WF: Thrown Weapon (5th)

Ninja-Bear

A quick question to WF: Thrown weapon. If a character buys this, does it apply to all throwing weapons, such diverse as axes, knives, and shuriken. Or do you buty each one individually like WF: Vehicle weapons. (Personally, i think it makes more sense with the latter interpretation.)

Thank in advance.

Re: WF: Thrown Weapon (5th)

This Weapon Familiarity applies to throwing weapons that aren't designed to be thrown.

e.g. throwing a battleaxe or a longsword.

It's in Fantasy Hero and the Hero System Equipment Guide.

You can throw an ordinary melee weapon with a -3 OCV penalty. A 1-point WF allows you to throw a specific type of weapon without that penalty, e.g. WF: Thrown Swords, WF: Thrown Axes, WF: Thrown Polearms, etc.

You still suffer any balance/aerodynamic penalties as well.

If you have APG, I believe they get "into" this as well...

Personally I've always done WF: Thrown means items designed to be thrown (Javlins, Franciscas, etc...) And WF:Throw swords is a seperate skill set you buy for special abilitys..."I spend a hour a day tossing my sword at a target, just to stay in practice"

The thing is, I'm not even seeing "WF: Thrown" or "WF: Thrown Weapons" in any of the books.

There's Common Missile Weapons, which can be purchased as a group, containing Thrown Rocks, Bows, Crossbows, Javelins and Thrown Spears, and Thrown Knives, Axes and Darts.

Then, in the Uncommon Missile Weapons Group, there's Thrown Chain & Rope Weapons and Thrown Sword.

That's it. Am I looking in the wrong place?

The thing is, I'm not even seeing "WF: Thrown" or "WF: Thrown Weapons" in any of the books.

There's Common Missile Weapons, which can be purchased as a group, containing Thrown Rocks, Bows, Crossbows, Javelins and Thrown Spears, and Thrown Knives, Axes and Darts.

Then, in the Uncommon Missile Weapons Group, there's Thrown Chain & Rope Weapons and Thrown Sword.

I dunno, but Hero is a permissive rules set, so you don't Need to find it in a book, just place a value that seems fair. Then adjust if you were off. Sounds like "The Book" lumps thrown and shot into one wide cat. WF: Common X...nothing wrong with going with that. But any Unusual skill likely calls for a seperate WF....

Its under Common missile weapons: Thrown Knives, Axes, and Darts (5th ed Rev. pg 76). Apparently I just made a new weapon category. I see that sai isn't in the uncommon missile weapons which is what prompted me to start this thread. So I guess I'll make it an uncommon for 1 pt.

Of course, what is or isn't a 'common' weapon is going to be somewhat campaign dependent. Just for starters, I take exception to the book listing slings and staffs (!) as 'uncommon' missile and melee weapons -- just because they didn't play a major role on the medieval battlefield proper certainly doesn't mean there weren't plenty of perfectly common folk who knew how to use them! Conversely, it's debatable whether swords, axes, and polearms should really count as 'common' weapons in a modern-day campaign anymore...

But that's mainly an issue of personal taste. Myself, I'd probably do away with the 2-point groups altogether but let familiarity with a weapon that's commonly used both in melee or thrown count for either purpose, and while sais (for example) probably don't get thrown much in real life (as I understand it, the real thing is usually blunt, so the best you could hope for would be to bonk your opponent on the head in a dramatic fashion), I'd let a player get away with that for a suitably cinematic campaign. WF: Thrown Sword, now, that would certainly be distinct from just plain old WF: Swords. :)

Of course, what is or isn't a 'common' weapon is going to be somewhat campaign dependent. Just for starters, I take exception to the book listing slings and staffs (!) as 'uncommon' missile and melee weapons -- just because they didn't play a major role on the medieval battlefield proper certainly doesn't mean there weren't plenty of perfectly common folk who knew how to use them! Conversely, it's debatable whether swords, axes, and polearms should really count as 'common' weapons in a modern-day campaign anymore...

But that's mainly an issue of personal taste. Myself, I'd probably do away with the 2-point groups altogether but let familiarity with a weapon that's commonly used both in melee or thrown count for either purpose, and while sais (for example) probably don't get thrown much in real life (as I understand it, the real thing is usually blunt, so the best you could hope for would be to bonk your opponent on the head in a dramatic fashion), I'd let a player get away with that for a suitably cinematic campaign. WF: Thrown Sword, now, that would certainly be distinct from just plain old WF: Swords. :)

I also take in to concideration how hard it is to learn to use a weapon. I've moved Bows into their own 2-pt group. And all Early Firearms as a 1pt group.

As for the sai being thrown in real life, I agree, I don't think that it was much. But as for cinema, it seems to be thrown enough to be given a WF. Besides, the sai is bought with range (and that has its own issues). What I also don't agree with is, knife, axes, and darts are the same WF (note shuriken follow under this also). I think that those three should be seperate. But that's me.

What I also don't agree with is' date=' knife, axes, and darts are the same WF (note shuriken follow under this also). I think that those three should be seperate. But that's me.[/quote']

Both knife- and axe-throwing use similar motions. The trick is getting the number of rotations right and not snapping your wrist. I'm not sure if I would put darts in the same group with them, but I would put darts with spears.

Yet another way of doing things: I personally allow you to take "WF: Axes" or "WF: Fnives" as separate 1-point Familiarities. If you take them separately like that (instead of as "Axes, Maces, Hammars, Picks" or "Blades" or "Thrown Knives, Axes, Darts"), it includes both HTH and thrown uses of that kind of weapon. Those Familiarities aren't a part of any larger category.

Yet another way of doing things: I personally allow you to take "WF: Axes" or "WF: Fnives" as separate 1-point Familiarities. If you take them separately like that (instead of as "Axes' date=' Maces, Hammars, Picks" or "Blades" or "Thrown Knives, Axes, Darts"), it includes both HTH and thrown uses of that kind of weapon. Those Familiarities aren't a part of any larger category.[/quote']

Seems perfectly reasonable to me....WF: Axes = I know all about using axes Thrown, HTH, vs Pinatas.....