IAF for concealed

Now if I'm reading IAF correctly, it is used for hiding a weapon, but when the weapon is used, it can be apparent. I.e. sword in the cane. The cane is OAF whereas the sword blade is IAF, but when you draw it out, the power is obvious. I'm double cdhecking because I'm going to give a character of mine a high-tech shield whereas it is folded up on his gauntlet (hence the IAF) until needed. P.S. I got the inspirarion of this from seeing the Golden Knight do this.

Actually wouldn't it be IIF instead (typically you don't see gauntlets taken off in battle.)

Re: IAF for concealed

Now if I'm reading IAF correctly, it is used for hiding a weapon, but when the weapon is used, it can be apparent. I.e. sword in the cane. The cane is OAF whereas the sword blade is IAF, but when you draw it out, the power is obvious. I'm double cdhecking because I'm going to give a character of mine a high-tech shield whereas it is folded up on his gauntlet (hence the IAF) until needed. P.S. I got the inspirarion of this from seeing the Golden Knight do this.

Actually wouldn't it be IIF instead (typically you don't see gauntlets taken off in battle.)

ok IAF in obvious accessible focus is not so much for hidden as wait you need what? ok folded the shield would be iif out it would be oif

iaf is used for things like "I shoot lazers out of my eyes so long as i have my staff" now the fact that you're holding a stick doesn't seem to have anything to do with the lazers but someone might just grab the stick and then oops no more lazers.

I think one of the classic Champions Universe villains - Howler, has all of her 'sonic' powers built with the IAF Limitation (a necklace). When using her powers it they appear to be 'natural' to her, the necklace just appears to be jewelry.

I don't think so. The sword blade is OAF if you can see it when it's in use. It's always OAF; popping it out of the cane is just power activation. If you had a sword that you could teleport into your hand as needed, it would still be OAF if, once you had it in your hand, it was obviously the source of the powers (Obvious), and it could be targeted and restrained (Accessible).

The sfx you described sounds like OIF to me. When he's using the shield, it's Obvious, but I'm guessing it's effectively impossible to take out of his hands (Inaccessible). It might be OIF and Restrainable, if you can't take it from his hands, but an entangle or grab will make it ineffective (i.e., he can't defend himself with his shield when handcuffed). When it's folded up, it's just an OIF power that isn't currently activated.

I agree with most of what others have said here. Whether or not a focus is Obvious or Inobvious is based on whether or not it is apparent that the power is produced by the focus. When the focus is not in use almost anything can be concealed. For example a pistol is an OAF, but you can easily carry it in a concealed holster and no one is aware of it until you draw it. The gun is not obvious when concealed but it still counts as an OAF.

If the source of the power is obviously the focus when the power is in use, then it is obvious. It does not have to be obvious when not in use. It is just a mechanism that allows an opponent to target the focus. That is my understanding.

A shield may well be inaccessible, in that it can not be taken away in combat, but it might also be restrainable, in that it can be neutralised by something other than damage or dispel in combat. I would generally make a shield OIF, even if it is concealed until it is used, and assume that incorporates some restrainability.

I've worried over this one before: there ought o be a +3/4 level for something that is a focus that is obvious, and can not be taken away but can be restrained.