Halflings for my world

JmOz

So I have been told (not asked) to run FH for my friends when 6th comes out. Been a couple of months sense I have gamed and getting my world notes together. While I have a few ideas for overall stories I thought I would get started with defining the races and ATypes that will be common.

The first up are halflings, I feel that halflings (Hobbits actualy) ushered in the modern Fantacy novel, so I should start with them

Physicaly Halflings look like miniture humans, while many halflings of moderate age are stout this is more to do with cultural issues that an actual physical type (In otherwords in their middle years they eat alot and exercise little)

They tend to have excelent senses (+1 PER, +2 Per v/range mods with sight)

Be sturdy of build (+1-2 CON)

Short of Stature (+1 DCV, or is it +2 for 3' tall, +X to Stealth, concealment, shadowing)

Not so strong (-2 STR)

And Well liked (+5 PRE)

Long Life (1 point of reduced aging)

Halfling culture has 2 signs of maturity. Around the age of 30-35 they develop a strong desire to see the world, they usualy pack up and leave, only about 1/4 of them ever return.

This period can last for about 20-30 years, where they wander and see the world. After this period some return to there home, but more often than not they settle down somewhere else, sometimes in another halfling village, but more often among humans or dwarves (ocasionaly in elvish cities as well, but while halflings enjoy the company of elves, living in elvish cities tend to not work well for them)

Halflings value things differently than humans and dwarves, but are just as greedy for that which they value than any other race. They value what are sometimes called "simple things". Good Food, comfortable living (Nice chair, a warm house, not a castle or a throne), good friends, puzzles, and a good story.

As soldiers they tend to make good stratigists, scouts, and missileers

They make good thieves, better gleeman (But not bards), and good jesters

They do suffer from the same infliction as the dwarves, making them not good at magic at all

By faith they tend to respect the gods of many nations/races, but other than the ocasional blessing they take a live and let live mentality about them. They are however very respectful of others beleifs and tend to explore much during there walkabout.

any other ideas?

Re: Halflings for my world

Pretty good Tolkienian interpretation. But I don't know if you really need the Long Life LS -- the average lifespan was about a hundred years old. If you intend your Hobbits to live longer, just ignore me. ^^

And, oh -- I figure Hobbit PC STR would be around 5, but I realize many players could object to that.

Looks pretty good.

I'd also go with something more like 5 STR.

I'd go a minor DEX bonus (maybe only +1 to +3) as it'll make them slightly better with missile weapons like slings and arrows (or maybe a +1 OCV or Range Skill Level or somesuch), help them be better burglars (or maybe a bonus to stealthy Dex skills), etc.

The PRE of +5 seems a bit high, maybe +3 then they'd still get the skill bonus. PRE attacks though? Maybe a +1 with Social Skills if well-liked the effect your going for. But defensive PRE would be appropriate, but EGO could do that too.

They should have some sort of resistance to magic influences -- Power Def, Mental Def, higher EGO, etc. and perhaps even very minor with poisons.

CON I might go up to +3, but at least +1.

The 1-point of longevity seems right to me.

They should be a bit slower in terms of running probably about -1".

Some sort of Psych Disadvantage/Complication involving eating.

That sort of little tweaks, but again looks pretty good.

As I'm typing this I have the strangest feeling of Deja Vu - Have we had this conversation before?

Anyway - combining wanderlust with a love of the creature comforts, being well liked and having a laid back attitude about religion puts me in mind of the popular image of Australians with a bit of the Aboriginal Aussies thrown in. The longer Walkabout is just a spin off of the longer lifespan.

Might consider adding some element of the Dreamtime to their beliefs, or at the very least have them speak with an Australian accent

Guest Worldmaker

Halfling culture has 2 signs of maturity. Around the age of 30-35 they develop a strong desire to see the world, they usualy pack up and leave, only about 1/4 of them ever return.

This period can last for about 20-30 years, where they wander and see the world. After this period some return to there home, but more often than not they settle down somewhere else, sometimes in another halfling village, but more often among humans or dwarves (ocasionaly in elvish cities as well, but while halflings enjoy the company of elves, living in elvish cities tend to not work well for them)

I am totally stealing this idea.

That's a neat idea. Hobbits speaking English with an Aussie accent.

Just remember it's an incredibly difficult accent to do. Every American I've ever heard attempt it always ends up doing Cockney instead.

I've only ever hear some Brits pull it off.

OK new package notes after reading comments the actual 2 package deals (Race, Culture) to make a halfling will be posted after I get 6th edition

They tend to have excelent senses (+1 PER, +2 Per v/range mods with sight)

Be sturdy of build (+2 CON)

Short of Stature (+2 DCV)

Easy to miss: +2 to Stealth, concealment, shadowing

Not so strong (-5 STR)

And Well liked (+5 PRE)

short Legs: -2 Running

Long Life (1 point of reduced aging)

Phys Lim (Penalty to magic rolls -3, causes magic items to have a 15- activation rol;, not including "enchantments"l)

Phys Lim (Non assuming, -2d6/-2 to certain presence attacks/rolls, causing fear/or inspiring hope in battle

Phsy Lim: Small Stature

all of the phys lims should be 5 points in 5th edition IMO. Of course with sixth edition things may change

The activation roll on magic items are for items with spell effects, most armor/weapons will not be effected.

Example, a Fireblade (Magic sword, command word allows it to light on fire and shoot fireballs). The character can use the sword and any enchantments (Bonus to hit or damage) on it without rolling the activation. The bound spells (Fire aura and fireballs) would require the Activation roll. The activation roll however is actualy a version of RSR, as they only have to roll once for a constant effect each time. Also note that a halfling MAY substute their Magic roll instead for the roll

This same disad will be on dwarves. I may lessen it on halflings to a -1 and 16- activation.

As I'm typing this I have the strangest feeling of Deja Vu - Have we had this conversation before?

Anyway - combining wanderlust with a love of the creature comforts, being well liked and having a laid back attitude about religion puts me in mind of the popular image of Australians with a bit of the Aboriginal Aussies thrown in. The longer Walkabout is just a spin off of the longer lifespan.

Might consider adding some element of the Dreamtime to their beliefs, or at the very least have them speak with an Australian accent

Probably honestly, I know I have mentioned some of these ideas the last time I was getting my FH campeign together

Phys Lim (Non assuming, -2d6/-2 to certain presence attacks/rolls, causing fear/or inspiring hope in battle

Perhaps make the negative to certain PRE attacks and such only versus other races. After all, they should be able to scare each other as easily as humans intimidate each other, and would presumably be able to inspire each other as well.

Perhaps make the negative to certain PRE attacks and such only versus other races. After all' date=' they should be able to scare each other as easily as humans intimidate each other, and would presumably be able to inspire each other as well.[/quote']

would give you rep, but I don't give out much, and seems you are one of the last people I gave it to...