MA/Claws... is there any Hope?

freshrod

Greetings

I had created, a while ago, a MA/Claws Character (called BlindSide) which I haven't really leveled much yet.

So as I have been reading the forums and trying to plan him out, I'm beginning to get the idea that the MA/Claws Powerset is a bit lack-luster.

Does anyone have a Character like this? Have you had any success? Do you have any suggestions? Or should I give up and scrap him for a different toon?

Re: MA/Claws... is there any Hope?

I changed Ninja Gecko from claws to dual blades. I suspect claws leans towards higher single target damage but dual blades pwnz with it's various attacks with plenty of AOE. Life has been much easier as dual blades.

Greetings

I had created, a while ago, a MA/Claws Character (called BlindSide) which I haven't really leveled much yet.

So as I have been reading the forums and trying to plan him out, I'm beginning to get the idea that the MA/Claws Powerset is a bit lack-luster.

Does anyone have a Character like this? Have you had any success? Do you have any suggestions? Or should I give up and scrap him for a different toon?

I think some people may regard a martial artist with claws as overdone, but I wouldn't say "lackluster."

Since we're not looking at the character, it's hard to say what you might want to spend points on. But I see no reason claws can't "sweep" multiple opponents, either as that manuever or with a small Area Affect. Or look for noncombat uses for claws, as in Clinging. Some abilities appropriate for a martial artist dont' have to do with claws - Missile Deflection, Danger Sense, Defense Manuever.

If you want to specialize in "blindsiding" people, consider a limited Stealth based Invisibility.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Riding

I think some people may regard a martial artist with claws as overdone, but I wouldn't say "lackluster."

Since we're not looking at the character, it's hard to say what you might want to spend points on. But I see no reason claws can't "sweep" multiple opponents, either as that manuever or with a small Area Affect. Or look for noncombat uses for claws, as in Clinging. Some abilities appropriate for a martial artist dont' have to do with claws - Missile Deflection, Danger Sense, Defense Manuever.

If you want to specialize in "blindsiding" people, consider a limited Stealth based Invisibility.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Riding

I think the palindromedary is in the wrong forum. We're speaking of character design in the MMO game.

Yeah... been reading on the forums this weekend. Most people seem to share the opinion that MA needs to be overhauled, or at least buffed a bit.

I guess, from my playing experience, I would really like to see MA be able to get in, do some major damage, and get out. While it has the "get in" available with the Thundercat Lunge, there seems to be any true, "Major Damage" powers in MA.

The other thing I seem to hear a lot is that all the Passive powers stink.

I agree.

I mainly play Might and am trying Dual Blades. Overall, I do more damage per hit than my ranged friends, but I have to close the distance and hope they don't step back on a windup. This is making me consider ranged attacks more and more, especially with Imbue as I continue to read the PVP boards.

Unarmed is even worse, trust me...

All the different martial arts types should have some sort of specialty that they are better than the others at - I've tried everything, and Unarmed martial arts is outperformed by all the others. Least DPS, minimal AOE, no noticeable benefit endurance-wise (as far as I can tell - I'm open to opinions).

Pair it up with Lightning Reflexes (probably the poorest-performing defense power), and you've got an extremely frustrating character to play! I've basically abandoned my primary character because he's just too useless right now to be fun.

Everything I've read says all the MA passives are pure crappola.

It's really too bad. I mean think about wanting to make a brawler and you really can only use Might, and even that's not all that great.

My MA/Might char (Uncle Samson... see video =) ) can hold his own. But only through attrition. Blocking and relying on a high recovery and regeneration to keep me alive. Slowly whitling away at their boss healthbar's slowly due to the lack of a real powerful attack.

Oh well, luckily there are a lot of other fun powersets to play with, and just hope that they fix Martial Arts at some point.