Reactions to 6e

ajackson

Re: Reactions to 6e

There is no universal yes or no. The answer is entirely campaign dependent.

This is absolutely correct. In an Avatar: The last Airbender game extra ED, "only vs. Fire" may only be a -1/4. There are very few attacks that hit ED to worry about, and that setting defines lighting as a type of fire. (Don't ask, it makes sense in context) In a Sci Fi game filled with blast pistols "Only vs. Fire" may be worth -1 1/2 or more.

But I agree that in standard superhero or fantasy games "Only vs. fire" tends toward -1.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, no.

Steve's official answer when the question was asked was that unless a Barrier costs END to maintain (in which case all you have to do is stop paying END), once it is there, it is there FOREVER - or at least until it is broken / wear away naturally (i.e. ice wall melts away).

For a Barrier than can be dismissed, either buy a separate Dispel only vs. your own Barriers, or make it nonpersistent.

Read my later posts after this one.

I paid about $1,500 CDN for a 21" pivot about 5 years ago. A 17" or 19" one should be really cheap by now... Hmm, a 22" pivot is $270 CDN! Wow, if you have a desktop why wouldn't you have a pivot monitor?!

It's actually an odd artifact of computers that monitors are landscape orientation by default, portrait makes so much more sense, especially if you deal with books and e-books. They had pivoting CRT's in the early-mid 90's but cultural innertial and needless tradition reach even into the high tech world.

Just saying, if you read a lot of stuff on the screen, be it webpages or e-books, the absolute best investment you can make for your desktop is a pivoting monitor.

Sorry, end of digression. Back on topic. "Nuff Said"

I have a 24" widescreen which allows me to read two Word pages side by side, so even though it does pivot I never use it in portrait mode.

Since I have access to a good duplexing color laser printer I have printed hard copies of both books and put them in a pair of binders so I can more comfortaby read them (reading a PDF on a computer screen just isn't for me). This way I can also scribble in the margins and hilight to my heart's content knowing that my books, when they arrive, will remain pristine.

Thusfar I have read upto the Powers chapter. My current plan, should I choose to use 6E, is that I will keep the 5ER COM characteristic and dispense with the Striking Apperance Talent. I have also worked up a set of house rules that require certain minimums for specific characteristics. For example OCV & DCV must be at a minimum equal to DEX/3, PD must be a minimum of STR/5, etc. This will essentially re-create the figured characteristics of 5ER.

Next I will start reading the Powers chapter to see what sort of changes have been made. I may or may not feel compelled to institute more house rules based on what I read. Eventually I may get around to writing up a full set of my house rules and posting them here.

The more I look at Striking Appearance, the more I think it makes a great adjunct to COM (which I will be retrofitting back into my personal 6E games). You want your character to not just be attractive but distinctive (and want it to work for you, rather than against you as the Complication does),take a level or two of Striking Appearance. :D