Mallory and Benfield's Second Hand Emporium (Urban Fantasy)

yamamura

Mallory and Benfield's Second Hand Emporium

In a back alley located within the city there lies a shop run by old man and his undead goth girl (though she may just lack a personality). Within this large shop, one can buy a wide assortment of second hand goods. In fact the store takes up more of building then one would think given its alley door entrance. But the real treasures lies for those who are in the know and know the password, for Mr. Benfield has items that have a bit of magic on them. Of course if you are expecting wands that shoots fireballs, you can all go back to your Harry Potter books. Real magic isn't flashy but subtle as are all of his magical treasures.

Cool Shades aka I wear Sunglasses at Night

These were created so one could look cool while still be protected against attacks that obscure the vision. Even better they actually amplify existing light to give its wear night vision. Price: $300

Cool Shades: (Total: 20 Active Cost, 13 Real Cost) Sight Group Flash Defense (10 points) (10 Active Points); IIF Fragile (-1/2) (Real Cost: 7) plus Nightvision (5 Active Points); IIF Fragile (-1/2) (Real Cost: 3) plus +5 PRE (5 Active Points); IIF Fragile (-1/2) (Real Cost: 3) Final Point Cost: 13

Help Whistle

Who says there is never a cop around when you need one. With one blow on this little baby, a true blue officer of the law is on his way to your aid. Even in the most dismal and abandon of neighborhood, this whistle will get you the help you need. Warning repeated use just to prove that it works will lead to a very aggravated officer. Price: $500

Help Whistle: Summon 100-point Policeman, Friendly (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (35 Active Points); OAF Durable (-1), Arrives Under Own Power (-1/2) Final Point Cost: 14

Assorted Lucky Pieces

Coins, medals, rabbit feet, etc, Mr. Benfield has a wide assortment of items that gives you an edge in combat and help protect against evil magic. Price: $150

Lucky Pieces (Coins/Medals/Rabbit Foot etc): (Total: 17 Active Cost, 9 Real Cost) Armor (3 PD/3 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (11 Active Points); Luck Based (-1/2), IAF (-1/2), Nonpersistent (-1/4) (Real Cost: 5) plus +3 Mental Defense (5 points total) (3 Active Points); IAF (-1/2) (Real Cost: 2) plus Power Defense (3 points) (3 Active Points); IAF (-1/2) (Real Cost: 2) Final Point Cost: 9

The Mirror Don't Lie

Said to be cut from a larger piece, Mr. Benfield has on hand a couple of mirror that allows anyone to see the true form of those reflected in it. Legend has it, the original mirror was created by a paranoid lord who feared shape shifters. Since then his house fell and the mirror was cut up with each piece maintaining the same power as the greater mirror: Price: $50.

The Mirror Don't Lie Compact/Shaving Mirror: Detect True Form 16- (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Range, Sense (22 Active Points); OAF Fragile (-1 1/4) Final Point Cost: 10

That Little Black Dress

This was crafted by a sorceress to give her an edge when dealing with people, this outfit enhances the wearers natural gifts and gives her an edge in her abilities to persuade or to seduce. On the other hand given the variety and number of these outfits known to exist, it is more likely there is a seamstress perhaps one of the fey that is behind the creation of this outfit: Price: $475

That Little Black Dress: (Total: 30 Active Cost, 16 Real Cost) +10 PRE (10 Active Points); Only to make Friendly PRE Attacks (-1), IIF Fragile (-1/2), Women Only and must be able to wear it (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4) plus +5 with Persuasion (10 Active Points); IIF Fragile (-1/2), Women Only and must be able to wear it. (-1/4) (Real Cost: 6) plus +5 with Seduction (10 Active Points); IIF Fragile (-1/2), Women Only and must be able to wear it. (-1/4) (Real Cost: 6) Final Point Cost: 16

The Sharing Cup

This item is one of the most controversial item currently available at Mallory and Benfield. Does it really work or does it just drives most people who drink out of it mad. When two people share a drink from it (wine is traditional but any beverage works) and chant “what is yours is now mine and what is mine is now yours”, they swap bodies and lives. This is a total transformation other then feeling slightly out sort in the new body. This is one of the reasons, it is believe to be a type of madness and not a true swapping of people's souls. The cup takes about 24 hours to be able to be used again. Also the cup is rumored to disappear or gets lost after its use. Benfield actually keeps this one locked up in the vault among some of the more dangerous and/or cursed items. He will sell it though if the buyer is made aware of the problems and will hold no animosity to Mr. Benfield. Price: $825.

The Sharing Cup: Major Transform 10d6 (Switches Person X's soul and Person Y's soul Around, Reusing the Sharing Cup changes you back.), Works Against EGO not BODY (+1/4), Based On EGO Combat Value (Mental Defense applies; +1) (337 Active Points); Side Effect: Both souls get transferred. (-2), 1 Recoverable (24 hour recharge) Charge (-1 1/4), OAF (-1), Limited Target ([Limited]; Humans/Vampires/Werewolves; -1/2), All Or Nothing (-1/2), Too Different personalities causes insanity (See text) (-1/2), Character is fully the other character in both mind and body (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4) Final Point Cost: 45

The Monster Slayer

Finally the pride of Mr. Benfield's weapon selection. This large caliber pistol has minor gift of prophecy to it. When loading the gun, its user will subconsciously load the right type of ammo he will need to be able to fight any range of monsters even if fighting different types of creatures, as long as he has the correct type of ammo in hand. Price: $2500

Monster Slayer: (Total: 84 Active Cost, 29 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6+1, +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4), Variable Special Effects (see text) (Limited (Silver. wood, iron, salt).; +1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (79 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum 13 (-1/2), 9 Charges (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), Character must own bullet type (-1/4) (Real Cost: 24) plus +1 with the Monster Slayer (Real Cost: 5) Final Cost 29

---------

Yes I know the prices are rough and so is the grammar but I haven't had the chance to clean it up yet. As always ideas and criticism are welcome.

Re: Mallory and Benfield's Second Hand Emporium (Urban Fantasy)

for the older rockers in the crowd' date=' wouldnt a blue dress make more sense?[/quote']

Hmm suddenly I have a certain song running through my head:D But yea, I am certain a certain blue dress or something for a lady in red.

heres an idea for another item in the shop

Stroboscopic Kinescope: Kirilian Aura Detector 13- (Unusual Group), Discriminatory; Independent (-2), OAF Fragile (-1 1/4), Custom Modifier (only works on photos or negatives inserted in the viewer; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4)

it looks like one of the old GAF viewmaster toys with the rotary slides

Nice very nice Shadowcat1313. I been thinking about the blue dress and have been pondering ideas to make it slightly different then the little black dress. This is what I have so far for it: Devilish Beauty +5 on to COM and add possessed (haven't worked out the mechanics yet) but basically once put on the subject must win a contest between the demonic entity powering the dress or become possessed until such time the dress is removed. Which reminds me of the dress in the old USA movie I am Dangerous Tonight.

I love the idea, just two questions on the items as written so far.

Why IIF on the glasses? Even the “luck pieces” (rabbit’s foot and such) are IAF. Why would something you can put in your pocket be “Accessible” but something on your face be “Inaccessible”? It’s not really a problem with the build, it just seemed strange to me and I thought you might have a specific reason for making them with IIF.

My other question was with the Sharing Cup. The mechanic is Transform described as switching souls. Then you say “Character is fully the other character in both mind and body”. I’m wondering if/how you are differentiating between “mind” and “soul”. The reason I ask, is most things I’ve seen like this would be X’s mind in Y’s body and vice-versa. If X becomes Y in “mind and body” then are they not just Y in reality? What, if anything, remains of X? Do personality traits travel with the “soul”, and are not counted as part of the “mind”? Just looking for clarification.

I love the idea, just two questions on the items as written so far.

Why IIF on the glasses? Even the “luck pieces” (rabbit’s foot and such) are IAF. Why would something you can put in your pocket be “Accessible” but something on your face be “Inaccessible”? It’s not really a problem with the build, it just seemed strange to me and I thought you might have a specific reason for making them with IIF.

My other question was with the Sharing Cup. The mechanic is Transform described as switching souls. Then you say “Character is fully the other character in both mind and body”. I’m wondering if/how you are differentiating between “mind” and “soul”. The reason I ask, is most things I’ve seen like this would be X’s mind in Y’s body and vice-versa. If X becomes Y in “mind and body” then are they not just Y in reality? What, if anything, remains of X? Do personality traits travel with the “soul”, and are not counted as part of the “mind”? Just looking for clarification.

You are right about the glasses they should be IAF and the luck pieces should be IIF. What can I say. I make mistakes.

Good question on the Sharing cup. I been meaning to get around and clean up the description especially on the the cup. I am going with personality having an influence on the soul. This is the terror of the cup, you could swap a good person (decent personality and soul) into the body of a depraved serial killer (evil memories). Now that person would have to deal with these crimes and memories that he remembers as his own but can not understand why he they are not his and thus insanity is its curse. Does that help? Of course it depends on the meta-physics of your campaign exactly what the soul is and whether or not the sharing cup fits.

Note to self take some time to clean these up (Also I want to add Shadowcat's item and a couple more that I have thought of.