cancelling out the source of their mystic power

If the source of power for the majority of the magic in this campaign are mystic gems represented as a focus in every spell, how do you build a spell that drains or dispells the source of the power which in this case is the focus?

Granted, this is only for those of the light to be able to reduce the fuel for darkness spells. It is not a universal spell, so far.

Re: cancelling out the source of their mystic power

If the source of power for the majority of the magic in this campaign are mystic gems represented as a focus in every spell' date=' how do you build a spell that drains or dispells the source of the power which in this case is the focus?[/quote']

Since the focus isn't a power itself, but an object, I'd go with some sort of attack that targets the focus (Blast, RKA, maybe Transform), "only vs mystic gems of darkness". This would require you to figure out the DEF/BODY of the typical gem, and build the spell appropriately. The Blast or RKA version would 'destroy' the Focus, the Transform could heal back however you decide or could have some form of Time Limit applied, so that it would only disable the Focus for some limited amount of time.

That is a good suggestion, CalumX and one I am considering. The issue I find with Dispel is in the operation. Dispel rolls dice, totals the numbers, subtracts power defence and then that sum is used to mitigate a certain active point total. The catch being that Foci have no active point value in and of themselves. They only serve to modify the active point total of the power they facilitate.

I don't think you need a "gem destruction" power so much as you just need to define the Focus. It is a limitation, and as such you just have to come up with what you would deem a reasonable way to destroy/dispel it. If you figure it has 5 DEF and 1 BDY, then it takes 6 BDY to destroy it physically. If you want a spell that specifically destroys the gem, either buy an attack that only targets the gem (say 2d6 RKA, only vs. Magic Gems (-1), maybe with AoE Radius 2m so you don't have to target it), or buy a Dispel of roughly equal active points. Maybe that makes magic gem destruction too cheap, so perhaps the gems should be tougher. Maybe the gems can only be destroyed with magic (maybe only with a specific gem-killer spell), but maybe a good blow with a war hammer would do it. Whatever you decide, start with the stats for the focus and then the choice for a destruction power will be obvious.

If I was designing the game from the ground up, I might be tempted to require all spells (or at least all spells of that sort) to draw their END from a reserve - and the END Reserve would then be the gem, which you could drain of END or REC or both.

As I'm not....2 questions:

1. Do you want to be able to reduce the effectiveness of a spell or are you content with a binary: it works/it doesn't?

2. Do you want a given 'dispel' to affect the same number of active points of enemy spell or do you want the 'dispel' to be able to stop an enemy spell working no matter how many active point sit is based upon?

This sounds a lot like the Green Lantern ring and battery situation.

Is the battery recharge requirement really worth points? (probably no)

Are all powers created by the ring considered 'one power' (unified power)? probably yes.

If I was designing the game from the ground up, I might be tempted to require all spells (or at least all spells of that sort) to draw their END from a reserve - and the END Reserve would then be the gem, which you could drain of END or REC or both.

As I'm not....2 questions:

1. Do you want to be able to reduce the effectiveness of a spell or are you content with a binary: it works/it doesn't?

2. Do you want a given 'dispel' to affect the same number of active points of enemy spell or do you want the 'dispel' to be able to stop an enemy spell working no matter how many active point sit is based upon?

In principle, one requires a certain number of gems to cast each spell. Each spell defines the number of gems required to cast it (I'm converting this from a strategy game I liked so I'm pulling the information from material associated with such). If you don't have the correct number of gems to fuel the spell, you don't get to cast it (so far).

By design, casters use gems to fuel their spells. The gems are usually associated with one of the four elements or light or darkness. The object of this particular spell is to reduce the power supply, not necessarily to negate a spell, hence my dilema.

In principle, one requires a certain number of gems to cast each spell. Each spell defines the number of gems required to cast it (I'm converting this from a strategy game I liked so I'm pulling the information from material associated with such). If you don't have the correct number of gems to fuel the spell, you don't get to cast it (so far).

By design, casters use gems to fuel their spells. The gems are usually associated with one of the four elements or light or darkness. The object of this particular spell is to reduce the power supply, not necessarily to negate a spell, hence my dilema.

Have you considered using a Suppress (Drain variant) against the Powers the gems provide? That would simulate them getting less energy by limiting the effect they output.

A Suppress would dampen as long as it is maintained, while a Drain would cause a return of power over time, and a Dispel would shut off the Powers as an either/or effect. If the Powers are shut off though, they effectively become powerless, neutralizing them permanently unless there is some way to "turn them on" again. The difference with a Suppress from everything else, is that everything suppressed returns to normal after the Suppress ceases - even Suppressing BODY down to a level which would kill or destroy (target revives or reconstructs spontaneously afterwards).

EDIT: Forgot to put this in:

If you define each gem as adding say a certain number of Active Points adding in a certain order: say black gem is #1 (providing first 40 Active Points), white gem is #2 (providing +30 Active Points, Linked to Gem#1), red gem is #3 (providing +20 Active Points, Linked to Gem#2), etc., each adding only when they are together in a certain configuration, and each having DEF as normal for Foci, including Power Defense.

In this case, any Adjustment Power have a tougher time affecting them all at once, but can more easily affect especially the lesser gems (like red gem #3 above), shutting off that particular gem's part of the total Power if it is reduced to zero or below. You can apply an Adjustment Power to either the Power or the BODY of the gems whichever choice works out better for you.

My understanding is that the effect of the spell is to eliminate the power source. There is no mention of it returning later. The SFX has to do with the power of light and the sacrifice of a being of light serves to cleanse or purify the dark power source (half of them anyway).