Free character pics

DrDestiny

Throughout November, I'll once again be doing some free character portraits. Having learnt my lesson last year however, this time it'll be a limited number; 9 in total.

It's not first come first served, but rather I'll pick the nine character ideas I like best, and you can either have them painted or done in my vector style (examples follow).

The requests can come here, or on the Champions Online board, so it'll be just Champions characters.

So, if there are nine people who'd like one of my wobbly pics, please, post away!

Painty: Legacy: Captain Marvel 2

Vector: The Nightmarer

Re: Free character pics

I would love one. Dr. Kara Lokidottir is finally playing with her costume slots. Currently going for smooth lines all metal purple suit that covers all from the neck down, but will continue to tweak as I unlock costume pieces between now and November.

Thanks for the offer, even if mine don't get picked! Look forward to seeing all the results.

I'm always up for different pics of this guy:

picture.php?albumid=26&pictureid=1416

(by Acroyear, colors by shir1964)

Vest can be green too if doing a color version. Sneaky scary acrobatic 1930's crimebuster with Halloween arsenal.

Scrapyard

Armor as a result of powers, not power armor. ;) Artist who did scrap-metal sculptures got caught in an accident involving a junkyard magnet and a lightning bolt while looking for parts, wound up with magnetic powers. Rather than run around in spandex and hope there was metal nearby, decided to bring a good bit with him to manipulate.

Suit is built from scrap parts, some significantly tooled, others just stuck on. Bottom layer is more finished and set, though is still inconsistent in regards to color and texture it is largely an interlocking set of armor. On top of that various bits and parts are hooked on or adhered magnetically - chains, a stop sign, pipes and metal tubing leading to cans full of ball bearings, etc. Gauntlets/forearms are oversized. Show one hand dangling from a chain leading to the forearm, for scale purposes the real flesh hand of the wearer is inside the oversized forearm but not visible. Boots oversized as well, have groove in bottom that could fit snugly on standard railway lines.

Grolm the All-Seeing

Extradimensional gorilla sorceror. Three eyes, set equidistant around head (one facing forward, might look like cyclops from straight-on), four arms (set 'normally' from torso), two legs. Purplish tinge to fur, mystic sigils inscribed upon chest, various pouches and doo-dads around waist and strapped to his various arms. Posed floating with legs in lotus position, arms performing some spell.

Prismcat

Large (tiger-sized) cat with white fiber-optic fur, bob tail. Bonus points if the pic has him lapping up a strawberry shake or sliding across a street surfing on a supervillain, especially Charger. :P

Holy cow, it's been almost a year since you did the last batch! That went fast.

I love love love the pics you made last time. Please to consider...

Boll Weevil, my nom de ptui. I have never been happy with my attempts to draw him. He has 4 four arms and they always look like if he lifted something with them they would fall off. Storn's Grond, I think, did it right but alas my 25 year old character remains unillustrated.

As I mentioned, BW has four arms. Each arm has a spike on the ulnar forearm. He originally wore a loud green costume with half-mask. He thought he had a secret ID but, with 4 arms, he clearly did not. BW is not quite right. If the Abnormals were the A-team, Boll Weevil would be the Murdoch. The physical descriptions are important but his costume is open to your vision.

Since we're on the MMO side I'll do my best to lure you in for my main on Champions Online.

Bio:

The night she was born the hospital was consumed by darkness. Institutionalized from birth the child that would become Lady Night lacked almost any control of her abilities. Her parents being normal humans left her to the care of those who said the understood mutants. Her parents being scared and foolish left her to be become a test subject a nameless mutant locked away for experimentation.

Although it is impossible for her to say when, even her earliest memories she had known Albrecht, the shadow man who came to her when no one was watching. As she slept he would whisper into her dreams tell her secrets of how to control her powers and always there was the promise that one day they would meet.

At age fourteen she escaped. With no money and no understanding of the outside world Albrecht guided her to him. For the next ten years she studied under him, following his every instruction. She did not question the man that brought her freedom nor the acts she committed for him. Albrecht taught her powerful binding rituals and new ways to channel the darkness she naturally generated. For the first time in her life she felt powerful.

Albrecht’s final command to her was to bring him six babies, born out of wedlock. He had told her it was for the final ritual and that her studies would then be complete. As she questioned why, Albrecht flew into a rage nearly killing her. They fought and she saw the true face of the man who would be her master. The final binding that would have her soul. Albrecht died that night. Swearing she would never be manipulated again she vowed to help those too weak to help themselves.

And so it came to pass that the Night was reborn.

Screen shots attached (Note: Last Screen is of Albrecht for when we unlock the Nemesis.)

That's a very generous offer and given your talent I hope my character idea intrigues you.

Black Brume: She is the avatar of a ghost ship - I'm presently calling her the avatar of the Elizabeth Dane because I don't know of any canon ghost ships (help here is welcome) - falling into the category of beneficial rather than omen-of-doom like the Flying Dutchman. These are the ghost ships from real life lore that appear in time to take sorrowful people contemplating suicide-by-drowning to fabulous cruise-ship parties and cheer them back into living; these are the ghost ships that patrol the seas to save people from drowning when all else is lost. Most appear in the vicinity of the equator, which makes "Ellie Dane" something of an anomaly as she appears as far north as Canada.

"Ellie Dane" is a young ghost ship and takes liberties in her interpretation of 'saving the drowning', to a point where a fraction of herself patrols the land, using her not insignificant powers to do right. Perhaps in time, she can learn to have an identity beyond that of savior and avenger.

brumew.jpg

I can't find a hairstyle that really suits her, it should be that long, over the shoulder and down to the waist, swept all away from the face style so many comic book females sport. I'm hoping to unlock something eventually.

PS: She's more Kaylee than Zoe, and way way more Serenity than Millennium Falcon.

I agree a very generous offer so I'll throw in my idea.

Haunted Horseman: A sixth generation hero who's family has passed the mantle from father to son for years, hiding the fact that the horseman is not immortal (think the Phantom). He uses sciencitfic gadgets to make people believe he is an immortal spirit. Don't really have a costume idea yet but was thinking something that speaks to the horseman's origin in the Wild West so feel free to take some artistic liberties.

Wow, I love your style, man.

Been looking through your Deviant Art gallery, and you've got some GREAT pieces in there!

I especially like the way you use shadows on some of the faces. The ones where the characters are really angry or in pain or otherwise screaming or howling are really good. Very expressive and believable.

You do a great job of making certain characters seem really dark, too, but without a lot of over-the-top obvious stuff. Just the subtle use of shadows and positioning that conveys a lot of tone. Gorgeous stuff.

I'm not sure that my character would be interesting enough to warrant one of your awesome portraits, but I'd definitely love to see your take on the wicked cool character that Eightfold_Path posted above.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to humbly submit my Champion for consideration. Love the look of your artwork, and would love to see him immortalised by it. Anyway, here he is:

Paladin

Sir Kurtt of Wulfrunia was born in the year 1344. He served as a Knight of the Realm in England. He bravely defended the crown, and was duly recognised by having an ornate suit of armour commissioned by King Edward III himself.

Unbeknownst to Sir Kurtt, the helm he wore, dubbed the Helm of Justice, was actually crafted from a rare alien mineral known as Kelvarite. This mineral fell to earth, and was treated as a gift from the gods by the Blacksmith who found it. He saw fit to incorporate it into the helm Sir Kurtt wore.

Over time, the Kelvarite started to have a strange effect on Kurtt. It gave him incredible strength and invulnerability. It also became apparent, as the years wore on, that it granted near immortality.

Today, Sir Kurtt still lives. After hiding his true nature throughout the centuries, but helping the innocent where possible, he is finally able to work openly. He is now known as Paladin, hero of Millennium City.

As the centuries have passed, and the Kelvarite's effect has grown stronger, Paladin's abilities have grown. He can now project energy in various forms, and has mastered the power of Flight.

The one thing that made Sir Kurtt a great Knight was his sense of justice. This he now embodies, as Paladin, a Champion, a defender of justice.

(Just a few notes of explanation. Kurtt has been my name in various games, both PnP and online. Wulfrunia is the medieval name of the town I was born in, Wolverhampton. I'm not one hundred percent sure of the effects of Kelvarite in the Champions universe, but decided to take a bit of artistic license with it :) )

On to some pics of him in-game:

screenshot_2009-10-18-17-20-44.jpg

screenshot_2009-10-18-17-21-08.jpg

SGUniformCompare1-1.jpg

Let me know what you think :)

Cheers,

WW

Hello again, Dr. Destiny!

I remember this from last year on the CO boards.

I'd like to humbly submit my own main character, Rune.

[in-game short bio]

Tenured professor and archaeologist Dustin Glyffburg discovered ancient glyphs and sigils predating all known human civilization, and deciphering these runes gave him access to lost power, some would say forbidden power, the language of creation itself.

Remaking himself into a vision of youth and vigor, Glyffburg protects human civilization from any threats, extra-planetary or extra-dimensional alike, as the enigmatic Rune!

Character page

Rate my Champion

More character art of him can be seen among the member pics gallery of this Super group website, as my character is the leader of his own team.

http://HTTP://SilverAge.GuildPortal.Com

screenshot_2009-09-19-23-20-32.jpg

Background Publicly mysterious, he seems to be a cosmically powered hero who takes on the truly "big" threats most of the time, sometimes all alone. When no truly big threats are around, he busies himself with seeking out possibly dangers from large to small, and helps out with more traditional crime fighting issues, like bank robberies.

Attitude Outwardly precise and serious, particularly with the general public, he takes his 'work' very seriously. In private he has a bit of a silly streak, an occasionally wry sense of humor, and is a bit of a ladies man. He exhibits an exceptional amount of charisma and his perception is almost legendary. Is in some ways a crossover of Dr. Strange, Reed Richards, and James Bond.

Rune leads the Silver Age Sentinels, and specifically looks to find others of like mind to his way of seeing things; that is that heroes should not kill, are not judges nor juries, and have no specific right beyond ordinary citizens unless granted individually to that hero by a legal organization. Indeed, that possession of such powers bestows on one the responsibility to use them in defense of others.

[He is essentially like a "Cosmic" powered hero like a Marvel version Captain Marvel, but uses Magic and Knowledge as his origin source. His Secret Identity is a very spry and fit older gentleman Professor at at Millennium University]