New DM looking for some 6th Edition character creation Help

Dspin0212

Im new to the hero system and my players and I are very excited for the freedom and awesome options of the hero system. however we are a little daunted and lost as up until now we have only played White Wolf and D&D. i was asking for some help on the system forum about character creation and someone suggested i post the basic character concepts here and ask you guys humbly to give me some direction or builds to help my players along until we get more familiar with the system.

I am running a iron age campaign with 300 powerpoints, very dystopian and gritty.

one Player wants to play a sword wielding martial artist with super senses, reflexes, and a gambit of hacking and espionage skills (super agent)

Gravity controller who can teleport, move objects, fly, create areas of no light, deflect missiles and blows.

Shapeshifter who can assume the form of any animal including other humans, with skills and equipment for protection.

an oldschool superman type (strong, tough, jumps high) no xrays, speed, flight, lasers

thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated

Re: New DM looking for some 6th Edition character creation Help

Welcome to the forums, you absolutely made the right decsion coming here first. Hero can be TOUGH to learn when you have no one that's played before, and I would say the forums are absolutely essential for getting started.

Unfortuately, I haven't made the jump from 5th ed. to 6th ed. and any of the sites I link with characters you could look at will all be 5th ed. also. I'll do the best I can with what you have, and if you have any questions about what I'm talking about, I'm sure someone else, who has 6th can translate for you:

Your Super Agent, is really pretty easy. Try to keep his primary stats (STR, DEX, CON, INT, EGO, PRE) around 20-25 for this power level (this may vary as you're playing with less points than a "normal" 5th ed. game and 6th ed characters typically require more points for the same power level compared to 5th, making this really hard for me to judge). Add the skills you think he needs, swords are typically Obvious Accessible Focus (OAF) which means he can be disarmed, so he'll want a back up (martial arts) for the times he loses his sword.

Gravity Controllers can be a bit more difficult. Teleport is obviously Teleport, Moving Objects is Telekinesis. Gravity effects over a larger area can be Area of Effect(AoE) Telekinesis. Deflecting Missiles is Missile Deflection, but blows is typically a block. Persnally I would just use a Force Field (except I don't think it's called that anymore).

The Shapeshifter can actually be pretty tough. There are a couple of different routes you can go with that. You could go multiform. This would allow you to pick a certain number of animals you could turn into. It wouldn't be EVERY animal, but you could probably get 6-10. You'd still need to buy Shapeshift to turn into other humans. The other way to do this is with Shapeshift and a Variable Power Pool (VPP). Shapeshift turns you into the Animals and you use the VPP to give you the "powers" of that animal. For example if you turned into a hawk, your in your VPP you'd need to buy Shrinking, Flight, and maybe some Telescopic Sight.

The Strongman is pretty straight forward. Lost of STR lots of Defenses.

If you want my advice, you absolutely need to buy Hero Designer. It's a software character creator. In my opinion this software will teach you SO much about making characters with Hero.

The Shapeshifter can actually be pretty tough. There are a couple of different routes you can go with that. You could go multiform. This would allow you to pick a certain number of animals you could turn into. It wouldn't be EVERY animal, but you could probably get 6-10. You'd still need to buy Shapeshift to turn into other humans. The other way to do this is with Shapeshift and a Variable Power Pool (VPP). Shapeshift turns you into the Animals and you use the VPP to give you the "powers" of that animal. For example if you turned into a hawk, your in your VPP you'd need to buy Shrinking, Flight, and maybe some Telescopic Sight.

can enhanced scenes be bought with a power structure?

In 5th Enhanced senses may be classified as "Special Powers"' date=' which no can't be used in a Framework. However, with the limitations on it (only powers that duplicate animal abilities of the Animal form I currently have) I'd allow it as GM.[/quote']

I also believe that you are specifically allowed to use them in multipowers to simulate foci from a utility belt. Holy Bat-Telescope!!

I also remember a write-up of Changeling from the Teen Titans that used this method. That was pre-5th edition, but I don't think that invalidates the concept.

This thread is actually a duplicate thread of another that is at the time of this posting, up to three pages. Please continue with that other thread so we don't wander off into two different conversations. Thread at:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/76816-new-to-hero-looking-for-some-guidance

I remember Ankylosuarus buying slots in his multipower based on real points

nothing like a 16d6 explosion on x4 charges in a 60 point Multipower.

anyway

enhance senses where pulled off of frameworks because it was too easy to add cheap slots in a multipower to gain perception when needed...

very tired

I remember Ankylosuarus buying slots in his multipower based on real points

nothing like a 16d6 explosion on x4 charges in a 60 point Multipower.

anyway

enhance senses where pulled off of frameworks because it was too easy to add cheap slots in a multipower to gain perception when needed...

very tired

What Edition of Ankylosaurus are you refering to?

This thread is actually a duplicate thread of another that is at the time of this posting, up to three pages. Please continue with that other thread so we don't wander off into two different conversations. Thread at:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/76816-new-to-hero-looking-for-some-guidance

Multiple threads concerning the same subject are not uncommon around here.

I'm pretty sure they are completely wrong guesses (though I could be wrong' date=' of course). Any help from anyone else? Have Multipowers ever been based on RP in any edition?[/quote']

This was the case in the very 1st edition of the original rules (just an omission really).

The issue was resolved/corrected in the next edition/printing.

Were there sample characters written up incorporating that omission? I’m just curious' date=' this is a piece of Hero History I’ve missed somehow.[/font']

I don't know. I only have a copy of the second printing (the Black & White cover). The omission was in the original (with a Color cover).

Im new to the hero system and my players and I are very excited for the freedom and awesome options of the hero system. however we are a little daunted and lost as up until now we have only played White Wolf and D&D. i was asking for some help on the system forum about character creation and someone suggested i post the basic character concepts here and ask you guys humbly to give me some direction or builds to help my players along until we get more familiar with the system.

I am running a iron age campaign with 300 powerpoints, very dystopian and gritty.

one Player wants to play a sword wielding martial artist with super senses, reflexes, and a gambit of hacking and espionage skills (super agent)

Gravity controller who can teleport, move objects, fly, create areas of no light, deflect missiles and blows.

Shapeshifter who can assume the form of any animal including other humans, with skills and equipment for protection.

an oldschool superman type (strong, tough, jumps high) no xrays, speed, flight, lasers

thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated

You might want to poke around here:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/index/archive.html

There are hundreds (thousands?) of character sheets you can look over for ideas and sample builds you can steal.