ocv to damage

slikmar

I realize that 2 skill levels made be traded for 1DC, but do any of you GMs allow higher dex characters to transfer OCV for DCs, and how much OCV, the same 2 or more, and do you require the same number of DCVs to be swapped. For example, if i have a 25 dex char in a campaign where the average is 15-18 dex, giving me 8 ocv/dcv vs 5-6 ocv/dcv, can i drop down to a 6 ocv/8 dcv or 6ocv/ 6 dcv to add 1 DC to my damage.

THOUGHTS?

Re: ocv to damage

Originally posted by slikmar

I realize that 2 skill levels made be traded for 1DC, but do any of you GMs allow higher dex characters to transfer OCV for DCs, and how much OCV, the same 2 or more, and do you require the same number of DCVs to be swapped.

Would I allow it? Probably not. I find giving PCs critical hits at half OCV (e.g., opponent requires a 10- to be hit and you roll a 5-) to be enough for me. Alternately, if you can hit well enough that you could "spend" OCV, I'd suggest going for Hit Locations. That will give you somewhat more "realistic" results. Or you can always have extra DCs, only if roll is made by two, or four, and so on. Granted, I'm just uncomfortable with the idea of spending base CV.

Re: Re: ocv to damage

Originally posted by Black Rose

Would I allow it? Probably not. I find giving PCs critical hits at half OCV (e.g., opponent requires a 10- to be hit and you roll a 5-) to be enough for me. Alternately, if you can hit well enough that you could "spend" OCV, I'd suggest going for Hit Locations. That will give you somewhat more "realistic" results. Or you can always have extra DCs, only if roll is made by two, or four, and so on. Granted, I'm just uncomfortable with the idea of spending base CV.

I agree with that - if a character has a high OCV that just allows him to hit more accurately - i.e. aiming shots for particular locations, he should do more damage that way (or use the critical-hit options). Your idea also sounds like a martial attack maneuver - take an OCV penalty for extra DC. Why have maneuvers if you can just trade in OCV points? I haven't played that way in the past and probably won't in the future.

That said - I don't think the option is an unreasonable one - I've never played that way so I can't say how that might affect things. I wouldn't allow it if you have skill levels or maneuvers that do the same thing though. Just my thoughts.

Guest Keneton

With sweeps and hit locations, the game is offensive enough. Avoid critical hit rules and bleeding. Impairing and disabling wounds are appropriate.

I would never allow the straight trade of OCV for damage. This leads to SWITCHING. I write about this in DH #3. Very bad idea in practice.

Good thread topic although!

:)

The ability to switch OCV for damage will likely come home to roost when you run a large creature. "Oh, the Dragon's size makes him DCV -3, does it? I'll swap OCV down to 0 for extra damage - I'll still hit on a 14-! Depending on the weapon, that may not be viable, assuming you're still capping DC at double, but they can still add 1 BOD, making higher damage much more likely.

DEX provides other advantages. Let the characters pay for levels, and not have the advantages DEX carries, if they want the ability to swap out for damage. Besides, OCV already grants a "damage enhancement" ability - you can target a more vulnerable part of your opponent (even the "high shot" gives a decent chance at a head shot for -4 OCV).

I would agree that, if you let them swap off OCV, they have to lose equal DCV - that would make this a riskier tactic against big tough creatures.

Guest Keneton

I know it IS FUN!. I will admit liking the dramatic feel of bleeding as well. But. . . Run a big dungeon crawl full of encounters and see how you feel!

If this is your style, to each his own. Fun is the main thing.

:)

I would not let players trade raw OCV out for extra damage: as pointed out, high CV characters can target hit locations instead if they want.

The reason I would say no is that DEX is already a pretty good buy compared to levels. The one thing levels have going for them is flexibility. To allow DEX to be used to increase damage just makes DEX even more "must-buy" which I think is a bad idea.

cheers, Mark

There's a pretty standard game-balance guideline that the more damage a character dishes, the lower his OCV should be. But this suggestion lets high DEX characters have it both ways. While that could work in certain situations, such as low-powered games where the distribution of DEX and STR is not that wide, for my taste it upsets that basic game balance a little too much. Like others, I use Hit Locations for this purpose.

-AA

Originally posted by Markdoc

I would not let players trade raw OCV out for extra damage: as pointed out, high CV characters can target hit locations instead if they want.

The reason I would say no is that DEX is already a pretty good buy compared to levels. The one thing levels have going for them is flexibility. To allow DEX to be used to increase damage just makes DEX even more "must-buy" which I think is a bad idea.

cheers, Mark

Exactly, I agree fully with this.