Internal Computer

Alverant

A character I'm considering making for 6th edition is a member of the Galactic Police. All GP officers have a nanite computer woven into their brains. This computer not only has access to the character's senses but can interface with GP computers in real time. For example if the officer looks at a crowd, the computer would run facial recognition, weapons check, and analyze body language on every person seen and report back any threats. The computer would also be able to send and receive radio signals, send alerts to fellow officers, and so on.

So how do I build it? Since the computer is internal how would the OCV/DCV work? Is it equipment or follower? Is it neither and should be bought as regular powers with maybe some physical complication to reflect the computer's nature?

What happens if I want the computer to control the body if the officer is KOed or under mind control? Or control part of the body while the officer is focused on something else (computer controls the legs to do a full move while the officer controls his arms to attack)?

Re: Internal Computer

For the most part, I'd just buy it as straight up powers and skills and call the rest special effects (flavored with appropriate limitations, of course, like the lesser version of Restrainable).

Once you start getting into the computer doing stuff while the officer is unconscious or otherwise busy, now you start getting into the realm of the more complex.

Lots of options there, but two of the more common would probably be:

-Duplication, to represent two minds in one body, each of which can act independently of one another.

- giving the character extra BODY/STUN, but saying he passes out before then and the computer takes over. Probably worth a Psych Complication. You can also give him extra SPD, but the Computer gets half the actions.

I'm with you for the most part. I wanted to see if there was a way to design it as an actual computer to save points, but having it be innate powers would make the most sense. Not to mention the GM may be slightly less inclined to mess with you or try to find a weakness just to put you in your place.

However according to the rules (going by memory here), a Mind Link is broken if the character is knocked out and has to be re-established by sight using half a phase. Would I be able to apply Inherent to the power so it's always on unless blocked by specific shielding or being in another universe or the like?

• 4 months later...

I have a character with an internal AI. I didn't make it invisible, just bought it without a focus limitation. I gave it a Psychic Bond so the character wouldn't have to talk out loud to communicate with it like Deathlok and to avoid issues of re-establishing after being knocked-out when the AI doesn't have any targeting senses, even though arguably being inside someone should give it LOS on that person. The Bond is no-range, since there are circumstances where the AI can leave its host-body, it could be an issue.

For zero points (because it doesn't limit the character) it has a Serves Host psych lim. It also has other psych lims related to its alien origin. It's part and parcel of a VPP based on having advanced reconfigurable alien technology inside his body, although it is paid for separately. It can take control of the VPP and choose to do its own thing (like do something it thinks its makers would want), but I can also see having a program like 'revive host body', which could be objectionable, or even obnoxious.

It sounds like a recipe for abuse, but no one has even noticed he has recently gained a 60-point Cosmic VPP yet because the character is low-key like that. Still, from what I've seen in this thread, I'm getting the impression a case exists that an internal computer built straight-out according to the rules is problematic, especially if it can help out when you're unconscious. I don't have a lot of points to spend to make it more balanced, I may cut it back yet. So far I haven't done anything like use it to wake the character up when unconscious.

OTH, having a separate consciousness with divided loyalties able to take over your powers residing inside of you could be much more trouble than it's worth.

Wait, it's connected to a network? And it's physically connected to his brain? So many alarms are going off right now. How will you deal with it when someone try's to hack into him? If he's on a network then it's only a matter of time before a hacking attempt succeeds.

That is a danger, but if he's a Galactic Cop the penalities will be stiff and they probably have their own computer security always looking out for that kind of thing. The hacker will have to get into the GP computers, and then successful hack the cop's personal computer. It's probably worth a storyline.

If the setting features psionics, a cyberkinetic could totally mess with the info the cop receives.

That is a danger, but if he's a Galactic Cop the penalities will be stiff and they probably have their own computer security always looking out for that kind of thing. The hacker will have to get into the GP computers, and then successful hack the cop's personal computer. It's probably worth a storyline.

If the setting features psionics, a cyberkinetic could totally mess with the info the cop receives.

Yes, cause the authorities can totally keep up with all the thousands of hackers sitting in their mother's basements. /sarcasm

I don't doubt it happens. I just doubt the average FBI agent getting their laptop hacked is a common problem. Good for a storyline, not something to be paranoid about. They're more likely to pick up a nasty virus while netsurfing. Now THAT's something to worry about for the computer in your head.

I don't doubt it happens. I just doubt the average FBI agent getting their laptop hacked is a common problem. Good for a storyline' date=' not something to be paranoid about. They're more likely to pick up a nasty virus while netsurfing. Now THAT's something to worry about for the computer in your head.[/quote']

Except the agent has a computer in his head, which needs a wireless uplink to be truly useful, and probably has to link to public providers, unless his agency has servers everywhere. I have a whole section in the Kazei 5 book I mentioned devoted to just this concept.

Are you talking about brainhacking through the internal computer interface? Otherwise' date=' all that other stuff applies equally to my local FBI agent's laptop.[/quote']

Yes, I'm talking about striking at the internal computer brain directly. I doubt a random hacker would do it, but in Kazei 5 (anyway) internal processors are very common -- you need one to run your cyberware. So you have a greater chance of being hacked because people might have sniffers looking for active processors and their IP addresses. Of course, you also have Intrusion Barriers (Mental Defense) and the like to keep such people out.

A further note on how it works in K5: To keep things simple, your internal process is represented as a raw EGO score with an OMCV and DMCV value. Software programs are various Mental Powers with fancy SFX names and the blanket Limitation "Software" (akin to "Spell" in FH.)

Also, since these would have to be connected to a centralized network to be very useful, you just have to put a virus in the central hub that sends itself out to the brain computers as an official software patch.

Which is what makes them different from an FBI laptop, because those are either connected to the internet, a very decentralized network, or not connected to a network at all.

Good point. Of course, mind controlling someone through their interface is hideously complex. Inducing a seizure through their interface would be child's play in comparison, and also very useful.

Imagine a scene where the interstellar safecracker is surrounded by agents and activates his failsafe program...and all of the agents fall to the floor, twitching.

Good point. Of course, mind controlling someone through their interface is hideously complex. Inducing a seizure through their interface would be child's play in comparison, and also very useful.

Imagine a scene where the interstellar safecracker is surrounded by agents and activates his failsafe program...and all of the agents fall to the floor, twitching.

In K5 you don't Mind Control the person, you control their 'ware. Easier to do.