Oriental Dwarf Martial arts

Ninja-Bear

Hello herodom, as the title suggests, I'm looking at ideas for a martial art style that would befit oriental dwarfs. The two different concepts I'm looking at are:

1) A westren style-such as shield and axe. This can show that the dwarfs are oringinally from a "medieval" westren land.

2) Completely Eastren style-such as naginata and sickle with chains (don't have UMA handy at the moment.

I am open of course to any other suggestions-perhaps a blending? Also, just armed? perhaps unarmed?

Thanks in advance for any all options. :)

Re: Oriental Dwarf Martial arts

I kind of like the idea of a "hard" martial art for these stumpy little guys: the image of a dwarf with a bald head, long droopy mustache and chains wrapped around his wrists and fists appeals :)

With that in mind, I'd suggest a mostly unarmed art based on kicks, punches and takedowns of various sorts (a hard style of Kung Fu, like Bear would be a good start for maneuvers) combined with weapons. No shields (get in the way) but battleaxes and the sort of heavy chopping swords you see in some styles of Kung Fu (both wielded one or two-handed).

That way you get both things - the battleaxe hints that long ago they came from the west. The Kung Fu approach is more oriental and differentiates them from their western cousins. Blend "traditional" RPG dwarven reverence for the ancestors with Confucianism and you have the basis for your "Asian Dwaven" culture :D

cheers, Mark

Hill Dwarf under Options, look at Dwarven War Art: (Weapon Art) for a traditional Axe type style. (related: Dwarf Race Packages)

Pugilist Package Deals has a lot of striking oriented packages.

Here is a Dwarf character from my San'Dora campaign who practices a Dwarven War Art = Arganat (Dwarves are called Var in San'Dora).

This document has a lot of info on doing fantasy styled martial arts: Monks

Order of the Closed Fist is a mercenary / monastic brotherhood organization from San'Dora. It's a human oriented group in my setting, but the style is very "hard", and could be used as is for a Dwarven fighting order with just a little relabeling.

I think the sickle and chain weapon sounds the most interesting. Naginatas may be good for overcoming the disadvantages of short stature but that same lack of height will make the more impressive spear-stunts quite difficult. Unless they incorporate a lot of pole vaulting into their attacks, perhaps a double-bladed spear would work.

A chain weapon on the other hand can swing and slash around a master while he stays calmly rooted to the spot. Also good for dealing with range issues and sweeping the legs out from under arrogant tall-folk, (literally cutting them down to size).

D&D did adapt a race from Ainu mythology for their oriental dwarves and you might want to look at the source material for them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koro-pok-guru

Their agility and low level of technology would suggest unarmed martial arts. But perhaps they interbred with Western Dwarves who taught them to fight with axes. The hybrid art that emerged would rely on speed and agility to avoid attacks followed up by blistering ripostes from the axe.

It could be called Pha-Q, and consist of lot's of head-butting and kicking people while their on the ground.

Credit really would go to Mike Myers, in "So I Married An Axe Murderer" (1993), in reference to a Scottish martial art.

I'd shy away from strikes (kicks' date=' punches) considering their shorter reach, and favor grapples and other "Let's wrastle!" type of maneuvers.[/quote']

Come on Lucha Hero: Steve said that was chuck full of maneuvers.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions. And to clarify, I am using the Korrobukui as a basis.

Badger Style - Was developed in antiquity when the korrobuki were still tunneling in the mines of the west. The style is based on grappling. Because of the narrow confines of mines, such as close walls or steep ledges, the practioner does not want, or cannot move about as other styles. The style as is practiced today is becoming rarer due to its nature. But, it is not unknown for the korrobuki to participate in ssireum (korean sumo) matches, and do well. The style does teach basic weapon use for its tunneling roots.

Badger Style - Barehanded Element is free

pts Manuever OCV DCV Effect

5 Flying Grab -2 -1 Grab 2 limbs; +10 STR

Fmove

5 Grappling Block +1 +1 Grab 1 limb; Block

5 Disarming Throw 0 0 Grab weapon; +5 STR;

Target Falls

3 Basic Strike +1 0 STR+2D6

3 Grappling Throw 0 +2 STR+2D6; Target Falls;

Must Follow Grab

Skills

Breakfall