The Singularity?

Kristopher

Re: The Singularity?

The Singularity seems to be an article of faith for transhumanists' date=' and I think the handwaving away any mention of practical impediments is telling.[/quote']

"Article of Faith" sums it up nicely, given the reflexive dismissal of impediments you mention. "But something we haven't imagined yet will be invented!"

And those who don't believe in the singularity are dismissed as "luddites" and "technophobes", or compared with "cave men" convinced that the future will be the same as the past.

That said' date=' I do think humanity at some point will assume complete control of its own evolution, and when we do there will be one humdinger of an ethical debate taking place.[/quote']

Certainly.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clarke's Third Law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

If or when the technological singularity occurs, from most people's perspective we will have entered an age of magic.

It is only an horrific step sideways to Cthulhu.

Come to that, I find the Singularity as the "rise of Cthulhu" both plausible and frightening. Too bad that it's already been the plot of Fire on the Deep.

Or half the plot. No, I don't find your aliens that interesting, Dr. Vinge. (Although Deepness in the Sky showed that it wasn't impossible to make it work.)

Earth emerges from the Slowness, and Cthulhu instantiates as the Internet, seizing control of human brains with a single glance at a website?

Come to that' date=' I find the Singularity as the "rise of Cthulhu" both plausible and frightening. Too bad that it's already been the plot of [i']Fire on the Deep.[/i]

Or half the plot. No, I don't find your aliens that interesting, Dr. Vinge. (Although Deepness in the Sky showed that it wasn't impossible to make it work.)

Earth emerges from the Slowness, and Cthulhu instantiates as the Internet, seizing control of human brains with a single glance at a website?

It's about as plausible.

I do tend to get the feeling that the Entire Singularity thing is simple Nerd Ramblings to eventually get back at the jocks, and to make jocks worry about their potential impending future where the Nerds win.

~Rex

I thought they already did. Everyone's playing video games now; most of them are pretending to be a dwarf or elf. All the big-time movies these days are comic-book heroes, except for Star Trek or reimaginings of such classic nerd-fare as Sherlock Holmes. Seems like all the pro athletes are disgraced if not actually going to jail. What purpose does this singularity still serve at that point?