Searching for Maps

BlueCloud2k2

Does anyone know where I can find some decent Maps (Hex, Grid, blank - doesn't matter) maps that can be downloaded? I don't have the funds for fancy map-making programs (though I do have HexMapper) and need something to use with my PBEM game and my Face-to-Face game.

I've tried searching for Hero Clix maps, d20 Modern Maps, and just about every search parameter I can think of.

I just need a few basic maps, preferable in an image file-format that I can use MS Paint with (GIMP is a plain mystery to me). I'm looking for things such as Subways, Banks, Museums, Schools, Office-buildings, warehouses, etc.

Oh, and on the HexMapper program: does anyone have any interior/building Hexes(let-alone know what HexMapper is? It is a freeware program that generates tactical terrain but you can create your own tiles for it). I've a feeling I'm going to have to create some my own dang self... *sigh*

Re: Searching for Maps

Okay, so I spent the past hour playing with Hex Mapper and MS Paint and this is what I came up with. I think I'm going to spend some time creating templates so I can quickly put together maps for my PBEM game (I'm sending my players this picture as a test-bed sort of thing).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36021[/ATTACH]

What do you think? It's kind of a simple Laboratory with the front area being a sitting room, a couple of large offices and a lab in the back with large Vats to grow things.

http://rpgmapshare.com/

http://dundjinni.com/ (go to the forums and browse user creations)

http://www.inkscape.org/ is awesome for vector mapping. There's even a link to some premade hexmaps:

http://www.godsmonsters.com/Notes/hex-square-grids-mapping/

Install inkscape and then download http://www.hoboes.com/library/downloads/Biblyon/MapGrids.zip

You could also use MapTool (rptools.net). Advantage there is you can save your session, move your tokens, and post directly from MapTool to the ftp site (see attachment). I have a square grid on this map, but you can define a hex map. This would give you the most flexibility, allow you to save state between sessions, and do the basic mapping you want to.

My first attempt with InkScape!

Okay! Here is my first attempt at using Inkscape to create maps. I'm still learning the tools but I think I did pretty good. I created the Hex-Grid myself (so much easier to draw on than a hex-map, and better than the standard Grid.

The scale on the map is that each half-inch square is roughly 2 meters (I guesstimated big time).

Some of the elements (plants, benches, toilets) I got from RPGmapshare.com, and the jewelrystore I copied/tweeked from http://www.realschluss.org/mapping_resources/index.html

Feedback appreciated.

You could also purchase the PDFs of Foxbat For President and War of Worldcraft. There are a number of useful maps in there, and there's adventures to go with them! I never design an adventure without a bunch of reusable locations.

Foxbat For President includes Street Scene, Brownstone, Rural Home, Underground Cavern with Evil Temple, Prison Yard, Hospital. War of Worldcraft includes Maxi-Mart and an abandoned Warehouse.

This year, Unkindness will have a suburban home, a restaurant, a jewelry store, a museum cross section, and a suburban home. (Origins Release Date)

In August, Pretty Hate Machines will have Convention Center (With fashion show centerpiece), Condominium Cross-Section, Warehouse, Oil Refinery, Abandoned Airfield Hangar, Parade Cross-Section, and Super-Blimp

You could also purchase the PDFs of Foxbat For President and War of Worldcraft. There are a number of useful maps in there, and there's adventures to go with them! I never design an adventure without a bunch of reusable locations.

Foxbat For President includes Street Scene, Brownstone, Rural Home, Underground Cavern with Evil Temple, Prison Yard, Hospital. War of Worldcraft includes Maxi-Mart and an abandoned Warehouse.

This year, Unkindness will have a suburban home, a restaurant, a jewelry store, a museum cross section, and a suburban home. (Origins Release Date)

In August, Pretty Hate Machines will have Convention Center (With fashion show centerpiece), Condominium Cross-Section, Warehouse, Oil Refinery, Abandoned Airfield Hangar, Parade Cross-Section, and Super-Blimp

Wow, as plugs go, you can't get anymore shameless than that...

Both adventures sound friggin awesome. I will definitely be setting money aside for these. And I concur, what's the point of creating one-time-use maps for published adventures? Heck, in DnD I've reused maps from issues of DUNGEON where I've used the adventure once, waited a couple of months, and then re-used the map with a few changes (changing where the entrance was, fusing smaller rooms into larger rooms and subdividing massive rooms, and swapping-out all of the Traps and encounters). I managed to get away with this no less than 3 times before the players figured out "Hey! that's the map from Riders of the Storm." I knew I shouldn't have re-used that monastary...

*lighting strikes brain*

I think I'm going to have to pay my DUNGEON collection a visit... some of those maps would be perfect for the lair of an evil genius... *evil grin*