Not good enough

Lord Mhoram

Re: Not good enough

My computer that is. My machine hasn't got the power to run the thing at minimum specs.

So I guess I just hope the console (360) version is decent, and woks.

*sigh*

My computer woks. It's really good for stir-fry dinners. But, like yours, it's not good enough for the PC version of the game... so I'm hoping I can upgrade before too long.

Being as my computer resources are nowhere close to running this game (just accessing the graphics-and-features-intensive Cryptic website locks it up from time to time), and that I haven't the money to expand them in the foreseeable future, I'm grateful that I have no interest in MMOs in general.

Being as my computer resources are nowhere close to running this game (just accessing the graphics-and-features-intensive Cryptic website locks it up from time to time)' date=' and that I haven't the money to expand them in the foreseeable future, I'm grateful that I have no interest in MMOs in general.[/quote']

Yeah, I've never played an MMO (to be honest I've never played a game online or in a LAN either). I was interested in this one though.

I'd advise to wait until near the end of the Open Beta and check again. Typically, fine tuning for performance will go on up to the last minute. Not that it always works. WAR had some performance issues it was ironing out, but still hadn't fixed a month+ after launch. But typically graphics tweaking is ongoing during beta.

Also, check your PMs LM.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, now that the NDA has lifted, I can say a few things I've noticed about the game:

1. It is a massive CPU hog. I think a CPU upgrade will be more beneficial, provided you already have 2-3 GB of RAM.

2. The graphics suck when you turn them back. Even at the default level, which my machine will run, the game doesn't look that great.

3. The graphic design for PCs and character animations suck. None of the character faces looks human. They'd have been better off using several base heads instead of one. The character skeletons are articulated badly, with the female being the worst offender. The animations in general are bad. Lighting is way overdone, even if you turn down the lighting options. They also seem to pick the wrong damned part of a character or object to reflect light off of much of the time, especially in regards to characters' faces.

4. If you're looking for game play innovations and you've been playing MMOs for a few years, you won't find many. Public mission execution is much less satisfying than in WAR.

On the plus side, the world feels much deeper than that of CoH/V, and I think they've used the license very well, and in a manner that will satisfy a lot of Champions PnP fans.

Overall, if you don't mind the graphics, the animations and the terrible lighting (and you might not if you have a higher end system, because those problems may not exist, or at least be lessened then), then the game looks fun. It's not groundbreaking stuff, but I'd at least try to get to level cap with a character and make an alt or two, just to see the storyline stuff and explore the world, if I wasn't put off so much by the graphics.

I really want to like this game, but I'll have to see if they get their act together on the graphics engine (I could live with the character models if they got their act together on the lighting), and see how it looks on a 360. I don't think it's in a state that will satisfy me at release, but I do believe the developers are continuing to refine the game and will continue to improve it after release.

In the meantime, I'll putter around Middle Earth sight-seeing in LOTRO. It's not half bad, and runs well on my system.

I got a chance to play the Open Beta, and I had a blast. I can't say that I can compare the game to every MMO, but I have played Everquest (in the first couple of years), WW2 Online, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, and City of Heroes.

I believe the look of the game is meant to be completely different from COH, and thus has embraced the artificial look on purpose. The characters do look "rubbery", and artificial. But, you can collect action figures in the game, and I suspect that this is in line with what the developers at Cryptic are going for with this MMO.

That said, I was able to make a dark hero rather easily. He didn't look rubbery after I got through with him. The character designer blows away any designer, in any game, including COH. The choices are staggering. You are able to do everything that you could do in COH, and so much more. You can even split up your design decisions to a particular side of your character's body. The character creator is deep.

You can alter your character's power colors, and where they emit from on the fly inside the game, not just once from the character generator.

You have actual stats to track, like Ego, Dex, etc., and many different character builds that give you differing bonuses. There is even an average build, that is good at everything.

You actually choose your own powers, although I didn't make it out of the starting location. Your beginning powers are attacks, to ensure that you can take care of yourself, but I was told after that you choose whatever you want. Defenses, more attacks, pets, etc. Linked powers (Shadow, Energy, etc.), have bonuses to ensure that those who have a unified build get a little bonus. One starting power builds energy, and one starting power uses energy. And, usually the starting power that builds energy acts as an anchor for all of your powers within that power type.

Example: Shadow powers cause fear, and the energy build power within Shadow acts as a sort of multiplier for all of your other Shadow powers, so that they have a greater chance to cause fear. If you chose a character with a blades attack (energy build), and shadow attack (energy use), you would still be fine, however your fear effect in the shadow attack would have less of a chance to take effect.

It's a really innovative system, and works to perfection. The way powers work in unison with each other, even when they are completely different types is awesome.

You can also attempt to block in combat, which helps out squishy builds.

I was able to make something akin to a City of Heroes blaster. However, he was much stronger in melee combat than a COH character, which is a good thing. No more one shots, or running from minions at low levels. I did have to be careful, though, as it wasn't easy to take on lieutenants and bosses once they were in melee range.

I was blown away, and honestly I am seriously considering the lifetime special offer. This is my favorite MMO, and I have never played one that has blown me away from start to finish the first time I tried it, like this one.

I can't agree with you about the animations, as I thought they were very well done. The combat system and it's various effects are much more engrossing than City of Heroes.

I don't know about the lighting, but I can't say that I ever thought...wow that that lighting looks crappy. I didn't pay attention to it, and it didn't make me notice it.

But, graphics aren't what I care about. I care about the details, and Champions Online has more details than any other MMO I've played. You should do yourself a favor, and try the game out. Everyone is different, and I wouldn't say that you should buy a new computer just to play it. But, I think it's an amazing experience, and I would buy a new computer to play it.

The first time I ran into an open area instanced mission I was blown away. You here the heroes voice asking you for help, as aliens attack you, laser blasts firing, sirens screaming. Good stuff.

As I say, this stuff could be in other MMO's that I haven't played...but I'm a superhero nut. When it's put inside of an MMO with capes, it's more to my liking.

Note: I should say that I played on someone else's computer, which certainly wasn't up to snuff to enable all of the fancy graphics (if any...I didn't ask, didn't care...was just glad to play the Open Beta). That could be why it looked "rubbery", somewhat. But, again, design choices in the character designer can easily alter this look.

I believe the look of the game is meant to be completely different from COH, and thus has embraced the artificial look on purpose. The characters do look "rubbery", and artificial. But, you can collect action figures in the game, and I suspect that this is in line with what the developers at Cryptic are going for with this MMO.

I think the whole "rubbery" thing is simply due to the default costume texture on most pieces being set to leather. Cloth doesn't look rubbery to me. Just remember to set the costume texture if that bothers you.

That said, I was able to make a dark hero rather easily. He didn't look rubbery after I got through with him. The character designer blows away any designer, in any game, including COH. The choices are staggering. You are able to do everything that you could do in COH, and so much more. You can even split up your design decisions to a particular side of your character's body. The character creator is deep.

The creator itself is nice.

You can alter your character's power colors, and where they emit from on the fly inside the game, not just once from the character generator.

That's a nice touch. Not having to pay for a respec to tweak those settings is thoughtful, and hopefully will be that way for release as well.

You have actual stats to track, like Ego, Dex, etc., and many different character builds that give you differing bonuses. There is even an average build, that is good at everything.

Having numbers to play with is always nice. I think that was something they didn't think was important to players when they did CoH. If you recall, at release you couldn't see any of your actual numbers for enhancements. Putting those in the UI came a while later.

You actually choose your own powers, although I didn't make it out of the starting location. .. [snippage to save space]

It's a really innovative system, and works to perfection. The way powers work in unison with each other, even when they are completely different types is awesome.

Looking at the power sets, I think there are strong incentives to specialize despite the flexibility. The system does have some potential for making interesting builds that are still effective while letting you play with different character concepts.

You can also attempt to block in combat, which helps out squishy builds.

One of the nice things is that you can also buy defensive powers that are improved versions of the block, in addition to the usual kinds. Gives some flavor to the basic block.

I was able to make something akin to a City of Heroes blaster. However, he was much stronger in melee combat than a COH character, which is a good thing. No more one shots, or running from minions at low levels. I did have to be careful, though, as it wasn't easy to take on lieutenants and bosses once they were in melee range.

Blasters in CoH have always been beasts up close. One difference in CO and CoH is that you will run into critters that will hold or mez you right out of the gate, and they will hurt your squishy a lot more than anything at low level in CoH will. You will learn to mash the Z button early on. Which is actually good. They teach you all the core concepts and let you practice them right out of the gate. I think that probably helps the learning curve.

I was blown away, and honestly I am seriously considering the lifetime special offer. This is my favorite MMO, and I have never played one that has blown me away from start to finish the first time I tried it, like this one.

I want to like it. I'm glad you're liking it. :thumbup:

I can't agree with you about the animations, as I thought they were very well done. The combat system and it's various effects are much more engrossing than City of Heroes.

As I said earlier, the game is a CPU hog, and that's the major weakness of my computer. It's very possible that the "bad" animations are simply something the game does to save on CPU time that isn't reflected in the in game settings. Maybe it just automagically kicks down the animation quality on slower CPUs? I did allow that most (if not all) of my qualms may be solveable on a higher end system. My Mac would probably play it decently, though the video card is slightly weaker than my PC, it's got a dual core that's much faster. But I'm not going to invest in Windows for my Mac right now, b/c Win 7 is going to cost an arm and a leg when it releases, and I'm short on extra limbs at the moment. :D

I don't know about the lighting, but I can't say that I ever thought...wow that that lighting looks crappy. I didn't pay attention to it, and it didn't make me notice it.

That's good to know. Do you see the detail on characters' faces (NPCS and PCs both) without excessive light shine/reflection on them on your system? If yes, then it gives me hope that it's just a system thing. Either a dislike for my particular GPU or a consequence on running it on a slow PC.

But, graphics aren't what I care about. I care about the details, and Champions Online has more details than any other MMO I've played.

I really would like to play through it to see all the content, as I said earlier. I'm with you on that part. The content looks very entertaining, and the world worth exploring.

You should do yourself a favor, and try the game out. Everyone is different, and I wouldn't say that you should buy a new computer just to play it. But, I think it's an amazing experience, and I would buy a new computer to play it.

I've been in since near the end of the open beta, when they let in the 10,000 for that online magazine promotion. I wouldn't have to buy a new computer, just a copy of Windows for my Mac, but I can't justify spending that much to play one game right now. I may just get it for the 360. The game will have matured by then, so I can get to hear even more real players' reports like yours. I'm sure I'll be itching for it by time it hits the 360.

I snipped the rest, but appreciate the sentiment. I think it's going to be a solid game. It's going to lose a few customers like me who just can't justify dropping cash into upgrades right now, but I think it may pull in a lot more if it can get the 360 or another console release out sometime later this year, or early next. I think they probably have a winner on their hands, no argument there. My own preferences and limitations are just that. Not an indictment of the game. Sorry if my earlier post sounded like I was trying to be a wet blanket. (I don't have to try, it comes naturally!) ;)

I snipped the rest, but appreciate the sentiment. I think it's going to be a solid game. It's going to lose a few customers like me who just can't justify dropping cash into upgrades right now, but I think it may pull in a lot more if it can get the 360 or another console release out sometime later this year, or early next. I think they probably have a winner on their hands, no argument there. My own preferences and limitations are just that. Not an indictment of the game. Sorry if my earlier post sounded like I was trying to be a wet blanket. (I don't have to try, it comes naturally!) ;)

Oh no, not at all. I was merely giving my experiences. I understand that it is a very unique experience when playing PC/Mac games. Everyone has different hardware, and a game like CO which scales to a wide variety of machines, gives different experiences.

The lighting on character's faces isn't something I noticed. I see the details just fine, without any shine to them. Maybe this is just one of those driver issues, or a hardware issue?

I got to play again today, the last day, and I still enjoy the game immensely. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to play the game, as my own computers are too old. It would cost me $565 to play...and I do not have it ($500 new computer, built from scratch, $50 copy of the game, and the $15 monthly fee).

Oh well, I'll just settle for my imagination, and creating my own heroes the old fashion way. I may even order that Champions sourcebook I've always wanted...so at least Hero Games will benefit in some way from my experiences.

Many times I here people talking about adding RAM to up their rigs to play games, but almost always changing to a new video card is much more effective, especially if all you have now is integrated Intel graphics.

I am been avoiding the MMO until Sept. 1st as I am working on my own games and I know this will be a time killer for me. But I will be buying and playing on the 1st.