Character concept for Easter

Badger

I was thinking with it being Easter, and how we sometimes have a shortage of characters inspired by Christian legends (as compared to Greek/Egyptian mythologies). That this might be a good idea for a character.

Someone who is the current wielder of the Legendary Holy Lance of Longinus. (the roman spear that supposedly pierced Jesus christ while on the Cross, and was one of the many artifacts sought after through history, and supposedly the Templars, the Nazis and about 100 others supposedly had in their possession at some point.)

Now, my memories are vague on it. And I plan to do some internet research for some ideas. But, I thought, I might pick some brains here for some ideas on what abilities it would have and/or imbue upon the bearer of the weapon (whether it be from the legend or just plain thought up on the spot right here that would fit a campaign, preferably one for this particular section but it isnt necessarily genre-specific)

Re: Character concept for Easter

And here I thought, just going off the thread title, that somebody was looking for advice on how to stat up the Easter Bunny. ;)

As for the Lance of Longinus (a.k.a. the Spear of Destiny, if memory serves)...my first impulse would actually be to give it no powers whatsoever. Make it the genuine article, but it's just an old piece of Roman military hardware that completely failed to earn any special magic by merely shedding the blood of Christ.

Of course, that might be a bit boring. :) So I could think of three or four alternate approaches off the top of my head:

1.) The Lance is actually holy and blessed. In this case, it could have special powers in combat against "evil", or to help your side achieve victory in battle (more boosting morale or granting luck than hurling fireballs, mind :D), or even the power to cleanse and heal wounds.

2.) The Lance is actually cursed. It's quite possibly preternaturally deadly in combat and may inflict wounds that never fully heal, but its wielder cannot put it down for long, will never know peace, and will probably die an ignoble death.

3.) The Lance itself has no special powers...but it acts as a convenient focus for the powers of its current wielder, who may or may not be actually aware of that fact.

4.) Again, the Lance itself has technically no special powers, at least none whose existence is easily proven...but it nonetheless occasionally acts as a 'lightning rod' for what appear to be legitimate miracles, which might be powered either by the commonly held faith in it down through the centuries and arguably even today...or, who knows, maybe by an actual Higher Source.

The Holy Lance isn't lost.

Well, it was. But it was recovered either by Helena, mother of Emperor Constantine, or by a miracle at Antioch during the First Crusade.

the one at the Schatzkammer of the Hofburg in Vienna that Hitler famous seized, is part of the Regalia of the Holy Roman Empire, and is traced to Constantine the Great. It also incorporates a nail from the Crucifixion for extra Smite Evil bonus damage.

The Antioch lance might be in either of two places. It is either enshrined by the Armenian Church at Echmiadzin, or the relic so chivalrously sent by Sultan Bayazid II the the Pope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Lance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayazid_II

No offense, but as a "holy" magic artifact I think the Spear of Longinus/Destiny has been a little overused, in literature and film/television. For purposes of a superhero it might be more innovative to use Aaron's Rod, the staff borne by Moses' brother Aaron (and in some traditions, Moses himself) imbued with extraordinary properties. As you can see from the linked article, later traditions expanded the attributions and feats of the Rod, including a connection to the crucifixion of Jesus. The various powers and uses of the Rod could inspire a very interesting set of superpowers. And IMHO it would fit a bit better with the superhero genre to use a weapon you can clout people with rather than stab them. ;)

The Holy Lance isn't lost.

Well, it was. But it was recovered either by Helena, mother of Emperor Constantine, or by a miracle at Antioch during the First Crusade.

the one at the Schatzkammer of the Hofburg in Vienna that Hitler famous seized, is part of the Regalia of the Holy Roman Empire, and is traced to Constantine the Great. It also incorporates a nail from the Crucifixion for extra Smite Evil bonus damage.

The Antioch lance might be in either of two places. It is either enshrined by the Armenian Church at Echmiadzin, or the relic so chivalrously sent by Sultan Bayazid II the the Pope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Lance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayazid_II

Well, I have to mention for real life, I am a bit bit skeptical of holy relics. As in how could we tell the difference between the spear of Longinus and some other old spear of the time by sight alone necessarily.

No offense' date=' but as a "holy" magic artifact I think the Spear of Longinus/Destiny has been a little overused, in literature and film/television. For purposes of a superhero it might be more innovative to use Aaron's Rod, the staff borne by Moses' brother Aaron (and in some traditions, Moses himself) imbued with extraordinary properties. As you can see from the linked article, later traditions expanded the attributions and feats of the Rod, including a connection to the crucifixion of Jesus. The various powers and uses of the Rod could inspire a very interesting set of superpowers. And IMHO it would fit a bit better with the superhero genre to use a weapon you can clout people with rather than stab them. ;)

Well, thinking on it wouldnt be no reason that a "Holy Warrior" couldnt have both in their person. The spear could be more of a morale booster/killing weapon for unsightly evil things we have no problem killing (zombies, some demons). And the Rod could be the actual primary weapon AKA the big whomping stick.

It could really screw with some opponent the first time they meet. "Quit playing with that little rod, and pull out your real weapon" :sneaky:

Well' date=' I have to mention for real life, I am a bit bit skeptical of holy relics. As in how could we tell the difference between the spear of Longinus and some other old spear of the time by sight alone necessarily.[/quote']

I'm shocked by your cynicism. Shocked, I say.

Probably because you were thinking about Easter and Aaron's rod has nothing to do with that...

In its roots, you're quite right. But if you look in the article I linked to, specifically the "Christian modifications" to the legend of the Rod, here, you'll note the Rod attributed as the transverse of the cross on which Jesus was crucified. Pretty fanciful, but early Christianity seems to have co-opted everything it could from older Jewish traditions. ;)

Well, thinking on it wouldnt be no reason that a "Holy Warrior" couldnt have both in their person. The spear could be more of a morale booster/killing weapon for unsightly evil things we have no problem killing (zombies, some demons). And the Rod could be the actual primary weapon AKA the big whomping stick.

It could really screw with some opponent the first time they meet. "Quit playing with that little rod, and pull out your real weapon" :sneaky:

You could even go D&D and trick him out with other Biblical artifacts and powers. Garb him in Christ's robe or burial shroud, and Solomon's seal-ring. He could take the Nazirite vows to gain the strength of Samson.

Come to think of it, you could build an entire superhero team on this theme. :cool:

I'm shocked by your cynicism. Shocked' date=' I say.[/quote']

Heh, I remember joking one time, that even if we did find the Holy Grail in some archaeological dig, we would probably just think of it as just another cup most likely.

Course, I also remember thinking with all those searches for the Garden of Eden thinking "wait, I remember later on in Genesis they had that whole flood thing, wouldnt that kind of wipe away the garden?"

In its roots' date=' you're quite right. But if you look in the article I linked to, specifically the "Christian modifications" to the legend of the Rod, here, you'll note the Rod attributed as the transverse of the cross on which Jesus was crucified. Pretty fanciful, but early Christianity seems to have co-opted everything it could from older Jewish traditions. ;)

Well, early Christianity was more or less a radical Jewish sect anyhow, to be technical. And seeing the first 60% of the books of the Bible were from before Christianity (as in Old Testament).

I have heard the the Ethiopian churches did have a real lot of Jewish tradition in the ceremonies. Given how they were cut from the European church (the whole collapse of Rome, emergence of Islan can do that to you)

You could even go D&D and trick him out with other Biblical artifacts and powers. Garb him in Christ's robe or burial shroud, and Solomon's seal-ring. He could take the Nazirite vows to gain the strength of Samson.

Come to think of it, you could build an entire superhero team on this theme. :cool:

Well, that would a be a decent idea for a secret team of Vatican supers. Or a long lost sect of Templars alternately.