UNITY Unlimited

Peregrine

Inspired by both recent thread necromancy and my own viewing of the entire animated Justice League series, I considered the implications, etc. of the establishment of a JLU-style superteam in the CU; that is, a single superteam comprising the near-unanimity of the world's superheroes.

In my contemplations, it occurred to me that the catalyst for such a superteam already exists in the CU: UNITY. Here are the necessary changes:

1. Move their HQ from NYC to UNTIL's GATEWAY space station.

2. Given the reluctance of the General Assembly to fund additional teams (CU, p. 137), UNTIL performs an administrative maneuver and decides to expand the single team to include an indefinite number of members. In keeping with existing UNTIL policy (ibid), no more than eight members will be assigned to a given mission except for extraordinary circumstances.

3. UNITY starts recruiting other superheroes, starting with those who already have UNTIL sanction, or other official relationships with UNTIL, and expanding out from there.

And that's where my thoughts end at current.

Re: UNITY Unlimited

I think it can. GATEWAY stands in for the Watchtower very easily. UNTIL's de facto role as Earth's guardian against extraterrestrial threats (which may be the product of my own fevered imagination rather than anything in print) matches the animated Justice League's self-appointed role perfectly. UNTIL also provides that support staff the JLU had for themselves.

Riot (fka Nemesis6), Agent of UNTIL

UNITY by Cardinal

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70110

UNITY vs Your Super Team

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13159

UNITY 2010: A New Champions Campaign

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27202

Hmmm...

QM

Another thought that came to mind: there is a major group of supers that absolutely would not join - Tiger Squad. Since China still refuses to allow UNTIL to operate in their territory, there's no way any members of Tiger Squad will be in UNITY Unlimited short of a political defection. Which sets up an interesting rivalry...

the best part of JLU was that week's guest stars. Perhaps, to handle things completely different then a regular campaign, the GM would run the big 5 members and the players would get different guest stars to run each adventure. They could even build a few of their own to add to the team. The highlight, though, would be that eventually they'd get to play all the heroes in the CU at some point.

Pete

the best part of JLU was that week's guest stars. Perhaps, to handle things completely different then a regular campaign, the GM would run the big 5 members and the players would get different guest stars to run each adventure. They could even build a few of their own to add to the team. The highlight, though, would be that eventually they'd get to play all the heroes in the CU at some point.

Pete

Treating UNITY's "big 5" as NPCs works quite nicely. I'd recommend dropping the "one of the founders leads any given mission team" to keep those NPCs from overshadowing the PCs.

UNTIL UNITY: Original Team

Quasar - Mutate Cosmic Energy Projector, Flyer, & Telekinetic. (630pts.)

Mentiac (Brainiac w/ Big Head) - Mutant Super Genius, Inventor, & Gadgeteer. (570pts.)

El Picaro (Nightcrawler Homage) - Mutant Teleporter & Weapon Master (471pts.)

Dr. Black & Dr. White - Mutate Mystic Masters of Magic (418pts.)

Myrmidon (Greek Demi-God of War) - Mystic Mutate Brick & Weapon Master (430pts.)

Cheers

QM

Inspired by both recent thread necromancy and my own viewing of the entire animated Justice League series, I considered the implications, etc. of the establishment of a JLU-style superteam in the CU; that is, a single superteam comprising the near-unanimity of the world's superheroes.

In my contemplations, it occurred to me that the catalyst for such a superteam already exists in the CU: UNITY. Here are the necessary changes:

1. Move their HQ from NYC to UNTIL's GATEWAY space station.

2. Given the reluctance of the General Assembly to fund additional teams (CU, p. 137), UNTIL performs an administrative maneuver and decides to expand the single team to include an indefinite number of members. In keeping with existing UNTIL policy (ibid), no more than eight members will be assigned to a given mission except for extraordinary circumstances.

3. UNITY starts recruiting other superheroes, starting with those who already have UNTIL sanction, or other official relationships with UNTIL, and expanding out from there.

And that's where my thoughts end at current.

the reptonfa has swung excelent pergerine you did it again

UNTIL UNITY: Original Team

Quasar - Mutate Cosmic Energy Projector, Flyer, & Telekinetic. (630pts.)

Mentiac (Brainiac w/ Big Head) - Mutant Super Genius, Inventor, & Gadgeteer. (570pts.)

El Picaro (Nightcrawler Homage) - Mutant Teleporter & Weapon Master (471pts.)

Dr. Black & Dr. White - Mutate Mystic Masters of Magic (418pts.)

Myrmidon (Greek Demi-God of War) - Mystic Mutate Brick & Weapon Master (430pts.)

Cheers

QM

As of CU:NotW, Mentiac has semi-retired and left the team. He's still working for UNTIL, just in more of a operations management capacity (think Data from Star Trek).

As of CU:NotW' date=' Mentiac has semi-retired and left the team. He's still working for UNTIL, just in more of a operations management capacity (think Data from Star Trek).[/quote']

Which is, frankly, what he should have been doing from the getgo. The guy is not exactly field-capable.

Which is' date=' frankly, what he should have been doing from the getgo. The guy is not exactly field-capable.[/quote']

Yeah. Not all super powers are super combat powers.

OTOH, there is now some concern that UNTIL is becoming too dependent on him - single point of failure and all that.

So then would primes be the champion universe version of project cadmus?

Not. Even. :)

(Oh, I suppose you could play them that way. But "evil PRIMUS" is so cliched by now, I question the creativity of anyone who invokes it. Seriously.

Besides, what you are looking for is called Department 17...)

I factor in PRIMUS as a separate faction much like The Tiger Squad in that they are not a part of UNTIL in any way and they establish their jurisdiction within US borders.

The only difference that I make is that PRIMUS is more willing to work with UNITY/UNTIL, since many of the US's heroes are in it as-is.

Another thing that I do in my campaign is expand upon supervillain teams and organizations.

Just as JLU had its Legion of Doom, many teams, orgs, and master villains recruit new villains in response to UNITY.

Following the Battle of Detroit the Citizens of the United States responded badly to the Media reports that UNTIL was prevented from aiding them by UN Treaty and PRIMUS.

When the Media revealed that UNTIL's Project Shiva was Armed and Equipped to take on Doctor Destroyer they were outraged. The US Government finally signed the UNTIL Charter called the PRIMUS Treaty, but with the stipulations. One being only PRIMUS could authorize UNTIL Intervention on US soil.

IIRC.

QM

Well, the PRIMUS Treaty that I refer to is my own creation. Think of the following analogy:

PRIMUS:UNTIL::NATO:UN

The chief exception being that PRIMUS is not attached to or associated with NATO under the PRIMUS Treaty, but remains a separate entity.

I have the rest of details in mind, but I don't as yet have them in textual form.