promised, he'll send you chasing something else. Nothing will ever satisfy him.

I find three things ironic about this.

1. C.S. Lewis was Christian, and the phrase "God is Love" appears in the Gospel of John more than once.

By the way, in calling this character a "Knight of Love" and making it explicit that she (or he; you could use the character sheet for a male) serves Love, I definitely had in mind something broader than erotic love. In fact, if you notice, Seduction is missing from the skill list (as is Stealth for that matter, I couldn't seem to sneak it in.)

2. As for cruel and demanding Gods, I guess he'd be an expert.

Perhaps my favorite episode of Xena involved a thinly disguised version of the story of Abraham and Isaac. Xena's reaction on learning that this man's God demanded the sacrifice of his son: "And I thought Ares was cold."

3. I've actually read C. S. Lewis' The Four Loves although it was about 30 years ago. Perhaps it's not fair to judge a book on my impression of it when I was fourteen, but I remember classing him with John Norman in terms of his level of understanding of some of his subject matter. I was not at all arrogant at that age regarding my understanding of relations between men and women - to this day you will often hear me protest that I don't know what love is - but I remember thinking that Lewis and Norman were two men who understood even less than I thought I already did.

I was more impressed with Heinlein's definition: Love is that state in which another person's happiness is essential to one's own. This is obviously much broader than romantic love too - if I am made unhappy by seeing a media image of a starving child in a far away land, or by reading a passage in which a character I identify with faces danger and hardship, I could be said to "love" these people in a limited and temporary way even though one is a stranger and the other is fictional.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks maybe I should work on that vision thing.

I love her. Destiny is a great disad. but...can it be bought off?

I had you in mind when I posted it. I thought "I bet Chad will love this." :D

The general rule on Disadvantages is that they can be bought off or sometimes "traded in" unless they are central to the character conception. Depending on how it's defined, a Destiny may be something that can be fulfilled. If it's your Destiny to kill your father and marry your mother, and you've done so, you can do as Oddyseus did and trade it in for "Blind" and "Exile." Oh, and "Reputation: That woman traveling with him is his daughter AND his sister, if you know what I mean."

Even if it's not fulfillable, maybe a Destiny can be bought off. It depends on if the person running the game thinks it's possible for someone to change their own Destiny.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary suggests buying Density Increase and the Disadvantage: Dyslexic, if you want to control your own destiny

C.S. Lewis was originally an athiest, but was converted to christianity by his good friend J.R.R. Tolkien.

Hence, there would be a certain disconnect between his earlier writings and his later writings. ;)

Possibly, but I'm not aware of anything he wrote while an Atheist. The work under discussion is most definitely Christian.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary still wants to see Pat Minotaur

• 3 weeks later...

The legacy of this exercise may be to inspire me to work up in detail the idea of "Destiny" as a Disad and to post it.

Lucius Alexander

Already done, under the nam e "Fated"

http://www.lostcoastgaming.com/files/masterlists.htm

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary still thinks I can do it better