Taunting

The Overseer

Hi all!

Just a quick scenario and a question (or two)

Nasty McBadguy is attacking the superhero Glass Cannon and giving him a good thrashing.

However, physical punishment is something that Glass Cannon's rocky team-mate Man Mountain can take vast amounts of.

Man Mountain wants to 'taunt' Nasty McBadguy to pull him off Glass Cannon but he is finding it hard to attract Nasty's attention as he can not do very much damage to him (if any).

So my question are:

Is there a pre-existing ability to taunt in the Hero System? (I've had a quick scan of my books but cannot find anything).

If there isn't a pre-existing taunt do you all think that a taunt skill based on PRE would be suitable?

If I create this Taunt skill it would obviously be an opposed roll, so what should it oppose?

Cheers

Re: Taunting

Can a Presence Attack be done at any time?

(There is a penalty for doing it in combat isn't there?)

The Presence Attack itself takes no time, though any actions accompanying it take whatever time they usually would (6E2 138). And yes, Presence Attacks in combat are at -1d6 effectiveness, presumably because anybody in combat will have other things occupying his or her attention as well. Depending on the situation, other modifiers may also apply and compound, compensate for, or even readily overshadow that.

Also keep in mind that while Presence Attacks are rather flexible, some of the modifiers and result descriptions were clearly written with an eye towards straight intimidation attempts and won't necessarily apply to taunts and goading as-is. (For instance, speaking just for myself I probably wouldn't apply the usual bonuses for a "violent action" accompanying the attack, but there might be an extra die or two to be had if the target had an even vaguely applicable Enraged or Berserk.)

Re: Taunting

Presence is definitely the way to go. I remember reading a very good write up on how Presence is used for all kinds of options from intimidation (most common) to provoking someone which would be exactly what you are looking for. But I just can't remember where, if it was in one of the stack of books/supplements (Champs 1st edition to Hero 6th) or on one of the fan sites.

Maybe when one of the old far.....err...venerable elders of the board reads this they may remember.