Heat absorption

DocMan

Hey, folk. I'm thinking of new areas for my character Inferno to expand into... and I hit upon the concept that his powers aren't just the classic fire energy projector set, but actually run to control over heat.

So the idea of this power is that he absorbs the heat from a given heat source, or the surrounding area, and holds it internally to power up his other powers. Unlike your typical absorb, this is an active power, and as he pulls in the heat, the source becomes colder, cooling off hot metal, extinguishing fires, chilling the air, etc.

I was thinking of this as an absorb linked to a change environment, but it doesn't seem quite right.

Thoughts?

Doc

Re: Heat absorption

Is it possible to put cumulative on Change Environment? I don't have my books in front of me. If so, a low value Change Environment linked to Aid either REC or END directly (as others have suggested) would be pretty sweet. Does Inferno already have Absorbtion for heat-based attacks? If not, that might be something to look at later.

EDIT: But I do have HD. Looks like Cumulative isn't legal for Change Environment because it doesn't apply versus a character's defenses. Ah well.

Currently, he doesn't have Absorption for heat-based attacks. But that isn't a bad idea...

Transfer would let it be used as an attack... but can you do a transfer on an inanimate object?

A Transfer or Aid to END is a good thought. It would let him recharge quickly, or go over his normal power ceiling and have plenty of END for extra punch by pushing his powers.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Doc

Sounds like an Endurance Battery type power to me, with maybe a limitation that it only recharges by way of a Heat Absorb power. Link the End Bat to a Absorb (Heat) power, with like maybe 3d6.

In my opinion, 3d6 is about what you will find in a big normal fire. It is not the amount of damage rolled, it is how long you are in the fire. IE... A Normal would be killed quick in a 3d6 fire burning house.

Broadsword -}--->

If what you want to do is cool things down (AKA make a branding iron cold), or say put out a fire, I would build it as a dispel (possibly a cumulative one if it takes a bit of time).

Since you can't transfer END from something that has no END, and the source of the Absorption needs to affect you before you can gain anything, I would make it an AID linked to the dispel.

How much potency does his heat absorption have? Instead of _just_ cooling off hot things, how about cooling off room-temperature things since they still have Heat, being above 0 Degrees Kelvin...

Or to put it another way, Energy Blast NND ( safe env: Cold ), 0 End + linked END Aid.

The concept of the power is kind of an All of the Above type thing. By absorbing heat he should be able to a) cool a hot room B) chill/heat a normal room c) take the heat out of hot objects (like a branding iron) d) put out fires e) use it as a weapon to pull the heat from a live body.

It begins to look like a suite of powers under a single special effect with an aide linked to them. Kind of begs for a power framework, too.

Doc