Hit location tables...

Gorgeous_B

I can see clearly in the 6E hit location table, the parts are clearly ranged probability, but in melee it would be extremely different - meaning that in melee it is much harder to hit someone's feet than their hands, and much harder to hit their shoulders than their abdomen/chest. I was wondering if anyone had a conversion of this table or maybe some advice in making my own. As well I was wondering if anyone did a sort of BODY per Location play style like the old RuneQuest system, so one's arm being blown off had an actual in game representation. I am about to start a campaign where this is almost necessary, and been asked of me from all the players. More work than I wanted ( i am currently on break from basic training in the U.S. Army, and taking advantage of free time), but I really wanted to get the campaign underway before my A.I.T (February 21st). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Hit location tables...

What you might want to do is take a look at the Special Hit Location Table(pg 108 v2 of 6eth Ed) and use that. It gives things like "Head Shot" which is Head to Shoulders, etc. Also, some of the optional rules in the Ultimate Martial Artist even suggests using them for punches and the like.

That way you can use the standard 3d6 locations for truly random things like spraying someone down with automatic fire etc.

There are optional hit location rolls for many maneuvers in the style write-ups in the UMA. As such, its not much of a cognitive leap to reintroduce the old rule you mention into the current edition (though I haven't seen it written down anywhere).

As has been mentioned, a number of martial arts maneuvers limit the hit locations. There should be nothing with declaring that a particular attack (even if bought as a straight up HA with SFX 'Punch') to be limited to targets above the waist.

Well you Used to be able to specify as a non advantage/disadd that all "punches" are "high shots" (ummm 2D6+1 loc?) etc...I guess it depends on what you envision battle as.... "Fair fighting" or "I stop his foot, then while he is distracted I put a thumb in his eye, then I slip around and stab him in the back"...either way works.....

Funny in our medival renacting group 20 years ago we keep count of where we hit, (the neck and head out of bounds but accidents happen) and it mirrrored the table well surprisingly. The Missle users hit more in the chest but they aimed at eh chest where the melee you take what you got.

Lord Ghee