Adding Power Defence to Entangle

MistWing

Re: Adding Power Defence to Entangle

Interesting idea...clearly it is not as useful as having it yourself, and, I'd suggest, even 'linking' doesn't provide enough of a limitation.

TECHNICALLY you should probably buy power defence, UBO as the entangle is not part of you. That is patently ridiculous though.

I'd say you buy the power defence you want and use a custom limitation: only to provide defence for entangles, which I'd pitch at at -2 depending on how common Body drains are. For comparison, if you bought 'summon' and added power defence to a creature you summon, each 1 point you spend gets you 5 power defence (which is the equivalent of a -4 limitation!). Not a direct comparison, obviously, but close enough for government work.

Again, technically, power defence being persistent, it would finish if you died. I'd completely ignore that though. It is attached to the entangle so it finishes if that 'dies'.

Are you wanting to use the Entangle to form barriers or just to encase and protect individual targets?

If it's the former then a Force Wall with the Uncontrolled Advantage (or Continuing Charges) would allow the purchase of Power Defense as part of the main build.

Sure you can drain defense (acid) or body (some sort of weakening power) on an entangle. Gonna be rare, but it is conceivable. I'd suggest Sean's solution, and am really hoping that Power Defense is rebuilt in 6th edition so it's not the catch-all defense of doom like it is now. 1 point/defense protects from EVERYTHING no matter what the special effect!

Sure you can drain defense (acid) or body (some sort of weakening power) on an entangle. Gonna be rare' date=' but it is conceivable. I'd suggest Sean's solution, and am really hoping that Power Defense is rebuilt in 6th edition so it's not the catch-all defense of doom like it is now. 1 point/defense protects from EVERYTHING no matter what the special effect![/quote']

One could say the same thing about Energy Defense...

Yeah but in my opinion energy defense is a lot more reasonable and defensible than power defense is. Think of all the constructs you can build based on power defense and consider if every one of those concepts, special effects, and builds should be stopped by exactly the same 1 point/defense power.

I don't know... Power Defense is something of a catch-all against a wide variety of attacks, but the basic SFX reads to me as "my body resists being changed." Also, despite its cheapness it tends to be bought to much lower levels than the other defenses; most published characters don't possess it at all, and the couple I recall seeing with 20 points of it were gods.

Why are you guys calling power Def. a catch all Def? :confused: I was always under the impression that Power Def. only protected against attacks like Drains and Transforms... fairly exotic attacks. Not a catch all defense at all. If I shoot you with an Energy Blast Power Defense 7,000,000 wouldn't protect you from it at all.

I'll grant you it does protect against almost all the unusual attacks, but most strait forward attacks ignore it.

Why are you guys calling power Def. a catch all Def? :confused: I was always under the impression that Power Def. only protected against attacks like Drains and Transforms... fairly exotic attacks. Not a catch all defense at all. If I shoot you with an Energy Blast Power Defense 7,000,000 wouldn't protect you from it at all.

I'll grant you it does protect against almost all the unusual attacks, but most strait forward attacks ignore it.

I think that what is meant by that is this:

A drain v DEX couls have electricity sfx, or poison sfx, or cold sfx, or time-slow sfx, or anything, really. How can one defence be defined to make sense to defend against any of those sfx? Mechanically it is not a problem - it just doesn't make sense - it catches all.

Compare Energy Defence - sure there are a lot of potential sfx, but really they all work th esame way - the defence insulates against energy - just like a thermos can keep liquids hot or cold - it works against any energy. Power Defence just has too many sfx to cope with to have a single sfx to cope with them all.

Basing it on the current costs for defenses and Entangle, I calculate that Power Defense for an Entangle should cost about 1.5 points per (actually 1.667), or to be really accurate, 5 points per 3 Power Defense.

My reasoning is this:

DEF for an Entangle costs 5 points each.

DEF is essentially 1 PD and 1 ED, both Resistant.

For a character, 1 rPD + 1 rED would cost 3 points.

For a character, 1 Power Defense would cost 1 point.

Therefore, for a character, 1 Power Defense costs 1/3 of 1 "DEF".

So for Entangle, 1 Power Defense should cost 1/3 of 1 DEF.

1/3 of 5 is 1.667.

(And yes, "third of five" is also known as "Hugh".)