Crossroads: Urban Fantasy HERO Indianapolis

Jkeown

What changes in Urban Fantasy? I think that an event like the return of magic to a world would rock civilization to its core for several years. It would challenge our preconceived notions of religion, science and our perception of ourselves.

So what does it mean to be Black, White, Hispanic or Asian, when there are now Orcs working at your bank? Do "Normal" humans band together in supportive and/or hate groups against these newcomers? I think they do. I'd imagine that the hate groups that form would make the worst of Stormfront look like Mr. Rogers.

All of our Creation Myths would all have to be rewritten. From there, you could go on to question any other portion of those resulting religions. I don't think Westboro Baptist would appreciate worshippers of Elven gods requesting Constitutional protection of their rights. Not to mention that these alien gods might be capable of granting spells to their followers. You'd have some humans going over to these cults, tossing away the subjective religions of our world for the demonstrative proof of the new faiths. (which, if they have granted spells, isn't faith per se...)

When society recovers, we'd probably be more split than we are now. Conservatives would become more insular, and liberals would be celebrating the diversity like never before, trusting perhaps in things best left in darkness. Some folks would switch sides, I imagine.

What's the big deal with Marijuana when my spell book contains half a dozen Aids, Detects and Drains that make you higher than any earthly substance abuse ever could?

These are the things I'll be exploring in this thread as I write my Player's Guide for my summer UFH game. Come along if you like!

Re: Crossroads: Urban Fantasy HERO Indianapolis

The "magical crimes" division, either part of the police department or a separate organization, is a staple of UF literature. How does humanity deal with crimes committed by a criminal that might not even have to be on location? Forensic science is useless when the unsub is using a ritual to remove the victim's heart from his chest 50 miles away. How long will it be before the government requires anyone with the ability to use magic to be licensed, or outlaws magic entirely?

The "magical crimes" division' date=' either part of the police department or a separate organization, is a staple of UF literature. How does humanity deal with crimes committed by a criminal that might not even have to be on location? Forensic science is useless when the unsub is using a ritual to remove the victim's heart from his chest 50 miles away. How long will it be before the government requires anyone with the ability to use magic to be licensed, or outlaws magic entirely?[/quote']

"While there are no easy answers to the question of magical crime. We can assure the good people of Indianapolis that the new IPD/M division is training with highly-qualified instructors at the Crossroads Academy Thaumaturgical Forensics Department (CATF). Perpetrators of magical crimes must be brought to justice, but rights must be preserved. We must, in the same breath, ensure the safety of the population against magical intrusion, defend the use of magic for beneficial purposes, such as healing and public works, and respect the rights of individuals, ghosts and various Otherworldly Demiurges to their own privacy.

"How does that sound?" asked Erin.

Telonian smiled his crooked elven grin back at her. "Like you're running for re-election."

-------------------

Public Safety

Reality is a bit harsher than the Good Mayor would imply. Magical crimes of any sort are rigorously investigated by full-blown Forensic Scientists, mages themselves, adept at tracking signatures left by ethically-challenged wizards of all types. The Crossroads Academy has been turning out highly-skilled investigators for a few years now. They may one day catch up to the criminally-minded mages out there.

Using magic in a crime (defined under IC 35-41-1-49.5 as "any act involving the use of extradimensional energy sources, channelled via mystic ritual or device, fetish, charm or focus"), whether resulting in death or not, upgrades the charge from a misdemeanor to a felony, regardless of other circumstances.

A number of spells are handled as Controlled Substances, for their intoxicating effects, while Mind Control is strictly illegal in all cases. IC 35-42-3-2 deals with kidnapping and confinement. Mind Control has been part of this part of the Indiana Code for almost 10 years (as of 2017).

In an RPG, you set the tone of players' behavior when you define laws. PCs will do almost anything to complete the missions laid before them. So if magic is illegal, I gaurantee you will be running games for a bunch of felons.

The Politics of Magic

I figure that society, as I mentioned previous, will become both more insular and more liberal. In the 8 years I'm moving my timeline forward from our current date, I find that defining society's goals and ethics to be a bit of a challenge. I really do believe that the discovery or recurrence of magic will result in conservative attempts at control and liberal attempts at employment for a multitude of causes. Liberals will try to open society up to the use of magic in areas like public health, the environment, scientific pursuits and the welfare of the homeless. Conservatives will leverage this power more openly for profit, in areas like the military and homeland defense (and rightly so). Both groups will employ less-than-savory methods, including public awareness programs, class warfare, and political agendas, all guided by primitive memetic formulas.

Special interest groups on both sides will look out for their own security, dovetailing specific purposes into the goals of their particular crowd. The ACLU plays a large role in CrossRoads, jumping to the defense of anyone using magic, lest it be outlawed across the board.

I am sure that there will be hate groups esp for the Supernaturals that cannot pass as humans or those considered "monsters" (ie Vampires, and Lycanthropes (werewolves).

I don't think that KKKers will suddenly start loving non-whites. They will still have their old hatreds and new ones on top of the old ones.

Good to see you back.

Going to be running games at the Arsenal again?

So, what's the story behind this game - sounds like Shadowrun? i.e. people turn into Goblins and Elves, dragons show up, spells start working....

Lucius Alexander

Summon Palindromedary

Good to see you back.

Going to be running games at the Arsenal again?

So, what's the story behind this game - sounds like Shadowrun? i.e. people turn into Goblins and Elves, dragons show up, spells start working....

Lucius Alexander

Summon Palindromedary

If I start running in public again, I'll let ya know... you were fun to game with...

Actually, the fantasy elements are invasive. They are coming from "outside" whereever that turns out to be. Uncovering that detail is one of the plot points of the campaign... I might try and get you involved heavily... you being local and all....

If I start running in public again, I'll let ya know... you were fun to game with...

Actually, the fantasy elements are invasive. They are coming from "outside" whereever that turns out to be. Uncovering that detail is one of the plot points of the campaign... I might try and get you involved heavily... you being local and all....

Knowing where the bodies were supposed to stay buried...

Lucius Alexander

Why did the palindromedary cross the road?

Most Urban Fantasy doesn't deal with the return of magic. The popular UF fictions all deal with magic (or whatever other fantasty element) having always been there, but not being know to the public at large.

Most Urban Fantasy doesn't deal with the return of magic. The popular UF fictions all deal with magic (or whatever other fantasty element) having always been there' date=' but not being know to the public at large.[/quote']

Or that magic has always existed and been known, and been part of the social "scenery" since way, way back.

Magic suddenly "popping into existence" is very much in the Shadowrun mold.

I don't deny a basic similarity to Shadowrun. But rather than normal humans suddenly going all gobliny, you have folks arriving from somewhere. It plays on the whole idea of the rights of refugees, "Strangers in a Strange Land" and how Humanity reacts to their myths suddenly being facts. There are layers to this thing, if run properly. I'm not sure I can convey the depth here or at the table.

I mean, I can crow all I like about depth, but if the PCs just wanna burn goblins out of the ruins of the Athenaeum, how will it ever be taken in by those players.

GM: The protesters are against voting rights for Ghosts... They demand a referendum on...

Player: Yes, yes... but do they bleed?

GM: What? These folks are just standing up for what they believe in!

Player: Uh-huh.. and now they'll fall down for it, too...