The Kid with limitless Energy

薔薇語

Howdy my Fellow HEROphiles.

So this idea struck me and I was wanting some exterior input. It is often remarked on how much energy children seem to have. They run and run and run and never seem to tire. Awake at all hours of the night as if they never slept. Of course we know this isn't true, but what if it was true for one child. He never tires and never sleeps. That was the beginning of my thoughts on the character.

At current, I am imagining a person who has the following HERO Mechanical qualities:

No End for: Str, Run, Swim,

---I may opt for a nigh unlimited (for what ever campaign the character end up in) End or End Reserve instead of buying No End. This way the Character could still "push." Although that in some ways makes no sense since the disad for pushing wouldn't be anymore 'real' than simply having No-End.

LS: Does not sleep.

Physical Complication: Can not dream / enter R.E.M. sleep / etc.

My initial thought is that this should be worth 0pts. Any other views?

----

Given all of that, would you think there is something more that should be added? Keeping in mind that I don't have any specific special effect worked out for the character, yet. I'm thinking perhaps a type of magic where this person intuitively draws upon the arcane forces around him and this is the result. Any other ideas for Special Effects?

Also, what do you think would be some of the results of such a power set? Off hand I would think that the character's stats would be higher than normal as he could continue to work out without tiring. But I wonder what impacts this would have on his/her social life. Would never sleeping have cause the individual to develop social quarks?

All input welcomed.

Thank you,

La Rose

Side note - I said "Kid" but the character isn't restricted to being just a kid.

Re: The Kid with limitless Energy

I think you forgot Leaping in your list.

Also, depending on SFX you go with, the kid may need more LS. Someone that is fueled by limitless magical energy may not need to breath or eat, since those functions are all about energy.

Most kids sleep between 8-10 hours a night, so by the time the kid is 10 years old he would have effectively had about 3 or 4 years worth of extra awake time over his peers. So, depending on the characters work ethic, having all that extra time on his hands may also be a good reason for a wide array of skills/perks/tallents or just a few very high level skills.

On that note, how does this constant wear and tear on his body affect him? It's possible the energy that keeps him bouncing off the walls might also keep him young (Reduced aging or immortality) or may even accelerate the healing process (Regen).

It's equally possible that it's going to send him to an early grave...

All good ideas, Bloodstone. I didn't think about the other LS. I did think about regen but was unsure if that was the a good idea. Hearing someone else mention it does reassure me some. Regen or a really high REC which would also help if I buy him as having just a really high END and not as some special advantage or End Reserve.

Thanks for the ideas, Blood.

La Rose.

REM sleep seems to be essential to humans; humans deprived of such for extended periods have lost their grip on reality. It seems we need deep (REM) sleep to organize our thoughts and memories. Obviously in a superhuman world that might all fly out the window, but I'm not certain it would be worth 0 points as a Disad.

REM sleep seems to be essential to humans; humans deprived of such for extended periods have lost their grip on reality. It seems we need deep (REM) sleep to organize our thoughts and memories. Obviously in a superhuman world that might all fly out the window' date=' but I'm not certain it would be worth 0 points as a Disad.[/quote']

Whereas I have always assumed that LS: Does Not Need Sleep includes Does Not Need REM, as REM is a subset of Sleep.

You might want to think about what limitless energy means to the character's Strength. I would presume, for example, that the lad (or lass) could not only run all day, but run all day with their schoolbag full of books. He/she could pick up a bowling ball, hold it out at arms length and just keep holding it there forever.

I wonder why he/she would have any limit on what he/she could lift. Assuming a good place to brace against, he/she would start to pick up something. Should it require more energy to do so, well, that's not a problem. Should the load be too much for his/her little frame, well, there's limitless energy in those muscles to buttress the skeleton, right?

Note that this doesn't necessarily mean that he/she should do tons of damage with a punch or kick. He/she might not be very accurate. The magical energy that powers him/her might not "activate" for aggressive acts like that.

All interesting ideas to think about, Utech. My initial concept was that the force that grants him this unusual allowance of energy doesn't let him access more than he would if he were but a mere mortal. I.e., the average human can only lift 100kg and not any more. The distinction between this character and the average one is that he doesn't tire from doing so. So the idea that he could run all day caring a backpack is in keeping with my concept, but not that he could necessarily lift anything, even given enough time.

Thanks for the thoughts.

La Rose

No End for: Str, Run, Swim,

---I may opt for a nigh unlimited (for what ever campaign the character end up in) End or End Reserve instead of buying No End. This way the Character could still "push." Although that in some ways makes no sense since the disad for pushing wouldn't be anymore 'real' than simply having No-End.

A 0 END Naked Advantage could be turned off, so if you wanted to push you just pay END normally plus however much for pushing.