What type of villian scares you the most??

Stone

I'd have to say...

I'd go with calculating, clear-thinking killers. Any superhero can deal with a supercriminal with an obvious RKA or HKA. A gun? Destroy it or take it away. A knife, sword, razor-sharp noodle? Likewise. However, take your methodical nutball who takes time to stalk a hero, leaves little messages, find the heroes weakness (whether physical, mental or relational), and you've suddenly got a very motivated hero trying to find the killer before they find you.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention: GM, prepare to have your villain lose his teeth once the hero finds him. :)

monstrosities i have encountered while playing champions:

1--fairly heavy duty entangles that block the senses;

2--entangles based on ego;

3--hefty area effect nnd's versus life support;

4--martial artists with absurdly high combat values and double AP/penetrating HKA's;

5--a 600pt archmage/vampirelord;

6--doorways crisscrossed with electrified (effects desolid) monofilament fibers....

The first to pop into mind would be Psiona, created by our GM as a 100pt EC mentalist. What makes her feasome is that she leads P.S.I. in this game and is stunningly smart in the way that really matters. IE, she's extremely effective and very good with complicated multi tier plots that converge and you never saw it coming.

But the opponent that really scared us in an entirely different (we arent playing if shes in it) way was another GM creation. I dont know what it was about this woman, she had a decent damage over time attack, acid or something, and good aim with it. But we could not defeat her. We never came close. All our fights with her were remote areas, like a pond in the middle of a farm field a thousand miles from anywhere so it was just us and her. Our brick almost drowned that particular fight, it was so bad.

When that GM tries to give the story a moody feel to it that always helps make the opponent more feared. Moreso to me than just the guyy built on more points than you its what they do, how they do it. How they say it.

Most feared villain was the one that is all too common in real life and almost never seen in the comics....the plotter.

The villain who has no intention of fighting you, or confronting you, or even taunting you, but only in accomplishing his own goals (and eliminating you if you are a hindrance).

When we played Villians and Vigilantes we KNEW that all of the bad guys we fought were somehow (either obviously or secretly) controlled or manipulated by one man, but we had no idea who he was, or what he wanted, or why we were in the way. A group of us fought his minions and defeated them for four years before finally finding out who the mastermind was.

Man, that was a scary villian. Who could you trust with your secret identity? When would he strike? How could you stop him if you didn't know who he was?

Uncertainty drives players nuts*. Fortunately, we got a lot of satisfaction out of laying out his minions each week, so that was OK.

*This is why I'm a big fan of ONLY writing up the minions and not the mastermind. Let his capabilities be determined by your desires (and your players' desires) during play.

Re: I'd have to say...

Originally posted by Tech

I'd go with calculating, clear-thinking killers. Any superhero can deal with a supercriminal with an obvious RKA or HKA. A gun? Destroy it or take it away. A knife, sword, razor-sharp noodle? Likewise. However, take your methodical nutball who takes time to stalk a hero, leaves little messages, find the heroes weakness (whether physical, mental or relational), and you've suddenly got a very motivated hero trying to find the killer before they find you.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention: GM, prepare to have your villain lose his teeth once the hero finds him. :)

You know, between this and the paranoia about mentalists, this all reminds me of the level of menace displayed by Manchester Black in the recent 'Ending Battle' plot in the Superman comics. Now Black was nasty and smart -- using his mental powers to discover Supes' every secret and then boradcasting it to every villain in the world.

Dunno about type, but the Joker from DC gets my vote as the most frightening villian of all time. Psychotic and Sociopathic, with a dollop of Violent Killer and just a hint of Genius.

Then follow that up with Harly Quin. That girl's got more issues than HE does...

The Fool

"You know, I just hate it when someone doesn't get the joke!"

Originally posted by Klytus

Not just the mentalist with lots of ego powers, but the one who works through proxies and mind controlled agaents so you don't even know who the ultimate badguy is!

So, of course, I have one in my universe :D

Well, yeah, that's part of being a GM, that which spooks us, we're going to use to our own advantage *EG*