Post Apoc. campaign started on Hero Central.

CorpCommander

I was fortunate enough this week to come across an old CD with all my backups of a post apoc. campaign I designed a few years ago. It is called "The Broken Earth" and reflects the World after it has been destroyed in war and the attempts of small bands of pre-apocalypse survivors to bring back civilization and technology to the above ground survivors. Well, that was the plan. The main computer has kept your team frozen for 198 years instead of the 8 you were expecting. The survivors on the surface might not consider you a rescue team but another warband.

What happened to the other vaults? Why did the Main Vault Computer keep you in hibernation so long? The planet was hit by asteroids, so why are radiation levels so high? You bring a New World Order but what is that order and how will you implement it?

Players are 175/50 points with advanced technology aiding them.

You can find it here: http://www.herocentral.net/campaignInformation.htm?campaignId=947728

I have three players and could take as many as 8. It will be played entirely online.

Re: Post Apoc. campaign started on Hero Central.

I'd be interested in this. I've looked at the Hero Central posting as well.

Do you have any character creation guidelines apart from the starting points? Min/Max's? Perks or some such that you have to take? I noticed that one of the players has cyberware can anyone get this? What is allowed/what isn't?

As a teenager I came across The Morrow Project at a regional gaming convention and desperately wanted to get a copy and play. During that time period I got to play AD&D, Gamma World, Champions, Twilight:2000 and Warhammer Fantasy Role Play with a couple of other games tossed in there but never Morrow or Aftermath!, which was very similar.

Other inspiratons were the film Aliens, the book Neuromancer and some hard SF books I can't remember the titles to.

6th edition

Characters are built to 175 points and must take 50 points in complications. No characteristic stat can go above 20 naturally. However in the world there are cyber and wet 'ware enhancements. AI is obviously advanced. So long as the technology is plausible without needing a miracle substance or a miracle power source you can create what you want. Iron Man's suit is out. A flying R/C robot that can do observation and analysis is in. Teleportation is out. Time travel is out. Personal jet packs you can fly around in all day are out. Anti-gravity is out.

A good character can adapt to the three main challenges in this environment which are personal, environmental and military. My suggestion at this stage is people can create characters but as a group you should decide what you need to survive.

More later!

In your initial post you say that the world was destroyed in war' date=' but later mention that it was hit by asteroids. Is it one or the other, or both?[/quote']

The Earth was at war with the asteroids. We lost. ;)

In your initial post you say that the world was destroyed in war' date=' but later mention that it was hit by asteroids. Is it one or the other, or both?[/quote']

Good Question. I've only been able to give a synopsis of the 20 page back story so some things are probably vague.

The 3 part storty goes like this:

Man advances to populating the Solar System and exploiting the outer planets for their resources. Life on Earth is a life of plenty. In part this is because we have so many other planets to exploit. But still we compete as nations for their wealth and get good at fighting each other in space. First contact is made during a battle near Saturn. Man stops waring with himself and seeks to meet and understand the new visitor. The Xenos have come to fight.

Part 2 - the war with the Xenos rages. While we are good at fighting in space the Xenos have a strength in advanced technology. They have a weakness and that is they have no supply line. A Mother Ship that feeds the others is discovered and a desperate plan is put together to attack it. It is beyond the range that humans have traveled so great cooperation and sacrifice is needed. In the end the majority of the Xenos are defeated but they remain just beyond the Solar System.

Part 3 - Final Revenge. It is surmised the Xenos came for our planet. There is just no other reason to fight intersellar war because it is hard and unlikely to succeed for the attacker - even with advanced tech as is shown here. They make a desperate bid to take the Planet by killing off our race. The launch a bio-war, using drop ships. A terrific war is fought on the ground against a species designed for nothing but genocide. The threat is contained on the ground and an offensive is launched again at the Xenos.

Realizing their doom and following, perhaps, their own code of honor they kick asteroids into a collision course with Earth. Global Killers. However, it is an agonizing and slow death for humanity because it will take years for the asteroids to reach Earth. Two plans are put into place. The first is to freeze the best and brightest in deep shafts to emerge a few years after impact to restore the Earth. The other plan, more desperate is to get the top side population, who don't know about the vaults, to crash build space systems to deflect the asteroids. Chance of survival is minimal.

That is the world you left.

You emerge not a few years later by almost 2 centuries. Your AI is the defacto command personality. There is no apparent contact with the other vaults. Radiation levels on the surface are surprisingly high. Your mission remains; see what life remains on the planet and restore civilization.

Questions you'll want to answer:

Were the Xenos finally defeated in Space?

Are any of the colonies still operational in Space?

Are the ground based Xenos still in existance?

What current civilization, if any, exists now?

Why were you woken 190 years later than specificed in the Operation Plan?

Your HERO (Humanity Emergency Rescue Operation) Team awakes destined to answer these mysteries.

--Pete

Cool. Do all characters have to be from the military? Are all characters starting out just out of Cryo-freezing?

In fact most of those frozen were not military. Some are, many aren't. Final decision making on who went into the safety of the vaults was determined by criteria generated by AIs wargaming the end result thousands of times. A mix of technologists, artists, scientists and even people expert in Earth's religions were sent below. You must pick one of these types as your main specialization but for the most part a specialization is only 9 points of your character.

The characters will start from the moment they are awoke by old friends...

Yes. I still haven't figured out HeroCentral totally. I don't seem to get email when something new is posted. Let me get in there now and accept you.

Thanks for your interest. I can accept up to 8 players.

You, as the GM, need to go to the Characters page and edit your "character" email preferences. This only happens for the GM, for other players it defaults to email notifications, the GM has to manually activate them.

Just an update, I have added everything a player would need on the Hero Central site to jump into the Broken Earth. Up now is the complete relevant history, complete lists of equipment, complete lists of weapons, etc.

What isn't up yet is a write up of the RAVEN and AIRLORD vehicles. Nor is there a base design for Vault 0126 up yet either but none of those are necessary for character creation. We have 4 characters almost ready to go with one MIA and hopefully coming online with us soon. We can use up to 8.

We kick off this weekend. I hope all goes well!