In Through Page, Out The Screen

Ragitsu

If one wanted to have the ability, or an item with the ability to transport themselves and others to fictional worlds (Star Wars, Twelve Monkeys, Europa, Ringworld, The Last Samurai, Neverending Story, etc) that were created in "our" reality, would Extra-Dimensional Movement (Fictional Worlds Only) work, or would I need something else?

How much of a price reduction would there be if the user needed to have a copy of the media (DVD, book, comic, etc) in hand?

Lastly, in order to prevent Total Party Kills, is there a way so that everyone in the group gets Life Support (Low Pressure, High Pressure, Self-Contained Breathing) or other protective abilities/Powers for a brief while after entering a new world? This would, of course, be tied to the wielder of the power (be it innate, or OAF based).

Re: In Through Page, Out The Screen

If this isn't just plot device (IE: you need actual stats), then yes, you have done it correctly. The exact stats may change depending on whether you have location shift and all that jazz. I'm not sure what to call the limitation on that. On the one hand, it certainly limits you. On the other, I'm not sure how often you would need to go into one of these fictional worlds on short notice.

In short:

-A device about the size of a bookmark, and it can't be destroyed at all (barring a huge use of GM fiat). The powers will only activate when certain people hold it, but what the powers do, for the moment, is seemingly random.

-The device will take the wielder and up to four others to fictional worlds. If not paired wth a piece of fiction upon activation (such as a book, or DVD), the world itself is random.

-The device sometimes sends the travelers to dangerous locations (searing hot desert, crushing depths of an ocean, the vacuum of outer space, etc), but it will protect them from the harmful effects for a short while (say, a half hour or so) and occasionally give them superhuman means of movement to get them to safety.

I'm sorry... I know you said you need actual stats, but I have to ask: Why? From the details you just gave this sounds like a plot device more than anything else. Which is fine. If there is a character that needs to pay points for this for some reason (which seems strange), then I get it. Or if you expect the device to be Suppressed or Drained at some point, then I can also see the point of statting it out.

Anyway, here's my best stab in the dark at it:

Cost POWERS

28 Fictional World A-Go-Go: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Any Dimension, Single Location), x4 Increased Weight, Safe Blind Travel (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (70 Active Points); OAF (-1), Side Effects (Side Effect always occurs whenever the character does some specific act, Side Effect affects both character and recipient of Power's benefits; Users travel to random fictional world if powers are activated without reference material; -1/2) - END=0

9 Fictional World Safety: LS (Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing), 3 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Hour each (-0), Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once; +1) (38 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2), OAF (-1) - END=[3 cc]

4 Fictional World Movement Powers: Flight 6m, Usable As Second Form of Movement (Swimming; +1/4), Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once; +1) (13 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2), IAF (-1/2) - END=1

POWERS Cost: 41

The Life Support and movement powers are set up to allow use by up to 8 people only because the next step down is 4 people, which is one short of your requirements. The Charges allows the user to use the safeties portion three times for one hour each, but the activation is not controlled by the user. It's GM Fiat, which sounds like what you were going for. So the bookmark would activate the safeties for one hour at a time, up to three times a day/adventure, as needed I suppose. I assume that it would not function to protect against poison gas, but only against fictional worlds whose natural environment is harmful.

I just noticed that the movement power should probably have the same Charges limitation. The three times for one hour each limitation doesn't change the cost at all, so it isn't necessary to recalculate the costs if you go with this. Just make a note of it. Hope that helps.

Unfortunately you need to provide very exact specifics if you want very exact numbers :) What about Sobran's writup isn't working for you?

As for the 8 people vs. 5 people thing? In Hero 4 people provides one cost and 5-8 users is another cost. So if you just say it works for 5 instead of 8 you will get the effect you want, you just need to be aware that the math will be exactly the same for a version of the device that works for 6, 7, or 8.

In Hero, the difference between 30 min and 60 min is exactly the same as far as the duration goes. Just like there is no mathematical difference between 5 people and 8 there is no real difference between 60 min and 30 due to the way the time chart works.

The writeup he posted is exactly what you wanted, sobran was just giving the biggest benefits for the cost. Reduce the numbers and you are fine. The math won't change.

What Jhamin said. Basically the writeup I posted it what you were looking for, as near as I am able to determine. You could simply write it as 5 maximum passengers and 30 minutes on the charges length... but it would cost the same. So either you can do it that way, or leave it and if some random NPC needs to be transported at some future date you are apparently already covered.

I am going to raise a difficulty. Do these fictional worlds actually exist?

If they don't, and I mean any of them, interdimensional movement won't take you there.

So unless you are playing in a universe where all fictional worlds exist, you can't get to the end by the means discussed, and maybe not by any other means either.

At least arguably, you can't have a world where all fictional worlds exist either. As in that fictional world, it is possible to imagine, and therefore create, a fictional world where other fictional worlds do not exist. As this is a contradiction, the premise, ie that a world where all fictional worlds exist exists, is impossible.

[this is what you get for allowing someone trained in philosophy to post on the board. :sneaky:]

I am going to raise a difficulty. Do these fictional worlds actually exist?

If they don't, and I mean any of them, interdimensional movement won't take you there.

So unless you are playing in a universe where all fictional worlds exist, you can't get to the end by the means discussed, and maybe not by any other means either.

At least arguably, you can't have a world where all fictional worlds exist either. As in that fictional world, it is possible to imagine, and therefore create, a fictional world where other fictional worlds do not exist. As this is a contradiction, the premise, ie that a world where all fictional worlds exist exists, is impossible.

[this is what you get for allowing someone trained in philosophy to post on the board. :sneaky:]

SECURITY! Who let him in here?