Your favorite Terran Empire race

Hermit

Since this question was once asked of the Star Frontiers setting, and since I actually have had time to read this most excellent book myself- I thought I'd ask what race(s) in the Terran Empire setting is your favorite?

I've been looking at them for a bit now. I'm not sure I could pick just one. Here are three that stick out for me...

I like the Osathri, they seem rather handicapped in play... but I can't help but feel for their plight. You could get a lot of drama for either a loyalist or a discontent. Fish with attitude.

The Fassai with their 'hundred houses' strike me as something a player or GM could tailor easily, while still maintianing a common thread. The look is a bit too Klingon in parts (And the Perseid suffer from the same problem some what) but it's a minor gripe.

For some reason, I like the Mondabi (And Kolajik), but for the life of me I can't be sure why. I think maybe I saw the original "Land of the Lost" one too many times as a kid :)

Anyone else finding favorites yet?

And, I confess this list might change for me as time goes on and I give more of them a run.

Re: Your favorite Terran Empire race

Originally posted by Hermit

I like the Osathri, they seem rather handicapped in play... but I can't help but feel for their plight. You could get a lot of drama for either a loyalist or a discontent. Fish with attitude.

I like the Osathri too which paradoxically caused me to have the Terran Empire drop a large, heavy metal meteor onto their world.

This was devastating pon initial impact and proceeded to make a large amount of their ocean uninhabitable do to heavy metal poisoning. Large numbers of Osathri were forced to flee their home world and become refugees on other worlds. Thus giving me as a GM more opportunities to use them in my campaign - something that was hard back when they were stay at home types.

The lesson of this story is, of course, that it is not always a good thing when the GM likes you.

Re: Re: Your favorite Terran Empire race

Originally posted by Ranxerox

I like the Osathri too which paradoxically caused me to have the Terran Empire drop a large, heavy metal meteor onto their world.

This was devastating pon initial impact and proceeded to make a large amount of their ocean uninhabitable do to heavy metal poisoning. Large numbers of Osathri were forced to flee their home world and become refugees on other worlds. Thus giving me as a GM more opportunities to use them in my campaign - something that was hard back when they were stay at home types.

The lesson of this story is, of course, that it is not always a good thing when the GM likes you.

I have to admit, I like the Mon'Dabi simply because they are the only race I got to design. BTW, seeing other people draw takes on what you've done is really, really weird. I think Andrew did a much better job with the skin texture than I did.

I also like the Osathri because I like aliens who are really alien. When doing sci fi, I never design "lumpy forehead guys" as my wife calls them. I did an illustration for an Osathri senator that has not yet seen print. Too bad, because I really liked the lighting.

Keith "I can't wait to see who is prominent during "Alien Wars" Curtis

I can't wait to see who is prominent during "Alien Wars

I can end some of the suspense. ;)

Mostly the book concentrates on Humans, since Military SF-type stories generally seem to do the same. I am going to include a few new alien species from planets close to Earth -- probably the Rigellians and Denebians, at least, since it's no fun to have a Space Opera setting without Rigellians and Denebians ;) -- but beyond that I'm not sure how many. Allen's already taking up enough page space with crucial stuff like ships and Xenovore culture. ;)

Re: Re: Your favorite Terran Empire race

Originally posted by Ranxerox

No kidding :D

Well, I figured once the revolution started up, a few rebellious normally stay at home Osathri would "take it to the enemy" and go into outter space more often.

Keith, you got to design the Mon'Dabi? Tres Excellent. :)

Re: Re: Re: Your favorite Terran Empire race

No kidding :D

Well, I figured once the revolution started up, a few rebellious normally stay at home Osathri would "take it to the enemy" and go into outter space more often.

Keith, you got to design the Mon'Dabi? Tres Excellent. :)

Well, I drew them from the write up. I drew two, Segaro from the Argos crew and another one, a villain, who is still unpublished. Thanks, though.

Keith "uhh... I can't think of anything to say here" Curtis

Does anyone know if any of the races are going to be explored in much more depth officially? If so, which ones?

The Xenovores will be expanded in Alien Wars; other than that, Steve has said that there are no current plans to give any alien species further exploration (though I have been trying to get him to let me do a book about the Mon'dabi). ;)

Originally posted by BobGreenwade

The Xenovores will be expanded in Alien Wars; other than that, Steve has said that there are no current plans to give any alien species further exploration (though I have been trying to get him to let me do a book about the Mon'dabi). ;)

If that doesn't work, perhaps you could try to flesh them out in Digital Hero?

If that doesn't work, perhaps you could try to flesh them out in Digital Hero?

I'd be willing. I'll wait at least for Steve to announce the 2005 production schedule before I do anything toward publication; I'm also waiting to get Worlds Of Empire in my hands before finalizing anything.

A handful of Mon'dabi weapons and such can be found in the Spacer's Toolkit Online, though. :)