Magic sword abilities

paladin.oa

I'm trying to make a magic sword with some special abilities.

The primary ability is to heal any wounds that its wielder sustains, I'm thinking of BODY primarily, but STUN wouldn't be unwelcome.

The secondary abilities that I want are attack related, these I can come up with on my own.

The problem, I want these abilities to be fueled by the blood of those that the sword cuts.

For this I thought that I could place a trigger on the REC of an END reserve, but that's apparently a no go, then I thought that a succor XD6 to END reserve with a trigger might do the trick, but I'm thinking that wouldn't add END to the reserve but rather just make the END reserve bigger:confused:.

So assistance required or AKA :help:.

Re: Magic sword abilities

Why not a Trigger (when the weapon inflicts BODY Damage) and a Custom Limitation (only heals up to equivalent BODY and STUN as the damage caused) on Simplified Healing? That last one should be worth' date=' say, -½ . . .[/quote']

I want the sword to completely restore the wielders' BODY if at all possible, healing has a cap on it as far as I know, is this wrong?

I would also like to have alternate attacks fueled by the blood of my foes, so how to do that?

The blood of one's foes could be treated as OAF, Expendable. That's if you can somehow harvest blood from fallen enemies after combat. Sounds kinda ghoulish. :bounce:

And as for restoring BODY -- you mean that the BODY healed is not in proportion to the damage done, is that right? Then you can use Trigger, as above, on a large Heal BODY with Standard Effect -- say, 10d6. That should be enough for just about anyone.

Here's a starting point you can adjust to fit your needs:

(list) Bloodthirsty Sword of Regeration, all slots OAF (Sword; -1)

22 1) Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (2 1/2d6 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points) - END=0

54 2) Healing BODY 2d6 (standard effect: 6 points), Can Heal Limbs, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Invisible Power Effects, SFX Only (Fully Invisible; +1/2), [two powers] simultaneously (BODY & STUN; +1/2), Continuous (+1), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; Whenever BODY damage is done to living target with HKA ; +1), Decreased Re-use Duration (1 Turn; Combined with Trigger this makes it count per individual wound; +1 1/2) (150 Active Points); Self Only (-1/2), Linked (Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand; -1/4) - END=0

The blood of one's foes could be treated as OAF, Expendable. That's if you can somehow harvest blood from fallen enemies after combat. Sounds kinda ghoulish. :bounce:

And as for restoring BODY -- you mean that the BODY healed is not in proportion to the damage done, is that right? Then you can use Trigger, as above, on a large Heal BODY with Standard Effect -- say, 10d6. That should be enough for just about anyone.

How about easily recovered charges? If so, how many points of BODY=1 charge? As for the healing, think like a DnD vampiric regeneration weapon that can store "life" force and heal as much or more damage that it dishes out, potentially ending a battle with a reserve of "life" force that could be used later.

As far as the harvesting goes, I'm planning on making the sword as an artifact follower, giving it some leaping, then after a battle my character would toss the sword onto the nearest corpse, and the blade would hop from one to another until all corpses were dry:eg:.

This wouldn't mean that the sword was evil, after all, the dead don't need their blood do they?

Think of it as free mummification.

this is a bastard sword

the mp is linked to the HKA

the transfer can only suck up what the blade did in damage(it does not do any extra damage)

the body is converted to end so 1 body=4 end or 20 if you want to play that way my pref is 4

the mp may be switched to heal the wielder(max at 6 body)

or regen so long as it is in your hand it will heal you and bring you back to life so long as the end reserve has end

you have a max of 25 2d6 heals or 25 pts of regen

you may have to dig your way out if your friends bury you with the sword

this is what I built see if this works of you

Blood Drinker Bastard sword: HKA 2d6-1 (2d6+1 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (37 Active Points); Independent (-2), OAF (-1), Required Hands One-And-A-Half-Handed (-1/4)

Endurance Reserve (100 END, 0 REC) Reserve: (10 Active Points); Independent (-2), OAF (-1)

Blood drinker's powers: Multipower, 45-point reserve, (45 Active Points); all slots Independent (-2), OAF (-1)

default slot Blood drinking: Transfer 2d6 (body to end reserve), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses almost all of its effectiveness (can only suck up what was done by the killing attack(no extra damge done this is just the mover)and only the living; -2)

Healing BODY 2d6, Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; +1) (40 Active Points)

Healing 1 BODY, Can Heal Limbs, Resurrection, Usable By Other (+1/4) (44 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 1/4)

It seems to me that the easiest way to do this would be to make it Fuel Dependent.

X Levels of Regeneration, Fuel Dependent, Blood Of Enemies, Fuel is Common, Must Refuel Once Per Minute, (-2)

You could customise the ability to say that the Sword must refuel every Combat Turn but that it refuels itself automatically when it encounters blood. You could therefore get away with leaving it at (-2).

this is a bastard sword

the mp is linked to the HKA

the transfer can only suck up what the blade did in damage(it does not do any extra damage)

the body is converted to end so 1 body=4 end or 20 if you want to play that way my pref is 4

the mp may be switched to heal the wielder(max at 6 body)

or regen so long as it is in your hand it will heal you and bring you back to life so long as the end reserve has end

you have a max of 25 2d6 heals or 25 pts of regen

you may have to dig your way out if your friends bury you with the sword

this is what I built see if this works of you

Blood Drinker Bastard sword: HKA 2d6-1 (2d6+1 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (37 Active Points); Independent (-2), OAF (-1), Required Hands One-And-A-Half-Handed (-1/4)

Endurance Reserve (100 END, 0 REC) Reserve: (10 Active Points); Independent (-2), OAF (-1)

Blood drinker's powers: Multipower, 45-point reserve, (45 Active Points); all slots Independent (-2), OAF (-1)

default slot Blood drinking: Transfer 2d6 (body to end reserve), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses almost all of its effectiveness (can only suck up what was done by the killing attack(no extra damge done this is just the mover)and only the living; -2)

Healing BODY 2d6, Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; +1) (40 Active Points)

Healing 1 BODY, Can Heal Limbs, Resurrection, Usable By Other (+1/4) (44 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 1/4)

Just so that I get this, when adjustment powers such as aid, transfer, etc. are used on an END Reserve the END Reserve is "filled" like it had just taken a recovery? Thus giving an END Reserve the ability to recharge without REC?

yes it has no REC of it's own so you must fill the reserve with the adjustment power

the recovery would be the amount rolled in character points

so if the transfer was 7 pts

that would be up to 3.5 body so long as the sword got 3.5 body past the target's defenses

so if the target took 4 body from the attack

the transfer would add 14 end to the reserve

this is kinda like absorbtion as a defense in that the absorbtion maxes out at what ever level the defenses are

think of the transfer as straw that needs to be there when the cut is made as it cannot draw out the blood itself

the reserve could be over filled but the over fill will fade away quickly

what is in the reserve should stay

you could also go with an aid on a self resetting trigger to do the same effect and a bit cheaper per die but I felt transfer was more inline with the effect wanted

I did not make it a transfer only effect as the time delay should be at least a month for normal healing

and no stun would be done

Just so that I get this' date=' when adjustment powers such as aid, transfer, etc. are used on an END Reserve the END Reserve is "filled" like it had just taken a recovery? Thus giving an END Reserve the ability to recharge without REC?[/quote']

Scratch my original post. I have a much better idea.

Use Transfer, but only 1D6 (15). Add +10 to the maximum points (for 5pts) for a maximum Transfer of 16pts. Thats 8 body from the opponent and 32 Endurance to the Reserve. Should be more than enough. Of course you want to use Linked and a custom limitation, Transfer cannot exceed Body damage done by the Linked attack (-1/2?). Thats a mere 20 Active Points for that ability. If you don't mind a bit more (30 Active) you could have the Transfer add to both the Endurance Reserve and the HKA of the sword at the same time (+1/2 I believe) that way the sword gets stronger as it draws more blood. (up to +3 to its base Damage Class)

32 Endurance should be more than enough for whatever offensive powers you want it to be able to unleash, even enough for a couple of Autofire abilities.

How about a sword that "tells" its wielder how to defend against magic cast against him and can let him see through illusions' date=' as long as he's wielding the sword?[/quote']

That's a good idea, how would this be written up?

Thanks, KillerShrike.

I had this idea ever since reading Lord Dunsany's "The Fortress Unvanquishable Save For Sacnoth,"

I came up with a sword wielder called Almuric (I know, I know, way too much REH) and the sword was called Tellnar, a big two-handed sword, which of course had elements of Stormbringer, in that it was black and sentient. But it was an actual sword, not a demon in sword form, and not evil.