Anyone run a Starcraft setting

wyldspirit

Re: Anyone run a Starcraft setting

There is one fundamental difference between the two: Starcraft's Space Marines are convicts (and thus eminently expendable since you were going to shoot them anyway)' date=' while the Mobile Infantry of [i']Starship Troopers[/i] are an elite group of volunteers -- in fact, you can't get in if you have any sort of criminal record.

I haven't seen anything saying the space marines are convicts, where did you get that from? I just looked at the Starcraft site to double check and didn't see anything there about it.

I haven't seen anything saying the space marines are convicts' date=' where did you get that from? I just looked at the Starcraft site to double check and didn't see anything there about it.[/quote']

The Starcraft 2 trailer is my primary source. It has a display of the viewpoint character's convictions for numerous violent offenses before equipping him and sending him out into combat.

The Starcraft 2 trailer is my primary source. It has a display of the viewpoint character's convictions for numerous violent offenses before equipping him and sending him out into combat.

One of the human governments used a lot of convicts and dregs in their marine units:

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Marine

Ok, I haven't really seen much for SC2, so it may be something new they decided to add.

One of the human governments used a lot of convicts and dregs in their marine units:

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Marine

Is this actually an "official" Star Craft site, or a fan site? The Blizzard site doesn't have this much detail.

But the book for SsT predates the game by decades.

La Rose.

Except of course that the bugs in the book are nothing like the ones in Starcraft, not having castes, not having brain bugs,not mutating at birth and able to have alliances with other races.

The two (and only two) similarities between Starship Troopers (the book) and Starcraft are-

The enemy is called bugs by the humans.

There are humans fighting them in powered armour.

It does look like a good site' date=' but if it is a fan site it could include a some speculation.[/quote']

Mostly, it tries to pull together multiple sources, such as cut scenes, extra scenarios released by Blizzard, StarCraft novels, and so on. While those generally are authorized projects, they aren't necessarily actually canonical -- Blizzard may at some later point choose to ignore them.

Mostly' date=' it tries to pull together multiple sources, such as cut scenes, extra scenarios released by Blizzard, StarCraft novels, and so on. While those generally [i']are[/i] authorized projects, they aren't necessarily actually canonical -- Blizzard may at some later point choose to ignore them.

When that happens it says to me that a company can't be bothered reading.

They commission work, presumably pay an editor and publisher to get it published - but they can't be bothered keeping track of what actually is in a book by, you know, reading it.

Why go to that amount of effort to add to a background story that was initially created to give the game a reason for having these battles - if you aren't going to bother to use the same one for future games?

It smacks of too much bureaucracy.

I figured as much (in hindsight)' date=' but it was a point I wanted to make at some point in this discussion, especially since the PCs would probably be Terran (unless someone wanted to play a Protoss -- there's just not that much PC potential in the Zerg) and thus would be affected by their different social status.[/quote']

See, I'm the guy who would want to try to play as 2 Zerglings (2 zerglings, for those that aren't familiar, are spawned from one egg).

Except of course that the bugs in the book are nothing like the ones in Starcraft, not having castes, not having brain bugs,not mutating at birth and able to have alliances with other races.The two (and only two) similarities between Starship Troopers (the book) and Starcraft are-

Not entirely true. The book did not have “brain bugs” like the movie (although I think their existence was hinted at), but it did have queens that were very mysterious and believed to be responsible for the entire reproduction of any colony or group of Arachnids. Also, in the book there is very little to no difference in the appearance of the warriors and the worker even though the workers have little defense, no fighting ability, and generally flee from any trouble. It’s been a while since I’ve read it, but I’m pretty sure the book made reference to the queens being able to reproduce the kind of bugs needed (warriors, workers, etc.).

You are correct though, that the book “bugs” are not very like the Zerg, as they use beam weapons and spacecrafts, presumably built from technology, not organics.

See' date=' I'm the guy who would want to try to play as 2 Zerglings (2 zerglings, for those that aren't familiar, are spawned from one egg).[/quote']

Sadly, Zerg are pretty well nonsapient -- the only canon exceptions are Cerebrates, Overminds, and the Queen of Blades, though we can reasonably extrapolate that other Zerg-Terran sapient hybrids can be made (standard infested Terrans, however, do not seem to be sapient), and it's probable that Zerg-Protoss could also be sapient.

Sadly' date=' Zerg are pretty well nonsapient -- the only canon exceptions are Cerebrates, Overminds, and the Queen of Blades, though we can reasonably extrapolate that other Zerg-Terran sapient hybrids can be made (standard infested Terrans, however, do not seem to be sapient), and it's probable that Zerg-Protoss could also be sapient.[/quote']

Pretty much like playing an alien from the Alien series, neat badguy but not a lot of room for the individuality generally expected in a PC.

Except of course that the bugs in the book are nothing like the ones in Starcraft, not having castes, not having brain bugs,not mutating at birth and able to have alliances with other races.

The two (and only two) similarities between Starship Troopers (the book) and Starcraft are-

There are specifically "brain bugs" mentioned in the book. Operation Bug House was specifically mounted to capture one or more of them before the invasion of the Bug homeworld. The humans had psykers who were able to locate the underground tunnels and tell the MI where to go.

Sadly' date=' Zerg are pretty well nonsapient -- the only canon exceptions are Cerebrates, Overminds, and the Queen of Blades, though we can reasonably extrapolate that other Zerg-Terran sapient hybrids can be made (standard infested Terrans, however, do not seem to be sapient), and it's probable that Zerg-Protoss could also be sapient.[/quote']

You'd have to stretch the source material a bit but I don't see why Kerrigan wouldn't experiment with sapient Zerg. If only to tap into the psychic potential which she herself has bequeathed to the Zerg race.

• 3 months later...

This thread is not that old, so I'll revive it rather than start my own.

So, last night my GM decided that he didn't want to continue GMing our Firefly Campaign because he wanted to include Aliens, I was a bit down on it as I was really enjoying the Camapaign, however reluctantly I gave in to his wishes.

Then when I noticed he didn't actually have another setting in mind (homemade or otherwise) I jumped at the chance to play in the StarCraft Universe.

So here we are, my Character is an Ex-Marine who may or maynot be Psychic (I haven't decided yet), and the other PC is an Android (secret hightech military android that broke programing and is on the run).

Together we are co-owners of a ship we bought/stole, and we just finsihed our first smuggling run, the cargo turned out to be Zerglings which proceeded to wreak alot of havoc on the enemies of the man hiring us.

Now we've just found out that something is still onboard and we're pretty sure its a Zergling.

The session ended with my Character unloading a clip into a shadowy figure in the Engine Room, as the GM needed to try and figure out some stats for the critters, and for the guns and armor, and ship and well it turns out we need everything statted.

Hence I'm reviving this thread to find out if anyone has done anymore work on the StarCraft Setting, with the New Game round the corner I'm hoping this is stirring up some creative juices. I've already raided the "Terran Armory" in another thread, and it was a great start.

My only concearn now is that work will start getting done but it'll all be for 6th Edition :(

Anyway, if anyone has anymore good links, or stats for all things StarCraft let us know.

Thanks!

There are specifically "brain bugs" mentioned in the book. Operation Bug House was specifically mounted to capture one or more of them before the invasion of the Bug homeworld. The humans had psykers who were able to locate the underground tunnels and tell the MI where to go.

Starship Troopers (the book) specifically mentions brain bugs, queens, warriors and workers.