Shane Black directing and writing Doc Savage film.

Guest steamteck

Guest steamteck

It's been floating around the past week or so but not been mentioned here as far as I can tell.

Doc Savage: Man of Bronze is being developed over at Columbia Picture with Shane Black set to direct. Who is Shane Black? He is the writer behind the Lethal Weapon series and also wrote Last Action Hero and Long Kiss Goodnight. He also directed Kiss Kiss Bang Bang which had Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer.

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/2010/02/columbia-pictures-picks-up-doc.html

http://gordonandthewhale.com/shane-black-to-direct-doc-savage/

http://www.cinemaspy.com/article.php?id=4078

Black is co-writing the screenplay with Anthony Bagarozzi and Chuck Mondry. Neal Moritz will produce through his Sony-based Original Film.

Re: Shane Black directing and writing Doc Savage film.

I'm going to wait and see on this. Just as long as they remember Doc is an intellectual powerhouse, not just a physical one. Now, as to who will play Doc Savage himself, well. . . I seem to remember that Schwarzenegger was mooted at one point, although he has since retired from movies.

I'm heartened that they're setting it in the 30's (any plans to update to the modern world would be a failure, IMHO), and that the Fab 5 will appear. As for casting... I'm expecting that we won't see any 'big' names in this; the cast will all likely be relative unknowns and solid B & C-listers. Discounting any additional figures added by the script, there's be *six* protagonists at some level in the film and, much as I love the stories, no studio will front the cash to get big names for a film with that many cast members which doesn't have a huge built-in audience, and, sadly, Doc Savage isn't 'The Lord of the Rings.'

I will be there like the rat up the proverbial aquaduct when it gets dowmn to Australia ! Will be interesting to see the casting. I hope they can find someone with the right "presence" (both physical and intellectual) to play Doc. I also hope that they have a more interesting villain than the last "Doc Savage" movie did; "Captain Seas" just seemed too low class to be oppossed to Doc and the boys !

Speaking of which I wouldn't mind if they threw Doc's cousin pat into the mix . Hmm, tall blonde actress who looks good using a gun. Who do you reckon might fit the part ?

She's short' date=' though. And the Savages aren't blond. Their skin, and hair, is "golden." I've a feeling that when you deconstruct that, Alba's colouring is closer to what Lester Dent had in mind than is Uma Thurman's. So other than height, perfect.[/quote']

They could always have her stand on a box. Worked for Tom Cruise and Patrick Swayze.

• 4 weeks later...

They could always have her stand on a box. Worked for Tom Cruise and Patrick Swayze.

Oh please DO NOT go there ! Tom cruise with bronze makeup and died hair trying to play Doc Savage ? Eww ! I may just have to have my mind scrubbed with a wire brush to expunge that image !

Oh please DO NOT go there ! Tom cruise with bronze makeup and died hair trying to play Doc Savage ? Eww ! I may just have to have my mind scrubbed with a wire brush to expunge that image !

you may need to admit yorsel to doc special hospital for that

Yep I'm waiting for Casting, though I can think of a few Actors that would work, with a month or two in the gym. Really needed this movie back when Steve Holland was still the man, heh. I mean, Ron Ely wasn't a Horrible choice, but he was no Steve Holland. Some of the names they are batting around right now I would not be unhappy with.

~Rex

It's been floating around the past week or so but not been mentioned here as far as I can tell.

Doc Savage: Man of Bronze is being developed over at Columbia Picture with Shane Black set to direct. Who is Shane Black? He is the writer behind the Lethal Weapon series and also wrote Last Action Hero and Long Kiss Goodnight. He also directed Kiss Kiss Bang Bang which had Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer.

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/2010/02/columbia-pictures-picks-up-doc.html

http://gordonandthewhale.com/shane-black-to-direct-doc-savage/

http://www.cinemaspy.com/article.php?id=4078

Black is co-writing the screenplay with Anthony Bagarozzi and Chuck Mondry. Neal Moritz will produce through his Sony-based Original Film.

well, LOng Kiss Goodnight is about my FAVORITe action movie....

sounds good

Some of the potential names for Doc are popping up already. Some not bad picks in there so far. Still, casting will be a long way off.....but the names are looking good.

~Rex....Long Kiss Goodnight was a great flick......Could be potential in this guy.