Disad Value (5e)

CrosshairCollie

Re: Disad Value (5e)

In a game taking place in a slightly more technologically advanced version of the real world' date=' what value do you think 'No Legal Rights' would be worth?[/quote']

At a guess, I would say 20 or 25- either frequent or very frequent with Severe, as a social lim.

Like many such issues, it comes back to how often you want this to be germane to the game. If it's going to be Frequent (or very frequent) it should come up frequently in the context of the game. If this were Very Frequent and Severe, I would expect it to routinely have a significant negative impact on the character.

"He has no legal rights - Very Frequent, Severe" would seem to justify things such as the character being imprisoned without a hearing for an extended period of time (we're just putting IT in storage...), being unable to make a citizen's arrest (dogs and mannequins can't, and you have the same legal rights), being unable to testify in court much less press charges, etc.

What effects do you envision this disadvantage having once the game gets rolling, and how often do you expect them to come up? To me, that's the litmus test of frequency and severity.

Superboy (Kon-El) was a clone, and the issue of his legal rights rarely/never arose. The DNAgents were clones, and the series revolved in large part around the fact that they were owned by the company which created them. Same basic "not a real person/no legal rights" issue with vastly different impact on the characters.

Social Limitation, frequency determined by how manifest their status is (is it known to all, or just some, are they forced to display tattoos or wear certain clothes, etc.) and severity determined by the consequences. Does this mean the PCs can be gunned down by any random person with no ramifications? Are they restricted from buying/selling goods, etc.?

Social Limitation' date=' frequency determined by how manifest their status is (is it known to all, or just some, are they forced to display tattoos or wear certain clothes, etc.) and severity determined by the consequences. Does this mean the PCs can be gunned down by any random person with no ramifications? Are they restricted from buying/selling goods, etc.?[/quote']

Pretty much. It's an idea for a game based (loosely) off the 2k3 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series. Mutants aren't considered humans, or animals, and thus wouldn't be protected by laws that cover either. Someone shooting at one could be charged with some crimes (discharging a firearm in city limits, that sort of thing), but wouldn't be charged with attempted murder. Most of them are going to have distinctive features, of course, but I'm good with the old floppy hat and trench coat disguise working. :)

How often' date=' and how severely, were the Turtles disadvantaged by their lack of legal standing? Seems to me it was typically just a background element with little or no impact on their adventures, but I was never much of a fan.[/quote']

It came up more often in the 2k3 series; angry mobs, government-backed scientists wanting to dissect them, that sort of thing.