Power sources in the universe that the PCs can't have

CrosshairCollie

I had an idea for a game recently (though I suspect it won't be any more successful than anything else I've tried of late, but I digress) that I think I would best describe as the 2k3 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles animated series crossed with a little Street Fighter and Xiaolin Showdown.

However, to get the feel right, I'd have to be extremely limiting on PC options. I could see allowing one human PC (to be 'The April' or 'The Casey', as it were), and perhaps letting one PC having psionics or mystical powers. Of course, everybody has some kind of martial arts and probably some weapons and miscellaneous gadgets like smoke bombs or whatever.

But there were regular superheroes around, and super-high-tech, and aliens, and all kinds of mystical stuff (especially in the lost episodes that aired on CW4Kids). Given that, I'd probably set the game in a somewhat stripped-down version of the Champs U ... take out the huge heavy guns like Dr. Destroyer, focus more on agencies like VIPER and DEMON, reduce the overall super-population both heroes and villains worldwide.

Somehow, though, it seems unfair for me to have the PCs have to be restricted to animal powers, martial arts, and weapons with possibly one low-powered mystic or psychic, while there's all this other stuff flying around. Though some of it could be picked up along the way with XP ("I'm gonna spend the points to start hiking around with this laser rifle I swiped off a VIPER agent, cool?"). Am I merely being anal-retentive, am I seeing a problem that isn't there, or is this a legitimate concern?

P.S. I know that if the players all accept the limitations without reservation then there's not a real problem, but, assuming this does qualify as unfair, I'm not the sort to treat my players unfairly even if they're willing to accept it. :)

Re: Power sources in the universe that the PCs can't have

The world of TMNT was some real variety in it. If you can pick up some of the Graphic Novels this might help.

Here would be my suggestions regarding PC concepts. Pitching the world without superheroes may go a long way or superheroes in such low numbers it is irrelevant. Another way to pitch this is "normal on the surface" meaning that whatever the character concepts are they can't fundamentally upset the everyman's perception of the modern world.

Much like in the series as the game goes on and more fantastic elements are integrated new options might open up should new players join or should an exsiting player grow bored and just want something different. The setting also has a lot of potential to mature characters into new concepts. take a group of PCs who are all martial artists introducing magic into the world maybe one of the PCs veers off in that direction, possibly even to the extend of diminishing previous skills.

You could always start by telling the players what they have available, and saying that additional options will be "unlocked" as you introduce them into the campaign. Once you introduce the new options the players will be able to make use of them, either with their current characters through point expenditure or radiation accident, or with new characters. That way when the psionic Men In Black show up the players won't be like "Dang, psionics?" Instead they'll be all "Cool, now we can buy psionics!"

At least, that's the theory.

Somehow, though, it seems unfair for me to have the PCs have to be restricted to animal powers, martial arts, and weapons with possibly one low-powered mystic or psychic, while there's all this other stuff flying around. Though some of it could be picked up along the way with XP ("I'm gonna spend the points to start hiking around with this laser rifle I swiped off a VIPER agent, cool?"). Am I merely being anal-retentive, am I seeing a problem that isn't there, or is this a legitimate concern?

Legitimate, but not big. You just got to lay it for the players "You'll play anthropomorphic animal martial artists in a world with a variety of other science fiction and fantasy things." Then wait for the player who says "Can I play a vampire instead?". If he doesn't speak up, then you're cool.

Then wait for the player who says "Can I play a vampire instead?".

Since 2008 it has been mandatary law for any referee asked such a question to pick up the nearest heavy/blunt instrument and then in a slow and deliberate manner ask the player the question, "Sparkly or non-sparkly?"

If they answer incorrectly you are not responsible for your actions.

Its the Law. *serious*

Since 2008 it has been mandatary law for any referee asked such a question to pick up the nearest heavy/blunt instrument and then in a slow and deliberate manner ask the player the question, "Sparkly or non-sparkly?"

If they answer incorrectly you are not responsible for your actions.

Its the Law. *serious*

No More Twinklers!

NO TWINKLERS EVER!

- - -

As it is the law and as your attrony I would advise using first edition Vampire The Masquerade books if they are available.

I think it's fine to limit what the characters can play, even in a very varied campaign setting, if the players are on board with it from the beginning.

IMHO this is no different than saying:

"Ok, let's play Champs!

1. All of the characters are members of a family (maybe with one friend) who were exposed to cosmic radiation and gain powers related to one classic element each.".

or

2. All of the characters have Distinctive Features [Mutant] and must take 'Unified Power' on all of their inborn powers.".

or

3. ".

I think it's fine to limit what the characters can play, even in a very varied campaign setting, if the players are on board with it from the beginning.

IMHO this is no different than saying:

"Ok, let's play Champs!

1. All of the characters are members of a family (maybe with one friend) who were exposed to cosmic radiation and gain powers related to one classic element each.".

or

2. All of the characters have Distinctive Features [Mutant] and must take 'Unified Power' on all of their inborn powers.".

or

3. ".

I agree with Doc Samson. But if someone does not want to be a fuzzy animal per se, there is some leeway in your campaign parametes for diferent charaters. For high-tech, you can go power armor with an animal motif, suc as Iron Draon or Anklyosaur. Or how about a cyborg with an animal theme where as the cyborg parts resemble animal parts. Claws seem to be very popular, but wasn't Bushwack have a cybernetic snake tail ? For mystic how about Jaguar from the BBB ? Here you can contrast refined martial arts to raw animal aggresion. I.e. the human side has a martial art and the animal part has just raw ability. tHse are some ideas off the top of my head.

P.s I would so play in a game like this.